Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Getting a Cybersecurity Degree, Third Party Credits
I want to get a degree a degree in Cybersecurity. I had a provisional plan to get one at TESU but discovered they do not let you "test out" of a bachelors in IT the way they will let you "test out" of a bachelors in business or psychology. So, away went my plan to leverage the heck out of Study.com to make this work. I'm looking into COSC as an alternative, but I'm not sure this approach will work with them either.

I'm aware of WGU's self-paced degree plans. But, to be honest, I'd really prefer pecking away at a degree through third party credits and "cashing in my chips" at the end. I don't think WGU will really let you do that. I've heard that Purdue will let you swap certifications for credits very, very efficiently. But, I'm not sure how much time would be involved in studying for most IT certs vs. the time require for the equivalent courses. So, I'm hesitant to go this route without feedback from others who have gone down a similar path.

I've had it suggested to me that I should get a bachelors in business from the big three because it can be done quickly. Once done, "upgrade" to a Masters in Cybersecurity via WGU and have the "best of both worlds." That might work. It would even help me get into management. But, I'm not 100% sure I'd be fully prepared for the Masters-level material in Cybersecurity if I go that route. Suggestions?
You can't test out of a degree at TESU. That method went away several years ago. For all degrees you can take ACE courses, TECEPs, classes from RA colleges, and TESU. Same for COSC minus the TECEPs.

You can transfer in quite a bit to WGU. You won't be able to get a degree from anywhere exclusively through 3rd party credits.

Do you have IT experience? Cybersecurity experience? Business experience? An interest in taking business courses?
I wasn't referring to testing out quite so literally. Study.com will get you ACE credits as will other providers like Saylor.org. Some of these "courses" are little more than study guides for a credit yielding final exam. I was, admittedly somewhat loosely, referring to ACE courses, TCEP/UXCEL; CLEP/DSST, etc. collectively as testing out with third party credits. Sorry for the confusion.

I realize no matter what I do I'll have to take at least a few courses with my institution of choice when I "cash out" my credits. Sometimes that's as low as 2-3 courses with TESU.

I have a ton of real world IT experience and a fair bit of Cybersecurity experience. I do not have any current certs. I also have business experience but that's more than a decade in the rear view mirror along with intermittent management experience since then.
(07-06-2021, 07:57 PM)retro Wrote: I wasn't referring to testing out quite so literally. Study.com will get you ACE credits as will other providers like Saylor.org. Some of these "courses" are little more than study guides for a credit yielding final exam. I was, admittedly somewhat loosely, referring to ACE courses, TCEP/UXCEL; CLEP/DSST, etc. collectively as testing out with third party credits. Sorry for the confusion.

I realize no matter what I do I'll have to take at least a few courses with my institution of choice when I "cash out" my credits. Sometimes that's as low as 2-3 courses with TESU.

I have a ton of real world IT experience and a fair bit of Cybersecurity experience. I do not have any current certs. I also have business experience but that's more than a decade in the rear view mirror along with intermittent management experience since then.

Back in the day you could actually take actual tests to test out of courses at TESU. They weren't ACE courses.

At TESU and COSC you'll need 24 RA credits aside from the courses required at the school. So you will need to take those credits from another college. ACE credit can't be used for 30 credits at both TESU and COSC. 

You mean transfer your credits? Not sure what else you mean by cash out. 

It's up to you to figure out which degree would suit you best at this point in your career and where you want to go in your career.
None of the Big 3 lets you "test out" of Cybersecurity at all. So that's out. Your best options are what you've already described: Purdue Global or WGU, which are both competency-based. But there's nothing wrong with bringing in as many credits as possible and then actually taking the courses through them to get the remaining credits - you don't HAVE to bring in 90cr. You can take more than the 30cr minimum at WGU (45qcr at PUG) to get a degree.

So, my advice is to look at the 2 degrees, and see which interests you more, and then figure out the best way to cobble together the credits you can get outside of the school, and what you think you can take inside the school, and see which one comes out better. I'm guessing WGU might end up being cheaper (it was $130/week vs. PUG's $250/wk last I checked).

You should also check your company's Tuition Assistance policy to see if they have discounts at either school. That can make a big difference.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 33 2,061 4 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 167 5 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,092 Yesterday, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,274 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 167 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 924 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 529 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,308 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  UMPI Psy Degree Help Priszilla 12 905 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 55 1,802 04-06-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: crowbird