Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students
I took this exam twice. I had just passed the CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ exam, scoring around 93% on both, so I thought maybe I could get a 70% on this one; wrong! I scored 50% the first time.

I then bought the Bird prep software and took the exam again scoring a 52%. While the Bird software helped me out on the Security ICCP exam, it was totally useless for me on this one. I really have had trouble finding good study material for this exam. If I could find study material, I'm sure I could pass it. I'm going to take a class instead. (I'm using the ICCP exams for college credit.)
Sorry to learn you didn't make the cut score. I haven't been visiting the boards for a while now I think the system stopped sending me updates on my subscribed threads.

Anyways, it's good to see that someone's posting more info on the subject. There's very little feedback on the subject so thanks __wings__ for the update. Best of luck with your future exams/courses.
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
__wings__ Wrote:I took this exam twice. I had just passed the CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ exam, scoring around 93% on both, so I thought maybe I could get a 70% on this one; wrong! I scored 50% the first time.

I then bought the Bird prep software and took the exam again scoring a 52%. While the Bird software helped me out on the Security ICCP exam, it was totally useless for me on this one. I really have had trouble finding good study material for this exam. If I could find study material, I'm sure I could pass it. I'm going to take a class instead. (I'm using the ICCP exams for college credit.)

Wings, have you look at the ICCP’s Complete Guide to Professional Computing ? I have been using the list of reference books for each exam to prepare for the Database Administration exam.
Well I got a 70, the minimun needed for passing this exam to be awarded credit through Excelsior.

It was a lot of reading, this exam is not "an intro to SQL" or "intro to DB management". It is for people with 10 -15 years in the field, thus it required quite a bit.

Here is the list of books I used, starting with the basics.

Book used for study

SQL For Dummies, 5th Edition, Allen G. Taylor
Chapter 1, Relational Database Fundamentals
Chapter 2, SQL Fundamentals
Chapter 3, The Components of SQL
Chapter 5, Building a Multitable Relational Database
Chapter 13, Providing Database Security
Chapter 14, Protecting Data

Fundamentals of Database Systems, Third Edition, Ramez Elmasri
Chapter 1, Databases and Database Users
Chapter 2, Database System Concepts and Architecture
Chapter 3, Data Modeling Using the Entity-Relationship Model
Chapter 4, Enhanced Entity-Relationship and Object Modeling
Chapter 5, Record Storage and Primary File Organizations
Chapter 6, Index Structures for Files
Chapter 20, Concurrency Control Techniques
Chapter 26, Data Warehousing And Data Mining

Database Administration: The Complete Guide to Practices and Procedures, 1st edition, Craig S. Mullins
Chapter 1, What is a DBA?
Chapter 3, Data Modeling and Normalization
Chapter 4, Database Design
Chapter 6, Design Reviews
Chapter 7, Database Change Management

the first chapter was available at: InformIT: Database Administration: The Complete Guide to Practices and Procedures

Slides on Distributed DBMS
http://hamilton.bell.ac.uk/databases/doc...cture4.pdf

Intro on Data Flow Diagrams (DFD)
Data Flow Diagrams - Free Online Tutorial

Reverse Engineering a DBMS
http://www.oracle.com/technology/product...tadata.pdf

I tried reading Hoffer, Jeffrey A. Modern Database Management. 8th. Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006 but find it too detailed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes zefrench's post:
  • Yenisei
Congratulations zefrench! You did it!

I am really not looking forward to sitting for this one and I've been putting off preparing for it forever.

Good luck with the next one.
This site has free books for download as PDFs, mostly tech titles
Wow! eBook - Great ebook, great site!
Next ICCP exam result: Integrate IT Project Management.

This exam was tough. I read the book “Integrated IT Project Management
A Model-Centric Approach” by “Kenneth R. Bainey” . I read it over 3 times, it was not enough, I got a 48 my first time around.

Fortunately all but a couple of questions came from that book, so the second time around I re read the book, each chapter over and over until I really knew the material solid, of top of my head. I got a 78 the second time around.

If you look at the google book link of this book, look to see if you can learn from reading this book. I sure found it very very, did I say very, dry, however in my case I cannot stand courses, I would rather do exams, thus why I hunkered down to really study like I had never before.
Wow, this one was hard for me. I passed the exam with a 72% on the third try.

I read the book “Integrated IT Project Management A Model-Centric Approach” by “Kenneth R. Bainey.” In my opinion, it is not a very clear or good textbook, but it does contain most of the answers to questions on the exam.

Next up is my 4th and final ICCP exam, Data Base Administration.
[-] The following 1 user Likes __wings__'s post:
  • prowael
I posted elsewhere on the forum but thought it would be useful here too.

ACE's review validity of ICCP exams has lapsed. I may be mistaken, but I believe that any exam taken after the ACE review validity date expiration is no longer accepted for credit by Excelsior.
Hello guys, 
I really thankful for your helping topics, I really didn't find anyone speaks about ICCP exams anwhere, and finally I find one. I need to get CCP certificate for immigration purpose. I need to start first with IS core exam. 
I have already purchased the ICCP material for this subject, but you may know that it is not that strong one. 
I need your help to suggest me the proper material that I can use to pass this test, please take into consideration that I am someone who working as a computer programmer, but don't have any academic background regards computer science subject (I have graduated from another major).
I have even tried to reach Bird material, but it seems not available anymore. 
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,452 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,129 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,717 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,009 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,786 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,546 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,636 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU/ACE/Microsoft Exams AwardTour 10 2,987 07-13-2018, 11:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,644 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  TESU First Year Foundations & More Questions Lewis.Yim 8 2,938 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim