Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about TESC
I am new to INstacert. I used another study guide and tried to pass Intro to Micro Economics and got a 49, if only it were hand grenades, close would have counted. I am studying for macro economics now on here and hope to take and pass it next week. I am currently enrolled at Eastern New Mexico University. I ended up there because with an airframe and powerplant licesne I only needed 4 classes for an Associate degree. I completed that in December and now I am working on a Bachelor's. I need 17 more classes of which I can only CLEP about 6 of them.
I have been reading posts on here all day and reading the school web sites. TESC offers a BS in Aviation Maintenance Technology and it appears that I would only need about 10 classes. My first question is:

How does the Prior Learning Assesment work? I am a little confused because it talks about a mentor and a 12 week course. Is there a way to use life credit through that without a course?

Also, it seems like most classes have to have proctored exams which would really be a pain. Are there any secrets to get around some of this?

Any other info about TESC or even better, the BS in AMT would be great. I am looking at 4 or so more years where I am and would love to finish as quick as possible.

Thanks for any help.
I forgot to ask before. How does regionally accredited compare to Ohio State or Yale? Also, will the credits transfer to a traditional school if I want to get a MAsters?

Thanks Again
Yale is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). Charter Oak State College is accredited by the same body. Ohio State is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA/HLC). Excelsior College and Thomas Edison State College (and Cornell University, as another example) are accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. All of these accrediting bodies are recognized by the United States Department of Education Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

As for your master's degree question, the issue isn't really transferring of credits (the credits you have earned will have been presumably already applied to your bachelor's degree), but rather being accepted to the master's program you're interested in. Every program has its own criteria for acceptance, but typically they are looking for a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university -- and all of the "Big Three" pass that qualification.

For comparison, consider California Coast University. They are accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). This is often referred to as "national" accreditation. The DETC is also recognized by the Department of Education CHEA, but many (most?) master's programs do not recognize DETC accreditation at this time. Do some Googling if you're curious about the reasons why. :p By the way, I don't mean to knock CCU or DETC-accredited schools generally -- I have heard good things about several of them.

Maybe I'll post again later about unaccredited schools and diploma mills. It can be fascinating to look around at what's out there. Big Grin

-Gary-
Thanks for the info. I am trying to get a Bachelor's though not a Masters. After my last post I was doing more reading and I still cannot figure out TESC tuition. Do you have to pay yearly? I just want to pay per class.
You do have to pay yearly tuition, unless you have joined the Armed Forces and then, you have the option to pay just for the class. If I wasn't in the Navy, I would go for the Comprehensive Tuition. I agree with some that it is a little steep, but having the ability to take 36 credits (either PLA, GS, or TECEP exams) is a great option. If you are seriously trying to finish as quick as possible, I would go this route.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
I was afraid of that. I will have top see if my employer will reimburse me like regular tuition for a class.
larry7crys Wrote:You do have to pay yearly tuition, unless you have joined the Armed Forces and then, you have the option to pay just for the class. If I wasn't in the Navy, I would go for the Comprehensive Tuition. I agree with some that it is a little steep, but having the ability to take 36 credits (either PLA, GS, or TECEP exams) is a great option. If you are seriously trying to finish as quick as possible, I would go this route.
>>

Ok, this might be very picky, but it is important. Before you drop over 3 grand on the comprehensive, consider if you will have a student loan or pell grant. You WONT be able to take anything besides online classes if you get financial aid (no PLA, exams, or guided study). (You can do them but you will have to pay for them all out of pocket)
If you pay cash it won't matter.
So does that mean that I can pay per class? Even if it is more per class, my employer will pay for each class, I just do not think they will pay for a years tuition and classes on top of that.

Does anyone have any info about how exactly the PLA works? That is what I am really interested in.

Thanks,

Doug
Doug,
If at all possible, call and try to get a few answers before enrolling. I can almost guarantee, before they answer more than a question or two about any program, they will want $75.00 registration fee and your transcripts so THEY can determine what you need. Good degree programs, bad customer service. Their programs run 12 weeks now. Since Jennifer is going through them now, she would know better than anyone how they work. They told me 2 weeks ago TECEP's should be scheduled 1-2 months out and it is a pain to find a proctor. I have posted on other websites about their service, it's last to none as far as I'm concerned. One last thing, your better off waiting until your close to completeing your degree before registering because of the high annual fees. The catch-22 is if you do your own planning, what you determine you need might be different from what they say. (I'd almost bet on it). Jennifer, do you concur w/any of this?
You could call and ask an advisor. They either will give you a thumbs up or down or maybe another telephone number. I had to call on 3 different occassions to get an answer straight. You could possibly broker the Navy College deal. $199 per credit hour (reimbursed by employer) for Guided Study or online, $75 registration fee (paid by you), and they costs of books (paid by you too). No annual tuition, enrollment, technology fees. Good Luck!
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 4,981 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,704 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 1,980 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU First Year Foundations & More Questions Lewis.Yim 8 2,917 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  questions for my friend's son maplefu 4 1,297 05-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 8,888 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to get TESU to answer my questions and look at my transcripts? (Discouraged) camjenks 5 1,613 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  TESU and Study.com partnership/discount specific questions Tripletmom 9 3,344 04-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  TESU Academic Eval (Questions - Help Please) Gloddy 6 2,047 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Gloddy