Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about these bachelor's degrees
Thumbs Up 
Hello everyone! Here I am asking for advice, you all have helped me so much, and as I continue to move forward, I need to bounce some ideas off of all of you again.

I have finished my degree at PierPont, and I am taking their one credit HUSV course so that I can have a transcript. My degree will be conferred in December I'm not worried about graduating, I’m happy to be done besides this class.

Where I’m stumped is working towards the future. I never in my life thought that I would be a graduate of a college and now that I’m started I want to push forward. I’m including @JSD’s Omni transcript template with a list of my credits. I currently have a total of 77 credits counting the class I will start on October 8th at Pierpont(One credit class).

My goal is to keep knocking out CLEP exams through Modern States until the end of the year and at some point completing the ALEKS courses for math. I want my BA degree to be in cybersecurity or information technology. The reason being I had six years in the industry before I started my businesses. It seems it would be the most natural fit for me.

I was wondering if you guys have degree plans for COSC, Excelsior, TESU, WGU regarding information technology or if you see a degree my credits might fit into better. I have looked at the respective websites and browsed a couple of catalogs, but all of you know the ins and outs of these different programs better than me.

The next question that I am debating is time vs money, and the learning experience. I know I can transfer into one of these programs and use study.com and the like to test out and wrap up my degree. I know I can do it, and I would be proud to have a bachelors from any of these places but at the same time. I want to apply to some top state schools and private schools. I understand my grades are less than stellar and that I’m not the traditional student and by attending a traditional school it will cost more money and likely take me two years to finish.

The benefits? Networking and a great alumni association. Plus the ability to have my learning disabilities re-evaluated and worked with, mainly dyslexia.

Those are my dilemmas. I do have a few things working in my favor if I attend a traditional university, I’m over 25 which means I will come in as an adult student. I know of at least two professors that would write me a letter of recommendation. My current course work is much better than my past performance, and I have a varied work history with some nice accomplishments I can put on a CV.

Idea’s, Opinions, Thoughts,

TL;DR I’m working on finding a good BA program and looking for your advice!

*Edit My GPA from PierPont will be a 2.2 or 2.5 when it's all said and done. 

Attached Files
.docx   omnitran Life_One CLEP.docx (Size: 57.87 KB / Downloads: 18)
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
Do keep in mind that it's likely that your existing ACE credit (and maybe your CLEP) won't be worth anything at most B&M schools. You don't have that much, so it's not a killer, just something to know. Also, for most B&M schools, you won't get an acceptance until sometime in spring, so your plan of piling up CLEPs in the meantime might not work. All that said, I say go ahead an apply to the schools you really want to go to. If you get a great aid package, or get into a top notch school, it might affect your decision.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Life_One
I can't really address the traditional path, since I haven't the faintest idea on that.

BUT, I will say that having an AAS will do virtually nothing for you at the Big 3, and probably most other schools; they evaluate courses, not degrees. If you end up at a school other than the Big 3 or WGU, be prepared for them to take none of your CLEP/ACE/NCCRS courses, and you may be starting from a worse position than you think (which means it will certainly take longer than 2 years to finish).

If you end up at one of the Big 3, they will obviously take your non-trad credits, but they'll still evaluate each course - so things may not fit into your plan as you thought. I also think that you will have to take at least some of the credits for an IT/Cybersecurity degree there, since there aren't enough inexpensive ACE/NCCRS courses to get you a full degree. You may want to think about enrolling at one of them and taking courses there (for example, do the Comprehensive Plan through TESU, and you can get 36cr in a year).

My advice would be to get your IT/Cybersecurity through WGU, as that is the ONLY school that we talk about here that will take your AAS as a block transfer and take care of all of your GE's. You can then take additional courses through ACE to get a few more major courses under your belt. And then you can enroll at WGU, take your remaining courses, get the degree that you want, and take 1-2 terms to get it for a great price.

If you still want to get that networking thing under your belt (and it may not be necessary with 6 years of experience) then you can always get a graduate degree at your local school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Life_One, zapproximator
Thank you both, I'll work on my plans going forward and see where I end up. Great information to have!
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
Sophia.

Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
TESU BALS. Easiest, friendliest. I searched hours on end for an alternative, and unless you have a lot of credits from the military or something else non traditional it is your best bet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • Life_One
(10-01-2018, 12:24 PM)jjsafari Wrote: TESU BALS. Easiest, friendliest. I searched hours on end for an alternative, and unless you have a lot of credits from the military or something else non traditional it is your best bet.

Wonderful! Thank you for the information. I'll put that in my notes too.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
Sophia.

Since you mentioned that you run a business, but you have interest in IT - then the TESU BSBA-CIS might be of interest if you want to stick with the self-paced option, you can use the alternative credit providers like Study.com, SL and such to complete https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/compu...on-systems

WGU also has a Business/IT combo with thier BS Business - IT Management path https://www.wgu.edu/online-business-degr...ogram.html# - info about WGU's self-paced competency listed (they will likely give you a block Gen Ed for your PierPont Associate Degree (knowing that you will have access to a transcript to send WGU since you're taking a course with them).  This would would for them as well under most of  their IT programs as well if you forgo the business area all together: https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees.html#

I want to add that I noticed that you show a D for your Written English II (Comp II) course, I think TESU would require it to be taken again.  I believe that the Comp I & II must be a C or higher when graded.  The other D courses should be accepted for credit at TESU however.

Once you get your BOG AAS, I would apply to WGU since it is free to apply (for whichever program interested you the most) and send them your Pierpont transcript proving you're a ASS graduate; and see if they do give you the block transfer (the AAS works for many, but not all their programs)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Life_One
(10-01-2018, 12:24 PM)jjsafari Wrote: TESU BALS. Easiest, friendliest. I searched hours on end for an alternative, and unless you have a lot of credits from the military or something else non traditional it is your best bet.

Why bother with a BALS when you specifically want an IT degree?  And he spoke about networking - again, that's not going to get you anywhere with a BALS.

I think there are plenty of options in the IT area, without downgrading to a BALS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-01-2018, 01:05 PM)allvia Wrote: and send them your Pierpont transcript proving you're a ASS graduate;

12 year old me LOL'ed.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • jsd, Life_One
(10-01-2018, 01:38 PM)quigongene Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:05 PM)allvia Wrote: and send them your Pierpont transcript proving you're a ASS graduate;

12 year old me LOL'ed.

I know it did, ha - glad I didn't make you cry Wink   But this is why I stated in my post  for the "general audience" that I knew he would have one (seeing he paid to take a course with them - specifically so he could get it; which is something they should provide automatically - but don't for that degree)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • quigongene

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 511 04-17-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 611 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,793 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 742 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 215 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,738 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 445 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 273 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill