Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions from a Newbie
I have searched the threads and used the search button but still have questions.

1. What is OD- the robots and computer?

2. How do you get set up with ALEKS?

3. Should I get all of my kids an ACE transcript?

4.  Has anyone used Speedy Prep and is it worth the money for Clep?

5.  My three kids want a degree in Info systems or Cybersecurity.  Two of my kids are high functioning autistic but are great at school.  It is the reason we like online.  Any suggestions for them that are in high school and can do concurrent enrollment through BYU I where the credits are only $30 a credit?  

By the way I can't thank you enough for all the info on this site.  SO AWESOME!!! Hopefully, i can learn some new tricks so I can help someone else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wildandcrazykids's post:
  • suzycupcake
1) OnlineDegree.com

2) You just sign up for an account, and start doing whichever course you want that is ACE-recommended

3) Each kid who is planning on earning alternative college credit will need an ACE account so those credits can go somewhere. You don't order a transcript until you're ready to send the credits to a college.

4) Never used, I doubt it's worth the money

5) BYU doesn't have computer courses, but they do have a lot (maybe all?) of the Gen Ed's they'll need for any of the Big 3 schools. Take those. A bunch of RA graded credits is a much better option for your kids than alternative credit if the price is the same. They can be transferred to ANY school in the country, rather than just the Big 3 (as opposed to much of the alternative credit we recommend on here).

You may want to look into Homeschooling for College Credit, because it sounds like that's more of where you're at right now than headed for the Big 3. You may end up there, but you may not, and you don't want to limit your kids' options right now.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Imbanewbie, suzycupcake
Thank you so much dfrecore. I really appreciate it. Smile
I didn't realize that BYU had a dual enrollment price that was lower, but that makes sense. I have heard good things about their Independent Study classes. However, I have also heard that the BYU class fee does not include proctor fees for the exams, and that is an extra expense.

I agree with dfrecore that it is a good idea to take as many RA credits as possible. My son is 19 and out of high school and through homeschooling and his efforts at dabbling in college, he has about 50% RA and 50% ACE right now. That leaves his options open for a college that doesn't accept ACE.

I have heard pretty good things about Onlinedegree.com and my son is considering a few courses. I have not heard of Speedy Prep.

I also agree that you should check out https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.com/ and your state specific Homeschooling for College Credit facebook page.

Good luck and keep reading the forum, there is SO MUCH information shared here every day!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 215 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 760 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,304 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,705 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 775 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 422 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HSE questions Celiics 9 1,312 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Celiics
  Questions about Davar Academy "Business class". qiaoyiren 11 1,804 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions about TEEX’s Death Investigation course Michelle779 3 1,703 06-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  New to the forum, couple questions. ARhead 29 4,451 03-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: ARhead