Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on College Composition
I'm studying for the Clep College Composition. 

I would like to know how many words is the essay? People suggest to write it out before hand, but I'm not sure, is it 500 words?

Second, how many Citations do I need? 

Thank you.
I thought that you were given a prompt (or a few) and had to choose one - so no way to actually write it ahead of time as you won't know what it will be.

But, I think that if you wanted to practice writing a few essays isn't a bad thing to practice, especially if you time yourself (I think the exam is 45 min).

Also, if you get the CLEP Official Study Guide, it tells you what they're looking for (so the scoring rubric). Then, it gives a sample topic and then 3 sample essays written on that topic - with scores and commentary (so WHY the essay scored what it did).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I thought you were suppose to use citations? How am I suppose to use a citation if they give me a random topic at the location?

Also, how many words is it?
(02-20-2019, 06:26 PM)FishNDip Wrote: I thought you were suppose to use citations? How am I suppose to use a citation if they give me a random topic at the location?

They provide the sources for you to cite. I don't recall there being a word count, though I could be misremembering as it's been a while since I took the test.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-20-2019, 06:26 PM)FishNDip Wrote: I thought you were suppose to use citations? How am I suppose to use a citation if they give me a random topic at the location?

The current college composition CLEP exam appears to consist of 50 multiple-choice questions (with 50 minutes to complete) and two essays (with 30 minutes to complete the first and 40 minutes to complete the second). Neither essay appears to have a specific word count requirement, but they cannot be done in advance.

The first essay is an opinion piece where you read a provided statement and discuss how you agree or disagree with it. No citations are required for this one. In the second essay, they provide you with sources that you use to create an argumentative essay, using citations to reference the sources. So you don't have to do any research, just use the provided sources.

Neither essay appears to require any specific citation style, as long as it is consistent, though it would probably be good to use MLA or APA style since you'll be using those two a lot in college courses.

You should take a look at the CLEP website for this exam. It answers all your questions and more:
https://clep.collegeboard.org/compositio...omposition
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
With the word count, my teachers always tell me to believe in quality over quantity. If you think you can write a strong 250 word essay, then do it.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(02-20-2019, 12:04 PM)FishNDip Wrote: I'm studying for the Clep College Composition. 

I would like to know how many words is the essay? People suggest to write it out before hand, but I'm not sure, is it 500 words?

Second, how many Citations do I need? 

Thank you.

How did you end up doing on the CLEP? I've been so nervous to take it and its literally the only thing left to do in order to get my AA. & do you have any resources that might help?
WELL, since you asked I got a 48, so Meh. I used Modern States, It's probably the essay that got me, but I'll take it again so no worries. I'd try practicing essays, before you go. I was probably to nervous and didn't articulate my essay subject well enough.

Curious if any knows, if you mess up on a clep test, will that grade affect your college GPA? Or is it only your final grades that you send in your transcripts that your future employer will see??
(03-24-2019, 10:40 PM)FishNDip Wrote: WELL, since you asked I got a 48, so Meh. I used Modern States, It's probably the essay that got me, but I'll take it again so no worries. I'd try practicing essays, before you go. I was probably to nervous and didn't articulate my essay subject well enough.

Curious if any knows, if you mess up on a clep test, will that grade affect your college GPA? Or is it only your final grades that you send in your transcripts that your future employer will see??

Schools only grant credit for CLEP exams that meet the minimum pass level, so you should either get a PASS or the exam will be ignored. Not to mention, you could always choose not to send the score to your school if you don't like the results. However, if you fail, you cannot retake a CLEP exam for like 3 months.

Also, so you know... most schools don't count transfer credit into your institutional GPA anyway; that is based only on work you have done specifically at the school. If the GPA earned at other schools (from transferred credits–which includes CLEP) shows up on your transcript at all, it will usually be listed as a separate line item or be calculated into a cumulative GPA line item. Because transfer credits are not part of the institutional GPA at your current college, they should not impact things like academic standing, etc. Also, failed CLEPS and failed ACE course don't appear on your transcript at all.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • FishNDip
(03-25-2019, 02:43 AM)Merlin Wrote: Schools only grant credit for CLEP exams that meet the minimum pass level, so you should either get a PASS or the exam will be ignored. Not to mention, you could always choose not to send the score to your school if you don't like the results. However, if you fail, you cannot retake a CLEP exam for like 3 months.

Also, so you know... most schools don't count transfer credit into your institutional GPA anyway; that is based only on work you have done specifically at the school. If the GPA earned at other schools (from transferred credits–which includes CLEP) shows up on your transcript at all, it will usually be listed as a separate line item or be calculated into a cumulative GPA line item. Because transfer credits are not part of the institutional GPA at your current college, they should not impact things like academic standing, etc. Also, failed CLEPS and failed ACE course don't appear on your transcript at all.

Ok, thank you! I'm sending my scores to TESU. Let's say my scores are "calculated into a cumulative GPA line item"  What number do my transcript Clep scores have to be to get a 3.0 GPA? 60, 70?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 175 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 307 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 197 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP