Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick gen ed credits
Can anyone recommend two quick/easy gen ed courses? I still have 6 credits that i need to fill in that area. The courses that I've already taken are listed in my signature if that helps.
CLEP Social Science for 6 hours, TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Math, CLEP or SL Intro to Sociology or Anthropology....
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
It really depends on what you're good at. But Shmoop is considered one of the easier ways to get credits. Obviously Saylor is an option, especially if there's something there that you're good at already and can just quickly pass an exam for $25 - can't hurt to take a shot.

I like things that build on what you've already taken, like if you've taken Psych 101, you can take Human Growth & Development (DSST or Study.com). If you're good at computers, there are options there. TEEX has one that will work. Corp Comm and Managerial Comm - one works in Gen Ed while the other goes in the Core. That kind of thing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I've thought about the Social Science CLEP but my local testing center increased their testing fee to $50 and I'd rather not have to pay that. What Shmoop courses would you recommend dfrecore?
Cultural Anthropology and Religion at SL. Do you need to take American Government too?
Shmoop literature courses are straightforward and you could use some to help fill up the free electives too.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
Btaylor89 Wrote:I've thought about the Social Science CLEP but my local testing center increased their testing fee to $50 and I'd rather not have to pay that. What Shmoop courses would you recommend dfrecore?

I haven't taken any Shmoop courses, so I'm just going by what people on here have said. The price is right, that's for sure.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Btaylor89 Wrote:I've thought about the Social Science CLEP but my local testing center increased their testing fee to $50 and I'd rather not have to pay that. What Shmoop courses would you recommend dfrecore?

It might be worth sitting down and planning a bit so that you can maximize credits from Shmoop or SL.
I managed to complete 10 courses at Shmoop in a month, but I had already read a vast majority of the material and already knew a bit about poetry. I put about 120 hours in total with Brit Lit and Euro History taking up the most time.

For me the courses go in this order based on difficulty, but others might suggest different. I guess it is also based on what you find interesting too.
Shakespeare's Plays
Intro to Poetry
Lit in the Media
Drugs in Lit
Women's Lit
Holocaust Lit
Western Lit
Modernist Lit
British Lit - not difficult, just very long.

Bible Lit looks like a smaller course than some of the others, so it might possibly fit high up on the list, but I didn't take it.
American Lit is a long course like British Lit.
I wouldn't bother with Contemporary Lit, the questions were just too ambiguous.
I took one history course, European History, and that was a long one too.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
I think some people did the US History I & II and European History when those were the first courses available, and there was some overlap with US II and Euro Hist.

One thing to think about with US History II is that you may already know a lot of the info.
This isn't an objective question, I think it is subjective with some objective overlap.

For example, I completed History of the Vietnam war(Study.com) fast, since it had few lessons(around 70 or less) and it was interesting to me. ($200 with a full month subscription)
I also completed intro. to religions from Straigherline fast, since it is an intro class but also super interesting. (With coupon code probably around $99-120)

I'd take a look at the Saylor courses to see what might interest you and in turn be fast by being an introduction class or something you already have knowledge towards:
https://www.saylor.org/credit/

The cost will only be $25 for the proctored exam and you will not have do quizzes, chapter tests or any other assignments. You can just go straight to the exam after you feel you've studied enough. Good luck!
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
Personally, nothing was "quicker" than Straighterline for me. So if “fast” is your top priority, I recommend SL. They also will send transcripts directly to TESU in case you don’t want to wait on the ACE Transcript. With coupon codes, the cost of Straighterline can be hard to beat by anything other than “free” or Saylor’s $25 proctor fee. I found the two easiest Gen Ed courses there to be World Religion & Cultural Anthropology.
However, since you still have some AOS courses to go, and are familiar with how Study.com works, rather than trying to figure out a new system, I recommend that you consider just plugging in a few more courses there. At full retail, it is just $200 for 2 classes in one month with no textbooks to worry about. Interestingly enough, I found both Social Psychology and Research Methods in Psychology to be straightforward and simple, even though they are UL. My 14 yo brother and 15 yo sister just took those two courses along with Abnormal Psychology without any previous experience with Psychology and did great. They agree with me on the ease and also recommend Environmental Science as another simple option (I took that at SL).
Completed: 
TESU BA Social Sciences, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited)
WGU MBA in Healthcare Management (ACBSP Accredited)
In Progress: Creighton University PharmD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,106 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,265 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,837 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,602 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,373 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,794 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,849 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,420 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE? Silly_Me 27 10,716 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: scout2family