Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quickest Associates Degree and degree plan?
Hello,

Could you please help advise me on the quickest Associate's degree for my niece who just graduated high school?  I suggest TESU's Associates of Natural Science and Mathematics in Computer Science without a capstone.  She is interested.  (I also have this degree.)  

1. Have the transfer credit requirements at TESU changed since I graduated?  
2. Can she take nearly all the requested courses and transfer them in?  
3. Doesn't she still need to take one course at TESU?  
4. Can anyone please advise?
5. Would you please help with a degree plan for her?  I remember I used Sophia.org and Study.com for many classes.  If there are cheaper or free options now available, please let me know.

Thank you for your help!
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
How old is your niece? If she graduated before she turned 18, she'll have to wait to enter TESU. Why does she want/need an Associate degree? An Associate degree from TESU is almost as expensive as a Bachelor's degree! And it won't be that much faster, either.

Residency waiver for taking fewer than 16 credits: $3288
Cost per TESU credit: $519

Minimum TESU tuition & fees for Associate degree: $4845
Minimum TESU tuition & fees for Bachelor's degree: $6402
Difference: $1557

If niece is able to do a flat-rate 16-credit term, she could knock tuition down to $4778 and no residency waiver fee.

(06-01-2023, 11:33 AM)collegechick Wrote: 1. Have the transfer credit requirements at TESU changed since I graduated?  
Maybe. I forget when things changed. TESU currently requires 30 RA credits for Bachelor's degrees and 15 RA credits for Associate degrees. RA credit may come from ASU Universal Learner, TECEPs, TEL Learning, or (almost) free courses at Finnish universities.

(06-01-2023, 11:33 AM)collegechick Wrote: 2. Can she take nearly all the requested courses and transfer them in?  
Technically, yes. But, as previously stated, the Associates at TESU are kind of expensive if you're not getting them "free" with a Bachelor's degree.

(06-01-2023, 11:33 AM)collegechick Wrote: 3. Doesn't she still need to take one course at TESU?  
Yes, the cornerstone. TESU Associate degrees are kind of expensive, though.

COSC is out of the question for Bachelor's degrees, but they might still be a cheap option for Associate degrees. I haven't investigated lately. 

The next fastest/cheapest option is probably Purdue University Global. 

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/As...7s_Degrees

(06-01-2023, 11:33 AM)collegechick Wrote: 5. Would you please help with a degree plan for her?  I remember I used Sophia.org and Study.com for many classes.  If there are cheaper or free options now available, please let me know.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...gree_Plans

For new cheap/free options for (mostly) electives, Coursera has entered the chat:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • collegechick, origamishuttle
(06-01-2023, 11:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote: How old is your niece? If she graduated before she turned 18, she'll have to wait to enter TESU. Why does she want/need an Associate degree? An Associate degree from TESU is almost as expensive as a Bachelor's degree! And it won't be that much faster, either.

Residency waiver for taking fewer than 16 credits: $3288
Cost per TESU credit: $519

Minimum TESU tuition & fees for Associate degree: $4845
Minimum TESU tuition & fees for Bachelor's degree: $6402
Difference: $1557

If niece is able to do a flat-rate 16-credit term, she could knock tuition down to $4778 and no residency waiver fee.

(06-01-2023, 11:33 AM)collegechick Wrote: 1. Have the transfer credit requirements at TESU changed since I graduated?  
Maybe. I forget when things changed. TESU currently requires 30 RA credits for Bachelor's degrees and 15 RA credits for Associate degrees. RA credit may come from ASU Universal Learner, TECEPs, TEL Learning, or (almost) free courses at Finnish universities.

(06-01-2023, 11:33 AM)collegechick Wrote: 2. Can she take nearly all the requested courses and transfer them in?  
Technically, yes. But, as previously stated, the Associates at TESU are kind of expensive if you're not getting them "free" with a Bachelor's degree.

(06-01-2023, 11:33 AM)collegechick Wrote: 3. Doesn't she still need to take one course at TESU?  
Yes, the cornerstone. TESU Associate degrees are kind of expensive, though.

COSC is out of the question for Bachelor's degrees, but they might still be a cheap option for Associate degrees. I haven't investigated lately. 

The next fastest/cheapest option is probably Purdue University Global. 

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/As...7s_Degrees

(06-01-2023, 11:33 AM)collegechick Wrote: 5. Would you please help with a degree plan for her?  I remember I used Sophia.org and Study.com for many classes.  If there are cheaper or free options now available, please let me know.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...gree_Plans

For new cheap/free options for (mostly) electives, Coursera has entered the chat:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera

Thank you SO much for the helpful information!  My niece turns 18 in one week.  I didn't realize the cost difference and can see your logic behind just going after the Bachelor's degree.  We were encouraging her to start off with an Associates to get her feet wet into college because she isn't sure about school.  

If we go ahead with the Bachelor's, do you still advise TESU or are there quicker/cheaper options? Which Bachelors would be the quickest in your opinion?  Thank you.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
UMPI would be the quickest/cheapest, but she'd have to wait 2 years for admission (until she turned 20). Alas.

As for which one would be the quickest, that depends on her interests. Excelsior would theoretically be the cheapest (no RA or residency credit requirements and lower tuition rates), but they require 30 UL credits and charge $300 per transcript evaluation after the first evaluation has been completed. For the cheapest degree, you must hit the correct number of credits within 1 or 2 transfers. Not impossible, but one would need to plan carefully.

Is she actually interested in a tech-related degree or did she just want the same ASNSM Comp Sci that her aunt got? Smile If she's actually interested in a tech degree, it's difficult to beat a TESU Comp Sci degree. If she's not sure about tech, I recommend she sign up for the free TADA credit-bearing Coursera certificates and giving them a try.

If she's not interested in tech, whatever she is interested in will be fastest and easiest. A History degree will be faster and easier than a Psych degree for someone who loves History. But a Psych degree will be faster and easier if she loves Psychology. And so on. If she's not sure, she can get started on Sophia classes and see if any of the gen eds strike her fancy. Maybe she'll discover a new love for something that she wasn't exposed to in HS.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • allvia, origamishuttle, ss20ts
Hey! Long time no chat...  Since the student is still young, I suggest completing a combination mix/match of certs, degree, experience.  Does the student have a part time job anywhere that has tuition assistance or reimbursement?  I would get them started with the cheapies/freebies, CLEP/MS, and Sophia.org until they get about 90 credits... 

You can create an action plan, using templates already on the WIKI for an Associates at TESU and BALS, she can decide on the concentration (if she wants one), so technically, it'll be the same way you've done yours, except there are 30 RA requirements now, this can be done cheaply using TEL Learning, TECEPS, or community college credits, etc.

Coursera/TADA freebies: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera
Free Sources of Credit: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 17 188 29 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 103 1 hour ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 257 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 278 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Associates after Bachelors? 2nd Bachelors aslhou 16 557 03-25-2024, 08:41 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737