Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time
I am told by a State Veterans Rep that no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time starting 1 Jan 2016, This will affect a few folks.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

My SIL, for one. He's got another week or so of terminal leave.
Interesting. My state doesn't allow you to collect unemployment if you're a full time college student anyway (I looked into it when I was on it right after I got out of the military).
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
Slowly stripping away the benefits of the GI bill. By time I get around to using mine it will be worthless. College will already be free and they will somehow pass a law saying if you make X amount you can't collect BAH. They already made it so you can't collect BAH in between terms
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
Makes sense to me. If you choose to be a full time student, you are not unemployed. Imagine if all the kids at state U started collecting unemployment. Many students have to get PT jobs for beer money or to even make ends meet, post 9/11 is already giving you a small stipend, if that's not enough may be you should look into work study programs or something else.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Makes sense to me. If you choose to be a full time student, you are not unemployed. Imagine if all the kids at state U started collecting unemployment. Many students have to get PT jobs for beer money or to even make ends meet, post 9/11 is already giving you a small stipend, if that's not enough may be you should look into work study programs or something else.

Don't get me wrong, you're not unemployed if you're a full time student. (unless you were going to school full time and working full time then got laid off, at which point it would be in your best interest to quit school if you lose your job which makes 0 sense.) But there is no doubt that the GI bill isn't as good as it was 10 years ago. Personally, I just don't like the fact that you only get the BAH for the months you're in class. So if you take 3, 6 or 8 week classes at one time in a 16 week semester even though you are full time you only receive 2 months of BAH. Or if there is a month break between courses you don't get paid for the month.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
You can get training unemployment (TUI) in some states.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,326 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 1,975 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,318 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  7 months of post 9/11 after completing masters subhuman 4 2,245 02-08-2018, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Commencement speech at the University of Texas is the best one of all time! Life Long Learning 1 1,969 06-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Last Post: originalamyj
  GI Bill Dilemma Leherself 9 3,040 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill - webinar Life Long Learning 0 1,209 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,618 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  A word of caution if using Post 9/11 GI Bill Prloko 9 2,624 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  One-time $4500 allowance for a certificate? Any recommendations? (TA-related) OfficerA 3 1,131 03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Last Post: OfficerA