Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Act of Kindness
Ever do something just "because" for complete strangers you've never met and will probably never meet again? There are the usual ones of holding the door for someone carrying things, letting someone into traffic who is stuck trying to get out of a parking lot...but something more intentional.

Always around Christmas, but also throughout the year at random intervals, when I stop at Starbucks, I pick up the tab of the car behind me at the drive-thru and just tell the employee at the window to tell the next person "Merry Christmas" or "Have a great day." I did that this morning, and the girl swiping my card said she has seen runs of cars that pay it back once it starts. She said their record is 17 cars that keep buying the next car's drinks. That's 17 complete strangers that helped each other smile and hopefully start their day a bit brighter. That makes me smile!

What are some other ideas? Maybe some kid-friendly ones? I'd love for my son to know that warm and fuzzy feeling of gifting an anonymous person with a smile. We are working with a senior home to get him and some of his homeschool friends in to keep company, read, etc. I like the completely anonymous ideas, though, where the recipient has no idea who their present came from and does not have the opportunity to say "thank you" so it hopefully inspires them to show thanks by doing something similar for some other stranger.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
I've heard of those car runs too! That is such a great idea! The senior home is another great idea!

Every Christmas our family goes to the Salvation Army and we ask the Captain to select a family that is in danger of being evicted or having their heat turned off. Then we pay the rent or the heat. We always send a card (anonymously) telling them that because we have been blessed we would like to pass the blessing on to them. It's always so rewarding know that you've helped someone without getting all the glory. Smile
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
I used to have a neighbor that would fill a lunch bag with homemade snacks a craft project and a nice anonymous note saying have a great day and pass on the happiness. The bags were dropped off at the front doors early in the morning and when you walked out to work or school you found it. What a great way to start a day. I only found out by accident when I stopped by when some of the bag packing was going on. This is something the kids could do.

By the way I love random acts of kindness and the pay it forward idea. The movie pay it forward is a favorite. My daughter has a bumper sticker that says "practice random acts of kindness". I have done similar things and I always feel that I get paid back many times over from the warm feeling I get.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Extra-$ idea for those that have acquired their BA kevinmane 6 1,063 10-11-2015, 03:58 AM
Last Post: dbwdb