Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ready to Test?
clep3705 Wrote:I can argue that a 54 is better than a 74. A 74 indicates far more time than was necessary was spent preparing. A 54 indicates just enough time was spent freeing up time to be spent studying for another test. Of course, if you really need to know the material, a 74 is better. If it is a general education requirement in a subject that you have no interest in, a pass is a pass.

Let's discuss guessing. If you have no idea which answer is correct on a real test, guess. You might get lucky. It could make the difference between passing and not passing. For a practice test, don't guess. If you have no idea what the answer is, don't answer. If you're not highly confident of the answer on a practice test, you should leave it blank. The purpose of a practice test isn't the ego gratification of how smart you are. The real value of a practice test is identifying what you don't know. I personally take it a step further. If I know the answer on a practice test, but can't explain why one of the wrong answers is wrong, I leave the question unanswered. Use the practice tests to identify gaps in your knowledge.

I mostly agree, except I think since both of us (ajbags' son and I) are high-school age, this is probably the first time we're exposed to a CLEP subject (at least at high school or college level). For example, I'm studying CLEP Psychology more like a normal (homsechool) student would (I'm going through a full-sized textbook, listening to opencourseware lectures etc) since before starting to study for this CLEP, I knew exactly 0 psychology and this (I think) is something I ought to actually know and not JUST cram for the CLEP.
I think oscar06 phrased this pretty well when he left some specific exam feedback: Because I had never taken a US History course, my dad helped me put together a roadmap that included full courses so I could thoroughly LEARN US History I, and not just study to pass an exam.

Any thoughts?
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
clep3705 Wrote:I can argue that a 54 is better than a 74. A 74 indicates far more time than was necessary was spent preparing.

Not necessarily - I did not spend more than a hour studying for the Management and Marketing CLEP's, but scored decently on them because I knew the material from prior courses/work experience. So no assumptions can be made that a higher score indicates more study time.

Also, some schools won't accept the pass rate, but want a higher score. So you need to know the passing score for your school, not just for ACE.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
clep3705 Wrote:I can argue that a 54 is better than a 74. A 74 indicates far more time than was necessary was spent preparing. A 54 indicates just enough time was spent freeing up time to be spent studying for another test. Of course, if you really need to know the material, a 74 is better. If it is a general education requirement in a subject that you have no interest in, a pass is a pass.

Let's discuss guessing. If you have no idea which answer is correct on a real test, guess. You might get lucky. It could make the difference between passing and not passing. For a practice test, don't guess. If you have no idea what the answer is, don't answer. If you're not highly confident of the answer on a practice test, you should leave it blank. The purpose of a practice test isn't the ego gratification of how smart you are. The real value of a practice test is identifying what you don't know. I personally take it a step further. If I know the answer on a practice test, but can't explain why one of the wrong answers is wrong, I leave the question unanswered. Use the practice tests to identify gaps in your knowledge.

that's good advice- leave it blank and mark it wrong. A better represention for sure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 467 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,414 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 931 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Free access to job ready Coursera certs cardiacclep 22 3,924 06-28-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: sayazop
  Inside the Vast National Experiment in Test-Optional College Admissions LevelUP 2 838 04-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 778 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Med School Tutors now part of Blueprint Test Prep! bjcheung77 0 478 11-01-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Management Test Battery (MTB) Exam? Merlin 9 4,420 03-08-2020, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  A college like WGU where I can test out of a degree Fast!! Please help!! Forest.green1 14 4,550 01-04-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Merlin