Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realistic plan?
(07-31-2019, 07:25 PM)natshar Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 05:12 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 04:56 PM)natshar Wrote: But I'm guessing OP is doing multiple courses at TESU for aid purposes.

If you are close to 16 you might want to consider replacing some of the courses with TESU courses to avoid the wavier.

Yes, I'm doing Network Technologies and Statistics through TESU to get financial aid. So just the 9 credits, including the Capstone.
Wouldn't it be more expensive to do 16 credits with TESU than to pay the waiver? I do qualify for a Pell Grant if that makes a difference.

But don't you have TES-100 as well? That makes 10 credits. You would only need to do 6 more credits at TESU. You don't have to do this, it is just an idea. The waiver is $2800. TESU (in state assuming you are using study.com) is 379/cr. 379 x 6 is ~2300 and that is before the pell grant. It would actually be much cheaper to do 16.

Speaking of saving money, Davar courses are only $100 for two so that's $50 each. They offer three of the courses you need to do: international business, finance and management information systems. It might be worth it doing management info systems which comes in as UL, through them along with a business core course. It would save you the time of doing a study.com assignment (no papers!) and money. If you don't like this idea, just switch out where I said Davar back to study.com.

This is an example plan: (you don't have to follow it, just an idea)
  • The month of August: Start on Davar and/or Study.com. Hopefully, get at least one course done, then you have less to do later. Principles of Finance would probably be an easy one. Especially if you have some basic financial skills/literacy. One month to hopefully do one course.
  • September Term at TESU: stats, network technology (While in these courses also work on sdc, 3 months to do 3 courses so one course a month, or two courses if you worked ahead in August)
  • December Term at TESU: 6 credits AOS courses. Only two on your list are available at TESU C++ and database management. database management is UL.  (also work on Davar courses, 3 months to finish 2 courses)
  • February Term at TESU: capstone (if needed you could always finish up one study.com course or Davar alongside it if you didn't finish it in time)
    Note, this term you won't qualify for the Pell Grant due to only 3 credits. If you wish to take this alongside other courses, just do the TESU courses including the capstone in 2 terms and divide it up that way. Or add another degree required class alongside the capstone this 3rd term. If you just took the capstone by itself you can do that, but you would get no pell grant. You need 6 credits in a term to qualify for aid.

With the February Capstone, you would then qualify for June graduation.

Globalization and International Management (Davar or SDC)
Management Information Systems (Davar or SDC)

Principles of Finance (SDC or Davar)
Systems Analysis and Design (SDC)
Digital Marketing and Advertising (SDC)

Intro to C++ (TESU)
Database Management (TESU)
Network Technologies (TESU)
Statistics (TESU)
Capstone (TESU)

How good is Davar?  I see that they aren’t ACE accredited, so I just wanted to check before I spent any money there.  Are their courses decent?
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
Davar is more like a test-out, especially the courses without written assignments. You just study and take one exam, instead of taking a bunch of quizzes first. But some courses have papers (in the same way some Study.com courses do). Some exams are like TECEPs because they have open-ended questions where you write. So it depends on your learning style and whether you like test-taking. Davar fits my style well, although I also like Study.com.

They are NCCRS instead of ACE, so you want to be sure that you won't switch schools (unless the new school takes NCCRS).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • natshar
(08-01-2019, 08:43 AM)Ideas Wrote: Davar is more like a test-out, especially the courses without written assignments. You just study and take one exam, instead of taking a bunch of quizzes first. But some courses have papers (in the same way some Study.com courses do). Some exams are like TECEPs because they have open-ended questions where you write. So it depends on your learning style and whether you like test-taking. Davar fits my style well, although I also like Study.com.

They are NCCRS instead of ACE, so you want to be sure that you won't switch schools (unless the new school takes NCCRS).

But unlike CLEP or other test outs they give you all of the study material you need. On the ones I referred to there didn't seem to be any large papers or projects.
(07-31-2019, 03:59 PM)natshar Wrote: Well TESU courses are 12 weeks long. So you might want to factor that in.

If you want to graduate in September 2020, you would need to register for either March, April or May 2020 capstone. If you have to graduate by August, you will graduate in June 2020. In order to do that you need to register for the December, January, or February capstone. TESU only grants degrees four times a year (March, June, September, December)

And those look like a lot of area of study courses you still have left. You will need them all done and evaluated before signing up for the capstone. So pick the term you want to register for the capstone work backward from there. But you'd have to have everything done a month before the capstone you want to allow TESU time to evaluate everything and also for you register for that capstone.

Remember TESU has a 90 credit limit for one source. If you used study.com a lot for the rest of your degree, you might have to use something else for some of them.

SOS-110 is 8 weeks right? Everything else is 12 weeks at TESU as you said, is that correct?
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • natshar
(08-01-2019, 10:25 AM)AwardTour Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 03:59 PM)natshar Wrote: Well TESU courses are 12 weeks long. So you might want to factor that in.

If you want to graduate in September 2020, you would need to register for either March, April or May 2020 capstone. If you have to graduate by August, you will graduate in June 2020. In order to do that you need to register for the December, January, or February capstone. TESU only grants degrees four times a year (March, June, September, December)

And those look like a lot of area of study courses you still have left. You will need them all done and evaluated before signing up for the capstone. So pick the term you want to register for the capstone work backward from there. But you'd have to have everything done a month before the capstone you want to allow TESU time to evaluate everything and also for you register for that capstone.

Remember TESU has a 90 credit limit for one source. If you used study.com a lot for the rest of your degree, you might have to use something else for some of them.

SOS-110 is 8 weeks right? Everything else is 12 weeks at TESU as you said, is that correct?

No SOS-110 is 12 weeks. Charter Oak Cornerstone is 8 weeks. All TESU courses are 12 weeks. I believe OP is exempt from SOS-110 because they did TES-100.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • AwardTour
Thanks everyone for your great responses! I appreciate all the help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness "plan" LevelUP 2 617 07-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 831 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  UMass Global plan expansion! bjcheung77 1 742 07-16-2022, 12:36 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tuition-Free College Movement Gains Momentum, Despite Biden’s Stalled Plan LevelUP 6 1,435 03-06-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UNC’s $97 Million Plan bjcheung77 4 954 12-13-2021, 12:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,034 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88
  Help with AA plan? iwantmydegreeplz 7 1,829 01-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Need Help with a Plan Kibl 8 1,653 11-15-2019, 11:13 PM
Last Post: terryd5150