Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for least expensive online MSW?
sanantone,

You appear to be highly prejudiced. You have no idea what type of sources I read on a regular basis. You came out with guns in order to defend the notion that peace-loving Christians are massively implicated in gay suicides. I've referenced an article that showed this to be dubious notion. No serious refutation was provided other than "something was ommited here." 

I recommend that you only read people that agree with you and your "truly scientific" way of seeing the world. I am sure that humanities-trained scholars are beneath you and Christians are even lower on the scale. I will refuse to engage in a further adult exchange of ideas, as it might cause you distress, possibly even suicide.
(06-21-2021, 05:09 PM)openair Wrote: sanantone,

You appear to be highly prejudiced. You have no idea what type of sources I read on a regular basis. You came out with guns in order to defend the notion that peace-loving Christians are massively implicated in gay suicides. I've referenced an article that showed this to be dubious notion. No serious refutation was provided other than "something was ommited here." 

I recommend that you only read people that agree with you and your "truly scientific" way of seeing the world. I am sure that humanities-trained scholars are beneath you and Christians are even lower on the scale. I will refuse to engage in a further adult exchange of ideas, as it might cause you distress, possibly even suicide.

The article showed nothing, and that is not what I said. The institutions of various religions are responsible for these harmful ideas. The guy flat out lied, and I could tell because I read the article he referenced. In case you do not know, I am an ordained minister, and I have formal training in Biblical studies from a conservative school and a conservative organization. I also have science and social science degrees as well as a counseling background. So, I have been thoroughly exposed to all sides. You seem to be the one who is distressed by having misinformation challenged, which is why you're bowing out. I can go all day debunking stuff and be just fine.

(06-21-2021, 05:09 PM)openair Wrote: sanantone,

Oh, right! You're the one who accused a few schools of being biased against hiring White people, but when you look at the pictures of their faculty, most of the professors and instructors are White. Yeah, I'm not the one who's biased here.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
<sorry for cutting into the chatter> But this is funny as heck! https://www.cbr.com/best-captain-america...day-memes/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
https://www.mun.ca/become/graduate/progr...l_work.php
Tuition (Other Canadian students):
MSW: $826-$1,707/semester

Tuition (International students):
MSW: $1,074-$2,218/semester
(06-22-2021, 05:17 AM)arad Wrote: https://www.mun.ca/become/graduate/progr...l_work.php

Canadian schools are high on my interest list. Low tuition, excellent curriculum, and there's an articulation agreement between CSWE and its  Canadian equivalent  that guarantees acceptance of Canadian degrees as though they were CSWE accredited.

Memorial has been on my radar for quite a while. By all accounts, it is an *excellent* program. And I would not mind a couple of 10 day trips to Newfoundland as required by their program.

BUT... the last I checked, they seem to only take students with a BSW, and require 2 years work in the field as a BSW before they will consider you.

Several of the other Canadian social work programs I checked said they did not accept students who are not living in Canada, because of some problem with the practicum portion of the program.  This seems like an eminently solvable problem... help me understand how someone who lives in Vancouver and attends an online program in Toronto is better off than someone who lives in Buffalo and attends the same Toronto online program... but I'm not sure if there is any flexibility.  Nor am I sure if this restriction applies to all Canadian MSW programs. 

I guess it's just a bunch of emails and calls to get the answer.

(06-21-2021, 03:36 PM)openair Wrote: I currently reside in Europe, but I've once inquired about 100% online degrees in India. At the time (this was around 2019), a two-year Master of Social Work at Assam Don Bosco University had a $6,000 USD approximate total price tag. It could be done in totally online format. However, you could potentially face some issues with recognition in the U.S. You'd have to inquire about the possible treatment of foreign 100% online social work degrees. It may not be an option, if you really need the CSWE accreditation in your state. However, you can check the link here;

https://www.dbuniversity.ac.in/dbuglobal/Online-MSW.php

I believe that there was someone on the sister board (degreeinfo), who completed one of the Assam Don Bosco University business programs (with fully online exams) at an even cheaper rate.

For something closer to home with comparable accreditation standards, you can also check out Canadian programs;

https://online.wlu.ca/master-social-work

This is super helpful.  I found a wonderful looking all-online program at Indira Gandhi University in India, which accepts international students but... alas... not from the US, because they do not have an office here.  I will look into Assam Don Bosco.
(06-23-2021, 12:19 AM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 05:17 AM)arad Wrote: https://www.mun.ca/become/graduate/progr...l_work.php

Canadian schools are high on my interest list. Low tuition, excellent curriculum, and there's an articulation agreement between CSWE and its  Canadian equivalent  that guarantees acceptance of Canadian degrees as though they were CSWE accredited.

Memorial has been on my radar for quite a while. By all accounts, it is an *excellent* program. And I would not mind a couple of 10 day trips to Newfoundland as required by their program.

BUT... the last I checked, they seem to only take students with a BSW, and require 2 years work in the field as a BSW before they will consider you.

Several of the other Canadian social work programs I checked said they did not accept students who are not living in Canada, because of some problem with the practicum portion of the program.  This seems like an eminently solvable problem... help me understand how someone who lives in Vancouver and attends an online program in Toronto is better off than someone who lives in Buffalo and attends the same Toronto online program... but I'm not sure if there is any flexibility.  Nor am I sure if this restriction applies to all Canadian MSW programs. 

I guess it's just a bunch of emails and calls to get the answer.

(06-21-2021, 03:36 PM)openair Wrote: I currently reside in Europe, but I've once inquired about 100% online degrees in India. At the time (this was around 2019), a two-year Master of Social Work at Assam Don Bosco University had a $6,000 USD approximate total price tag. It could be done in totally online format. However, you could potentially face some issues with recognition in the U.S. You'd have to inquire about the possible treatment of foreign 100% online social work degrees. It may not be an option, if you really need the CSWE accreditation in your state. However, you can check the link here;

https://www.dbuniversity.ac.in/dbuglobal/Online-MSW.php

I believe that there was someone on the sister board (degreeinfo), who completed one of the Assam Don Bosco University business programs (with fully online exams) at an even cheaper rate.

For something closer to home with comparable accreditation standards, you can also check out Canadian programs;

https://online.wlu.ca/master-social-work

This is super helpful.  I found a wonderful looking all-online program at Indira Gandhi University in India, which accepts international students but... alas... not from the US, because they do not have an office here.  I will look into Assam Don Bosco.

It's best to give the universities a call. I think I read on WLU that you can take the practicum in your hometown.  The "2 years full time" work experience is an (annoying) obstacle, but 1 or 2 schools mentioned volunteer experience as well.
For that matter you could enroll at UNISA.  It's pretty inexpensive, as these things go.
https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corporate/...ocial-Work

CSWE has their own International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service
https://www.cswe.org/Centers-Initiatives...eview.aspx

The only problem with that is that you have to complete the degree and submit transcripts, etc. before you know the answer.  Perhaps they would talk to you about previous evaluations as a way to guide your choice.
(06-24-2021, 08:53 AM)Alpha Wrote: CSWE has their own International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service
https://www.cswe.org/Centers-Initiatives...eview.aspx

The only problem with that is that you have to complete the degree and submit transcripts, etc. before you know the answer.  Perhaps they would talk to you about previous evaluations as a way to guide your choice.

I did email them.  Got a rather terse, bordering on rude, response that they DID NOT, WILL NOT comment on previous evaluations.

Initially, this struck me as odd... but then I thought about it.  If they admitted that they had previously approved of any school that was not CSWE accredited, then... suddenly some of their leverage to convince schools to go through the expensive CSWE process goes away. The school cannot say "We're not accredited, but CSWE has recognized our degrees in the past if CSWE won't confirm it, and thus, students are taking a risk.

I'm near certain this is a racket/scam to coerce schools into getting CSWE accreditation.  There's no other logical reason why they could not say, for example, "We've had 10 people apply and pay the evaluation fee for UNISA. 4 (or 8, or 10) of the 10 were approved."
I think then the next step would be to search out individuals that have an MSW from a non-US school (whatever one catches your interest e.g. UNISA) and are also licensed by one US state or another.  The licensure implies CSWE acceptance of the degree.  On the other hand, if they're licensed then maybe CSWE doesn't mean much in that state.  In any case, it suggests that the non-US MSW successfully translated into the US.  It could be an interesting google search string.  LinkedIn can help with these things as well.
Google Advanced Search
(06-25-2021, 09:36 AM)Alpha Wrote: I think then the next step would be to search out individuals that have an MSW from a non-US school (whatever one catches your interest e.g. UNISA) and are also licensed by one US state or another.  The licensure implies CSWE acceptance of the degree.  On the other hand, if they're licensed then maybe CSWE doesn't mean much in that state.  In any case, it suggests that the non-US MSW successfully translated into the US.  It could be an interesting google search string.  LinkedIn can help with these things as well.
Google Advanced Search

Smart idea!  I have a friend who has been to several conferences in Canada where he's met social workers educated at UNISA, and they were practicing, and he said they were sharp and clearly knew their field, which is encouraging.  I guess it's really a case of high risk/high reward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 151 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,569 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 334 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 600 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 494 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 648 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 365 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 580 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,715 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,781 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM