Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for least expensive online MSW?
Being soon to be finished with my undergrad, I'm thinking ahead to options for MSW programs. I've got a list of "wants" below. The school can be anywhere, provided it can lead to licensure in CA.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I probably can't get everything I'm after, but  I'd love to have input.

I could potentially start as soon as January, but a September start (or anywhere in between) would be OK as well.

Here are the criteria, in rough order of importance:
  • Fully online program (dealbreaker unless it's something like online except for one or two week-long residencies)
  • Low cost. I'd like to not be in debt up to my eyeballs. The CSU onlines are likely my first choice for this reason.
  • Two-year program rather than three (my undergrad isn't a BSW so no advanced standing)
  • Doesn't require completion of biology as part of undergrad (it seems that only a couple schools actually do.)
  • Doesn't require GRE.
  • Ideally would allow me to choose internship locations
  • Option to start in January or sooner than September
If I found the perfect program that had all of the above, I might consider a pricey school, but not my first preference.

Right now the contenders are
  • CSU-LB or CSU-San Bernadino (seem to be by far the least expensive)
  • Western New Mexico U (mid-priced, but could start as early as January)
  • Ft Hays University - Kansas (clinical focus, very inexpensive)
Thanks in advance for input/suggestions!
Just saw this one from the sister board: https://www.eastern.edu/news/new-online-msw

I haven't really looked into it myself so I don't know if it fits your criteria. CSWE-accredited. $24k if you don't have a BSW.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-19-2021, 06:05 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Just saw this one from the sister board: https://www.eastern.edu/news/new-online-msw

I haven't really looked into it myself so I don't know if it fits your criteria. CSWE-accredited. $24k if you don't have a BSW.

Wow! That could be a contender. 

I have two concerns which are tied together: the school is deeply steeped in Baptist theology, and the MSW program is in pre-candidacy for accreditation by CSWE (meaning, they have applied, but their application has not been reviewed yet.)

The problem is, CSWE has a strong policy on unconditional acceptance of all people, which tends to clash with strong Christian faith, and a couple of religious schools have abandoned their MSW programs rather than agree to CSWE's policies on acceptance.  So with the application not even having been reviewed, it's quite possible the school could end up not agreeing to CSWE criteria and thus not ever getting programmatic accreditation.

That said, I may reach out and have a conversation with them on that issue. I like the flexibility and the focus they have.
[-] The following 2 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • harrypotter, virino
I would definitely recommend looking into Chamberlain. They have a $12,510 grant if your undergrad GPA is 2.5+

https://www.chamberlain.edu/academics/on...ocial-work

I actually applied & enrolled but decided to withdraw after a change of mind with career choice.

Edit: I believe they’re more than halfway through their CSWE candidacy stage & plan to become accredited next year.
BABA, New England College, 2019
(06-19-2021, 12:26 PM)studyingfortests Wrote: The problem is, CSWE has a strong policy on unconditional acceptance of all people, which tends to clash with strong Christian faith, and a couple of religious schools have abandoned their MSW programs rather than agree to CSWE's policies on acceptance. 

That's quite conditional. CSWE rejects faith groups (millions of peeople) in order to "unconditionally accept all people." Interesting approach. I guess it's not "all people" that they are accomodating. Why not just come out and say that openly?
[-] The following 1 user Likes openair's post:
  • virino
(06-19-2021, 02:35 PM)openair Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 12:26 PM)studyingfortests Wrote: The problem is, CSWE has a strong policy on unconditional acceptance of all people, which tends to clash with strong Christian faith, and a couple of religious schools have abandoned their MSW programs rather than agree to CSWE's policies on acceptance. 

That's quite conditional. CSWE rejects faith groups (millions of peeople) in order to "unconditionally accept all people." Interesting approach. I guess it's not "all people" that they are accomodating. Why not just come out and say that openly?
That is not what was said. More the faith based schools when faced with signing the line and commiting to follow CSWE decide they can not and don't.

That said, both political sides of the classic liberal/conservative spectrum have lots that have no tolerance for accomodations to anyone that doesn't agree with them. Thus why we will have war in the near future.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(06-19-2021, 02:47 PM)cerich67 Wrote:

That is not what was said. More the faith based schools when faced with signing the line and commiting to follow CSWE decide they can not and don't.

That said, both political sides of the classic liberal/conservative spectrum have lots that have no tolerance for accomodations to anyone that doesn't agree with them. Thus why we will have war in the near future.
Sure. That's not what was said. That was my point. They don't say that they do not accept universities commited to a certain view of marriage and gender. It would be honest to simply state that openly. Of course, that would have consquences for Christians practising as social workers. Instead, the group chooses to talk about "unconditional acceptance", which it evidently does not practise. It has very specific gender/sex guidelines over which there is no accomodation. So, why obfuscate the matter? I am just saying that this is not honest.
The majority of Americans and American social workers are Christian or follow some other Abrahamic religion. CSWE does not discriminate against Christians. If a conservative Christian has an issue with serving all, then that is that individual or organization's issue and not CSWE's. Social workers are licensed providers and often deliver mental health services. All healthcare providers should be science-based.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • studyingfortests, TINASAM
You said that "CSWE does not discriminate against Christians." Christians are not being thrown to the lions, but orthodox monotheistic faith groups (Christians, Muslims and Jews) have specific views on marriage and gender. To truly accomodate these views, you would need to welcome practising social workers with diverse views on the matter of gender. Obviously, hatred directed at gay clients would not be acceptable under any accomodation agreement, but you could specify the conditions of coexistence. CSWE does not even attempt to do that. Asking faith-based universities to sign statements that are specifically contrary to their religous and philosophical stance amounts to discrimination. You can defend the CSWE stance, but you should understand how the other side views it. Frankly, I don't see how this has anything to do with science.

Actually, not at all. There are *many* faith-centered schools with CSWE-accredited programs that have built acceptance and tolerance into their policies (at least for their MSW programs) in order to attain CSWE accreidtation. CSWE has no dog in the race as far as religion, and there's a pretty large % of social workers who are devout Christians (or other faiths).  The difference is, a social worker (or a school that's CSWE accredited) has simply made a commitment not to discriminate against others.

The interesting thing with the school in question (can't remember it's name, but I think it was in Philly) is that their powers-that-be didn't even want to engage with CSWE to see how they could come to mutually agreeable terms. And nothing had changed in CSWE's policies.  Reading between the lines in the various sources that were reporting about it, I got the distinct sense that somebody at the school got butthurt that the CSWE was inquiring about a potential concern, and took his ball and went home.  A lot of students were left in the lurch as a result. I think that says a lot about that school's commitment to integrity and moral behavior.

(06-19-2021, 02:04 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I would definitely recommend looking into Chamberlain. They have a $12,510 grant if your undergrad GPA is 2.5+

https://www.chamberlain.edu/academics/on...ocial-work

I actually applied & enrolled but decided to withdraw after a change of mind with career choice.

Edit: I believe they’re more than halfway through their CSWE candidacy stage & plan to become accredited next year.

This looks really attractive with the $12K grant!  It's still quite a bit more than some of the CA state schools, but it seems to have a lot of flexibility and I like the tracks they offer. Thanks!
[-] The following 3 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • harrypotter, jch, sanantone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 252 7 hours ago
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 285 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 261 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,240 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 491 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 3,991 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,654 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 414 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  Master's in Online or Digital Marketing resistk 2 321 02-13-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: resistk