Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for least expensive online MSW?
(06-20-2021, 12:52 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 03:57 PM)openair Wrote: You said that "CSWE does not discriminate against Christians." Christians are not being thrown to the lions, but orthodox monotheistic faith groups (Christians, Muslims and Jews) have specific views on marriage and gender. To truly accomodate these views, you would need to welcome practising social workers with diverse views on the matter of gender. Obviously, hatred directed at gay clients would not be acceptable under any accomodation agreement, but you could specify the conditions of coexistence. CSWE does not even attempt to do that. Asking faith-based universities to sign statements that are specifically contrary to their religous and philosophical stance amounts to discrimination. You can defend the CSWE stance, but you should understand how the other side views it. Frankly, I don't see how this has anything to do with science.

There are plenty of religious universities that have CSWE accredited Social Work programs.  Yeshiva University and Boston College are two examples.  When CSWE requires schools to agree to certain policies and practices it is no different than some schools (Liberty, e.g.) requiring students to sign belief statements/agreements prior to enrollment.

Here is a story of a religious school closing its Social Work programs related to accreditation issues
Students accuse Bible college of racism as historic social work program is shuttered (religionnews.com)
There's a new online MSW program at Utica
Utica College unveils new online master of social work degree program | Rome Daily Sentinel (romesentinel.com)
(07-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Alpha Wrote: Here is a story of a religious school closing its Social Work programs related to accreditation issues
Students accuse Bible college of racism as historic social work program is shuttered (religionnews.com)

... and if you read CSWE's take on the situation, they are as baffled as anyone. CSWE has not changed its accreditation requirements in quite a while, but the school had new leadership that apparently was not interested in trying to solve the issue. Apparently absolutely no effort was  made by the school to work with CSWE on whatever the issues were, and they just quite abruptly shut down the program.  Either it wasn't profitable, or the social work students didn't fit the mold of students the school was wanting to attract, or something else.
Slightly off-topic but UPhoenix got initial accreditation on its new BSW program
University of Phoenix Bachelor’s of Science in Social Work Receives Initial Accreditation from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) | Business Wire
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • harrypotter
A new MSW program
https://www.41nbc.com/fvsu-offering-new-...k-program/
thanks these seem pretty good
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
(05-24-2022, 02:50 PM)Alpha Wrote: A new MSW program

Interesting., especially that they have a trauma and SUD track. Not common for an MSW program.

On the downside, it would run about 40 grand for the 60 credit degree based on rough calculation from their website.  And only the bachelor's program is currently accredited. While it is likely they'll get approval for the MSW, it isn't yet guaranteed, so that's a gamble one has to take.  And given the tuition, I would suggest, at least for now, sticking with a fully accredited program for less $, such as Boise Stae or Western New Mexico U.
(05-26-2022, 07:55 PM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 02:50 PM)Alpha Wrote: A new MSW program

Interesting., especially that they have a trauma and SUD track. Not common for an MSW program.

On the downside, it would run about 40 grand for the 60 credit degree based on rough calculation from their website.  And only the bachelor's program is currently accredited. While it is likely they'll get approval for the MSW, it isn't yet guaranteed, so that's a gamble one has to take.  And given the tuition, I would suggest, at least for now, sticking with a fully accredited program for less $, such as Boise Stae or Western New Mexico U.

You're right.  An unaccredited MSW is not worth very much and certainly not 40K.  I don't know how they expect people to enroll in such a deal.  Still, there must be a way to get such programs started as it happens relatively often.  Despite that, I would also recommend a program that is already CSWE accredited
(05-26-2022, 08:38 PM)Alpha Wrote: You're right.  An unaccredited MSW is not worth very much and certainly not 40K.  I don't know how they expect people to enroll in such a deal.  Still, there must be a way to get such programs started as it happens relatively often.  Despite that, I would also recommend a program that is already CSWE accredited

Chamberlain took an interesting approach.  They set the tuition at about $45K, but anyone who attended was (at least as of 8 months ago) being offered a scholarship of about 30% while they were in candidacy for accreditation.  I was told last fall that they expected to achieve full accreditation by March, but as of checking just now, they are still in candidacy... and missing that deadline is exactly why I'd be leery of programs that aren't yet accredited. 

It's my understanding that people who attend while the school is in candidacy will eventually have their degree acknowledged as fully accredited assuming the school reaches full accreditation.  But that isn't a risk I'd be comfortable taking, at least not for 30K.  If it was 5K then maybe. Props to those willing to take that risk, but to me the gamble wouldn't be worth it, especially when there are other programs that are accredited for the same or less money.
Chamberlain accreditation efforts
Chamberlain University’s Master of Social Work Degree Program Granted Initial Accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education’s Commission on Accreditation (yahoo.com)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 174 Yesterday, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,604 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 334 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 601 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 494 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 649 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 365 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 580 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,718 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,782 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM