Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended bachelor's path - any degree
Quote:Hi,
Is EC or TESU easier for BS in liberal studies or BA in liberal studies?  Below are the credits my son has accumulated thus far. 

SOPHIA:
Ancient Greek Philosophers SOPH-0027 CR 3
Approaches to Studying Religions SOPH-0008 CR 3
College Algebra   SOPH 0001 CR3
Conflict Resolution SOPH 0007  CR3
English Composition 1   CR3
Environmental Science SOPH-0016 CR 3
Human Biology  SOPH-0002   CR#
Introduction to Business SOPH-0014 CR 3
Introduction to Ethics SOPH-0020 CR 3
Introduction to Psychology SOPH-0003 CR 3
Macroeconomics SOPH-0012 CR 3
Microeconomics SOPH-0011 CR 3
Public Speaking  CR3
Project Management SOPH-0013 CR 3
US History I SOPH-0022 CR 3
US History II SOPH-0025 CR 3
Visual Communications SOPH-0009 CR 3
Total: 51 credits

DSST Civil War & Reconstruction  CR3

York College:
Intro to Information Technology CIS-123  CR3
English Compositon 2  ENG 123  CR3
American Government - POL 123 CR3
York College Freshman Se. YCS 101 CR3
Physical Science & LAB  PHI-123  CR4

Thank you
Total Credits  69 credits
IMO, TESU is easier due to fewer UL credits being required. But it does cost a bit more than EC. Some of that can be mitigated by doing a 16-credit-term to eliminate the residency waiver.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
It depends. There are pros and cons to both, but my vote is generally for EC at this point in time.

TESU vs. EC
1) TESU is more expensive for a BALS than EC's BAL/BSL (TESU is $2600 more); hard to justify spending more for a generic degree IMO
2) TESU requires 30cr of RA, and you only have 16cr + 6cr of cornerstone & capstone, meaning you'll need 8cr more
3) EC requires 30cr of UL, while TESU only requires 18. EC's capstone gives you 3cr of UL which will help with the BSL (but not the BAL).
4) TESU has more concentrations/certificates
5) EC's Gen Ed is much easier to meet - very few specific requirements (like, no oral communication, no diversity, no civic engagement, no history required). It's much more generic, which makes it easier to deal with.

EC's BAL vs BSL
1) BAL is 90/30 split, like TESU's BALS - 90cr of arts & sciences/liberal arts courses; all of the UL courses for both schools must be in the A&S/LA
2) the BSL is a 60/60 split, so allows MANY more free electives (business, computers, welding, etc.). Also easier to find UL options, as 21cr of UL must be in the A&S, but 9cr of UL can be in the Free electives area, including the cornerstone.

I personally prefer EC's BSL between the 3 options - lowest cost, most flexible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESU BALS needed:
- Diversity (Sociology, World Religions, Cultural Geography, etc)
- 5 UL LA courses (Study.com or Coopersmith are easiest options, as well as TECEP and UExcel exams)
- 2 additional LL LA courses that are 200-level or higher (no more Sophia courses that will work here)
- 20cr of Free Electives
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EC BSL needed:
- 6 UL A&S courses (Study.com or Coopersmith are easiest options, as well as TECEP and UExcel exams)
- 2 UL Free Electives
- 19cr of Free Electives
With the courses you've taken, which cover almost all of the requirements already, it's just a matter of deciding between the 2, and my choice would be on what was cheaper. But that's me.

Both are good options, which is a very nice place to be!

Also, you're not so far into this that you'd lose a single thing by choosing a major!
TESU - Computer Sci, Psych, History, or English
EC - BSB, History, Psych, or BPS
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • , BrendaB, ISKBizz15
Depends, if your son is into the Big 3 and will get RA credits, you can add COSC to that list. If your son is into competency based degrees, I would add WGU/UMPI and other institutions on the list. How young is your son? Does he have any other interests besides "liberal arts". If he's 20+, I suggest UMPI BLS with a concentration or minor of his choice.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  •
(02-22-2022, 11:29 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Depends, if your son is into the Big 3 and will get RA credits, you can add COSC to that list.  If your son is into competency based degrees, I would add WGU/UMPI and other institutions on the list.  How young is your son? Does he have any other interests besides "liberal arts".  If he's 20+, I suggest UMPI BLS with a concentration or minor of his choice.

He is 17 years old.

(02-21-2022, 03:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It depends.  There are pros and cons to both, but my vote is generally for EC at this point in time.

TESU vs. EC
1) TESU is more expensive for a BALS than EC's BAL/BSL (TESU is $2600 more); hard to justify spending more for a generic degree IMO
2) TESU requires 30cr of RA, and you only have 16cr + 6cr of cornerstone & capstone, meaning you'll need 8cr more
3) EC requires 30cr of UL, while TESU only requires 18.  EC's capstone gives you 3cr of UL which will help with the BSL (but not the BAL).
5) EC's Gen Ed is much easier to meet - very few specific requirements (like, no oral communication, no diversity, no civic engagement, no history required).  It's much more generic, which makes it easier to deal with.

EC's BAL vs BSL
1) BAL is 90/30 split, like TESU's BALS - 90cr of arts & sciences/liberal arts courses; all of the UL courses for both schools must be in the A&S/LA
2) the BSL is a 60/60 split, so allows MANY more free electives (business, computers, welding, etc.).  Also easier to find UL options, as 21cr of UL must be in the A&S, but 9cr of UL can be in the Free electives area, including the cornerstone.

I personally prefer EC's BSL between the 3 options - lowest cost, most flexible.
TESU BALS needed:
- 5 UL LA courses (Study.com or Coopersmith are easiest options, as well as TECEP and UExcel exams)
- 2 additional LL LA courses that are 200-level or higher (no more Sophia courses that will work here)
- 20cr of Free Electives
EC BSL needed:
- 6 UL A&S courses (Study.com or Coopersmith are easiest options, as well as TECEP and UExcel exams)
- 2 UL Free Electives
- 19cr of Free Electives
With the courses you've taken, which cover almost all of the requirements already, it's just a matter of deciding between the 2, and my choice would be on what was cheaper.  But that's me.

Also, you're not so far into this that you'd lose a single thing by choosing a major!
This is very helpful.    Could he simply take more Sophia courses to complete the free electives?  if so, this is great!  Thanks again
For Excelsior and TESU, Sophia is a great source of LL electives. Yes.

For Excelsior, according to https://excelsior.sophia.org/, Intro to Relational Databases and Intro to Web Development even come in as UL credit, so they would work as UL free electives. I didn't like Intro to Relational Databases, personally, BUT that's because of how much work it is for a LL class at TESU. If you're getting UL credit for it, that's great!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • BrendaB, ISKBizz15
(02-21-2022, 01:05 PM)rachel83az Wrote: IMO, TESU is easier due to fewer UL credits being required. But it does cost a bit more than EC. Some of that can be mitigated by doing a 16-credit-term to eliminate the residency waiver.

thank you

(02-23-2022, 11:45 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For Excelsior and TESU, Sophia is a great source of LL electives. Yes.

For Excelsior, according to https://excelsior.sophia.org/, Intro to Relational Databases and Intro to Web Development even come in as UL credit, so they would work as UL free electives. I didn't like Intro to Relational Databases, personally, BUT that's because of how much work it is for a LL class at TESU. If you're getting UL credit for it, that's great!

Thank you for this info...very helpful.
(02-23-2022, 11:26 AM)BrendaB Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 11:29 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Depends, if your son is into the Big 3 and will get RA credits, you can add COSC to that list.  If your son is into competency based degrees, I would add WGU/UMPI and other institutions on the list.  How young is your son? Does he have any other interests besides "liberal arts".  If he's 20+, I suggest UMPI BLS with a concentration or minor of his choice.

He is 17 years old.

(02-21-2022, 03:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It depends.  There are pros and cons to both, but my vote is generally for EC at this point in time.

TESU vs. EC
3) EC requires 30cr of UL, while TESU only requires 18.  EC's capstone gives you 3cr of UL which will help with the BSL (but not the BAL).
5) EC's Gen Ed is much easier to meet - very few specific requirements (like, no oral communication, no diversity, no civic engagement, no history required).  It's much more generic, which makes it easier to deal with.

EC's BAL vs BSL
2) the BSL is a 60/60 split, so allows MANY more free electives (business, computers, welding, etc.).  Also easier to find UL options, as 21cr of UL must be in the A&S, but 9cr of UL can be in the Free electives area, including the cornerstone.

TESU BALS needed:
- 20cr of Free Electives
EC BSL needed:
- 2 UL Free Electives
- 19cr of Free Electives
With the courses you've taken, which cover almost all of the requirements already, it's just a matter of deciding between the 2, and my choice would be on what was cheaper.  But that's me.

This is very helpful.    Could he simply take more Sophia courses to complete the free electives?  if so, this is great!  Thanks again

What type of courses are consider UL Arts & Science at EC... Math, Science, History, Social Science, Humanities, English, and Natural Science?
(02-23-2022, 02:27 PM)BrendaB Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 11:26 AM)BrendaB Wrote: [quote pid='358755' dateline='1645475732']

What type of courses are consider UL Arts & Science at EC... Math, Science, History, Social Science, Humanities, English, and Natural Science?
[/quote]

https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/general...uirements/
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 83 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 594 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,167 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,905 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 206 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,155 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 390 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,305 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 931 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM