Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduced fees at Excelsior
OK, I had mentioned this in my other threads, researched it and found it to be promising.

I was searching the job search boards for what certifications are most desirable in the job market. I have just finished the degree requirements at TESC for an Operations Management degree and wanted the best opportunity. I found that the PMP was more desirable right now for higher salary jobs.

However, in looking over the options for PMP training I stumbled across a mention of the IEEE.org in a thread here in the forums. I decided to check it out as someone mentioned the IEEE provided free PMP training on the web. This was the reason I joined. I then did additional research and found that the IEEE has a partnership agreement for its members and Excelsior college for reduced fees and tuition, AND THIS IS A BARGAIN!!!

Here are the results of my research if you join this organization (none of these are for college credit).

1. Free internet training from a company called "Element K" if you join both the IEEE (parent organization) and the Computer Society (child organization).

2. Free certifications from a company called "Brainbench" if you join both the IEEE (parent organization) and the Computer Society (child organization).

3. Training is on many products and subjects including Cisco, Microsoft, PMP, Oracle, COMPTIA and more.

4. Free downloadable software from Microsoft which includes office 2007, vista, XP and many of the commercial suites for programming and networking.

5. Digital Library.

6. Discounts of 10% off fees with many universities.

7. Insane rate reductions at Excelsior as described by this document from the Excelsior web site: https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...hedule.pdf

This cuts the registration fee from $895 down to $130 for all members, and makes huge cuts in other fees if you agree to take some courses from Excelsior.

I would jump on this if you are thinking of going to Excelsior. I wish I had known of this before my signing up with TESC.

Ok, so what is the cost to join the IEEE? Sit down for this one.....$40.00 for both it and the computer society if you are a student, and you get full benefits.

Oh and by the way they have a number of other benefits that are awsome as well.

If anyone can help find some other organizations that make it beneficial to the student that would be awesome.

I hope you all can make use of this. I have been on this board for a bit now, have always wanted to give back because without this board I wouldn't have been able to finish my degree as quick. I haven't heard of this program. If it was already posted, then my bad, and it deserves mentioning again.

Good luck to all.

Frank
Something like this showed up some months back but when I checked it out, the catch is the mandated credits required from EC courses and when I put a pen and paper to my particular plan it would have actually cost me more than doing as many CLEPs, DSSTs, and ECEs as possible to get my anticipated BSLA.

Look at their cost per credit hour, the list of courses available, and see where they fit into your map -- then make a decision.

Judy
I stopped reading after it said Brainbench in here. That has to be the worst untrusted company in the I.T. field known. They started back in the day around 1994 with certs in computers for free. Now i believe they charge and they offer more than just i.t. but they are useless certs.

addision Wrote:OK, I had mentioned this in my other threads, researched it and found it to be promising.

I was searching the job search boards for what certifications are most desirable in the job market. I have just finished the degree requirements at TESC for an Operations Management degree and wanted the best opportunity. I found that the PMP was more desirable right now for higher salary jobs.

However, in looking over the options for PMP training I stumbled across a mention of the IEEE.org in a thread here in the forums. I decided to check it out as someone mentioned the IEEE provided free PMP training on the web. This was the reason I joined. I then did additional research and found that the IEEE has a partnership agreement for its members and Excelsior college for reduced fees and tuition, AND THIS IS A BARGAIN!!!

Here are the results of my research if you join this organization (none of these are for college credit).

1. Free internet training from a company called "Element K" if you join both the IEEE (parent organization) and the Computer Society (child organization).

2. Free certifications from a company called "Brainbench" if you join both the IEEE (parent organization) and the Computer Society (child organization).

3. Training is on many products and subjects including Cisco, Microsoft, PMP, Oracle, COMPTIA and more.

4. Free downloadable software from Microsoft which includes office 2007, vista, XP and many of the commercial suites for programming and networking.

5. Digital Library.

6. Discounts of 10% off fees with many universities.

7. Insane rate reductions at Excelsior as described by this document from the Excelsior web site: https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...hedule.pdf

This cuts the registration fee from $895 down to $130 for all members, and makes huge cuts in other fees if you agree to take some courses from Excelsior.

I would jump on this if you are thinking of going to Excelsior. I wish I had known of this before my signing up with TESC.

Ok, so what is the cost to join the IEEE? Sit down for this one.....$40.00 for both it and the computer society if you are a student, and you get full benefits.

Oh and by the way they have a number of other benefits that are awsome as well.

If anyone can help find some other organizations that make it beneficial to the student that would be awesome.

I hope you all can make use of this. I have been on this board for a bit now, have always wanted to give back because without this board I wouldn't have been able to finish my degree as quick. I haven't heard of this program. If it was already posted, then my bad, and it deserves mentioning again.

Good luck to all.

Frank
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
I find your information very helpful.
True I wouldn't look to reduce the graduation fee by taking courses at EC. However, the reduction in enrollment fee from $800 to $130 is a good deal. You don't have to enroll in any EC courses for the enrollment deal.

I have no idea about the cert organizations, good or bad. But a $700 cost savings is pretty good.

But thanks for the heads up on the Brainbench.
The enrollment fee reverts to the standard
rate
if student does not complete a minimum of
twelve (12) Excelsior College course credits prior to
completion of their degree.
Sandy

TESC, AAS in Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies, 2012
TESC, BA Plain Vanilla Liberal Studies, 2012 Smile
You know It was right there staring me in the face and I didn't see that.

Sorry about that, you're all correct, that makes it not such a good deal.
I'm doing a similar deal via my associate membership in the Peace Officer Assn of Georgia, which is detailed elsewhere on the forum. I have tuition reimbursement -- that's the key to making this a great deal. It looks like IEEE would work just as well, so thank you addison.

Of course, I gave up testing out of two courses (EC wants you to take 4 to get the partnership price, but Business Policy is required from them anyway and Managerial Accounting there's no exam for atm so no problem taking it from EC) and the associated rapid completion. I am OK with it; others may have different needs.

FYI I got membership in Microsoft Academic via enrollment in an EC Business program, so this benefit from IEEE is redundant for a business student, probably a tech student as well.

Phillip
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
Others have mentioned they use the reduction in enrollment fee thru a partnership registration as a way to hold off on paying the full enrollment fee until the end of their studies. Meaning they sign up under a partnership with the intention of not completing the 12 credits and hold of on paying the full enrollment fee until the end when it reverts to the full enrollment fee.

Like MISin08 I also joined POAG to get the partnership fee and used my employers tuition reimbursement for the credits I took, so for me partnership even with the 12 credit requirement is a good deal.
OK, so POAG is another group. Do they offer any other benefits that would be useful?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2018 current fees at the Big 3 dfrecore 70 12,906 09-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Last Post: KawJa
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,822 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,910 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,277 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 956 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,255 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,768 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,214 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,382 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah