Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican Voter Suppression!
Florida Republicans Admit Voter Suppression Was The Goal Of New Election Laws | ThinkProgress

"“I know that the cutting out of the Sunday before Election Day was one of their targets only because that’s a big day when the black churches organize themselves,”
At least some admitted it, still I find the premise so hilarious:

"Um, well, actually yes we were trying to undermine the system and violate the very civil liberties and freedoms we supposedly stand for. This time, particularly, the right of all citizens to vote. Our bad, promise it won't happen again. Really..."
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Usually, I yawn at conspiracy theories. Or eyeroll. I can't help but think that there may be aunited effort by the Republican party to suppress the vote. This year, Virginia was a swing state. Fairfax, VA is the most heavilty-populated jurisdiction in VA. Fairfax has, over the years, become more liberal leaning. There is only one county-wide elected official, the Clerk of Court, who is a Repbulican. Since the Governor is a Republican, his party affiliation determines the electoral board for each jursidction. (Three to the board, two members of a governor's party, the third from the other party.) Recently, one of the members chosen for the electoral board was a gentleman with a long history of trying to tighten the rules regarding voting. The Clerk of Court sent a list of people who should be removed from the voter rolls as they had not appeared for jury duty. It turns out that at least one of the voters had not missed jury duty, and should not have been removed. It would be interesting to know if the Clerks in the more conservative jurisdictions were sending names to be removed from the rolls. It would be interesting to know if the Clerk has been doing this for his whole tenure, or just since VA came in to play for the Democrats. Kinda makes me wonder.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Well, they didn't manage to suppress it nearly enough!

This crap always gets thrown back and forth...remember the militant Black Panthers in 08? This is simply part of politics.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:This crap always gets thrown back and forth...remember the militant Black Panthers in 08? This is simply part of politics.

You mean those two private citizens accused of voter intimidation in at one polling place in which zero complaints were filed?

Yeah that's exactly the same as a coordinated effort by government leaders to suppress voter turn out in multiple state. Exactly the same.
rvadog Wrote:You mean those two private citizens accused of voter intimidation in at one polling place in which zero complaints were filed?

Yeah that's exactly the same as a coordinated effort by government leaders to suppress voter turn out in multiple state. Exactly the same.
My point was that it's nothing new and most certainly not isolated to the republican party (who as I pointed out did a lousy job in that they lost the election). Ever hear of New York's Tammany Hall or Chicago's Mayor Daley?
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I can't tell if you are serious or trolling. Are you trying to tell that because there is political patronage and machines we should let voter suppression laws in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania (among others) slide?
rvadog Wrote:I can't tell if you are serious or trolling. Are you trying to tell that because there is political patronage and machines we should let voter suppression laws in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania (among others) slide?
My initial post was a glib comment that if that if the intent of the republicans was to sway elections their way...it didn't work. Interesting that your news comes from a plainly biased left leaning source. Perhaps you are the troll? 18 posts? Who is rvadog?

The party in power always tries to rig the process to meet their ends, congressional redistricting is one example. Your story only had one verifiable republican source (Greer) and yet attributed no direct quote to him. At this point the story doesn't hold water ... as evidenced by the elections outcome.
AS in EMS August 2010

rvadog Wrote:I can't tell if you are serious or trolling . Are you trying to tell that because there is political patronage and machines we should let voter suppression laws in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania (among others) slide?

Sent you a PM.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I think it's fair to say that the demographics of america have changed a lot. And, unfortunately, the republican party hasn't really appealed to non-white ethnicities. Most would agree the republican party is extremely white. Whenever this topic comes up, representatives always say how they have to "appeal" to them more, and give them stuff. How about giving them respect? There's a certain air in the republican party, that I feel makes non-whites feel unwelcome. Demographics have come to a point where you have to respect these people. I really hope they change their attitudes with this. And no, it's not about adding a token minority to their party, it's much bigger than that.

FYI: the air I'm speaking of is caused by many things...immigration policy, voter suppression, even policing in the state of arizona. People feel threatened to some degree, but mostly disrespected. Oh yeah, let's not forget Romney's incredible way with words, what with his 47% speech, and the recent explanation of his loss. Talk about taking the ship down with you. Hopefully the next election will showcase more moderate republicans.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)