Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requesting Guidance: Excelsior Accounting degree
Wow, what a great resource. I signed up to IC a few weeks ago and I am very impressed with it so far. The forum community is very knowledgeable so I wanted to post my testing strategy and ask a few questions regarding obtaining an accounting degree through excelsior.

I have 80ish credits through b&m schools that I will be transferring. All upper lvl coursework is English though, as that was my major. I want to finish my English degree eventually but would like to complete a degree in accounting first and foremost.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of accounting-related tests via DSST and CLEP. The second thing I noticed was a lack of online classes and ECE tests at Excelsior for upper level accounting requirements.

If anyone has experience with achieving a degree in accounting through Excelsior, I would appreciate some feedback.

My testing plan is as follows:

CLEP
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Principles of Marketing
Principles of Management
Introductory Business Law
Principles of Accounting

DANTES/ECE
Intro Business
Organizational Behavior

Other Excelsior requirements I'd like to know if testing is available for:

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Financial Management
Production and Operations Management
Business Policy
Ethics

Any advice/hints/tips regarding this plan would be very appreciated. If you know how others are obtaining their upper level accounting credit, I'd be thankful for the information.

Thanks for reading,
Josh
A bunch of affordable online classes are available through LSU...plenty in accounting...around $250 per 3 credit class ...a real deal!!!

http://www.is.lsu.edu/courselist.asp?cat...id=102&pg=

If that link doesn't work try this LSU Independent and Distance Learning

Quote:Other Excelsior requirements I'd like to know if testing is available for:

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting one of the two accounting classes are covered under CLEP other course can be taken from Penn Foster for approx $160 (certain Penn Foster courses are ACE approved and therefore accepted by the Big 3)
Financial Management DANTES Principles of Finance or Penn Foster class
Production and Operations Management TECEP test or CSU or LSU course(I passed the TECEP, but would highly recommend the CSU course based on tremendous input provided on this forum)
Business Policy as of 9/2007 you are required to take course through Excelsior
Ethics Excelsior test for upper level credit DANTES for LL credit

Welcome to the club!
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Josh,
From the same LSU website, check this out...
LSU Independent and Distance Learning

Listed under Certificate Programs LSU Certificate in Accounting
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
brikbat Wrote:The first thing I noticed was the lack of accounting-related tests via DSST and CLEP. The second thing I noticed was a lack of online classes and ECE tests at Excelsior for upper level accounting requirements....

Other Excelsior requirements I'd like to know if testing is available for:

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Financial Management
Production and Operations Management
Business Policy
Ethics

If you click on the classes you ask about here in my signature below--you can see how I handled for my Excelsior Business degree. It looks like many of the requirements are similar.

Community college (on-line) worked out well for the Financial and Managerial Acctg. for me because they were five credits each at $20 per credit--so they were cheap and I had ten credits when I was done instead of six. I think the CLEP Principles of Accounting exam is now called Financial Accounting--and I think that will satisfy your Financial Accounting requirement also (unless that is a separate upper-level requirement). Otherwise, the CLEP exam should be the same as a community college Acctg I (or Financial Accounting) exam.

Thomas Edison State College has a TECEP test for Operations Mgmt. but I chose to take a class at CSU-Pueblo because it was cheaper and more certain. Some people here that were able to handle most other tests with no problem had trouble with that one--so the class worked out great and I left extensive feedback which should help you get through it within a month or so. Read the whole thread that you'll access through the hyper-link in my signature.

I think Excelsior is going to make you take their class for Business Policy--at least that's the way it works now for the Business degree--so check that out. Finally, again for the Business degree, both the DSST and ECE Ethics exams can be taken for credit if you can use both.

Looks like you are well on your way to a rock solid plan and a quick finish. Good luck!
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
I take accounting classes (independent study) at LSU online. The classes aren't that difficult but you might want to have an accounting background as you do need to understand the basics in order to begin prepping financial statements. I know TESC has some exams (tax accounting and audit) the exams are expensive if you are not enrolled at the school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,224 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,869 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,356 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,888 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,024 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,336 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,694 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero