Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residency Waiver- 1 year to graduate?
Planning my daughter's final stretch for a BA at TESU. She's already enrolled and has completed a TECEP.
1)  Suppose we pay the residency fee now, before July. I understand she only has 1 year to complete courses before having to pay the fee again. But I'm wondering exactly what she needs to do before next July. Does she have to have all her coursework done AND have formally graduated? I remember when I graduated through them it took a few months after the courses were complete. 

2) Here are the final credits she needs: 
* 1 TECEP registered for July (easy)
* SOS-110 registered for July - 2 months (will be easy for her; she's a good writer)
* 2 sophia courses for 6 random electives- easy, can do in less than a month consecutive with the other courses (July)
* 1 UExcel test needed. She's ready to take it but there are no test centers currently open. I hope they will be before next year..
* Capstone - 3 months. Can't do it consecutively as she's also working and has limited study time.

Barring any unforeseen issues, she can do this easily by the end of 2020. It's the other things (transcripts taking several weeks to arrive, test centers not open, test or course dates not available, graduation prep through the school takes months) that I'm concerned about.
Would you take the chance and pay the RW before the price (potentially) goes up July 1?
I think as long as you apply for graduation and pay the graduation fee within 12 months, you're good to go. Of course, there's always the danger that she won't finish in 12 months and then you have to pay it again. There is a very real potential, IMO, for the UExcel centers to not be open in the next 8-12 months. Do you have a plan B if that were to happen?
(06-17-2020, 01:42 PM)CourtneyBrooke Wrote: Planning my daughter's final stretch for a BA at TESU. She's already enrolled and has completed a TECEP.
1)  Suppose we pay the residency fee now, before July. I understand she only has 1 year to complete courses before having to pay the fee again. But I'm wondering exactly what she needs to do before next July. Does she have to have all her coursework done AND have formally graduated? I remember when I graduated through them it took a few months after the courses were complete. 

2) Here are the final credits she needs: 
* 1 TECEP registered for July (easy)
* SOS-110 registered for July - 2 months (will be easy for her; she's a good writer)
* 2 sophia courses for 6 random electives- easy, can do in less than a month consecutive with the other courses (July)
* 1 UExcel test needed. She's ready to take it but there are no test centers currently open. I hope they will be before next year..
* Capstone - 3 months. Can't do it consecutively as she's also working and has limited study time.

Barring any unforeseen issues, she can do this easily by the end of 2020. It's the other things (transcripts taking several weeks to arrive, test centers not open, test or course dates not available, graduation prep through the school takes months) that I'm concerned about.
Would you take the chance and pay the RW before the price (potentially) goes up July 1?

I don't think it's an absolute "365 days / 1 year" as one may think, at least from what I've gathered when I explored this optn myself.

So let's say the waiver fee is paid right before July 1st 2020 and then the 1-year timer starts.

The terms are that one graduates with a degree before the 1 year cutoff, so that would be a June 2021 graduation...That would mean the latest that one can enroll in the capstone would be February 2021 and the deadline to apply for graduation is April 1st.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, but that's what I've figured out. 

But if I'm right, are there any alternatives for the UExcel just in case testing centers are still closed before April 2021?

HTH!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Honestly, if you're looking at possibly a year out, I would NOT pay the residency waiver now. It's not worth the extra stress, and it's only a few hundred dollars savings.

Instead, just continue on your journey, and save up that extra money over the next few months.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I agree with CarpeDiem8 on the timing.

I just checked and one of the local UExcel centers is OPEN so she can go take the test anytime! That's certainly a good sign.
Still open to your thoughts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CourtneyBrooke's post:
  • alab21
I think I'd pay now if I felt certain I could entirely graduate in 9 months. Then I would try to finish courses faster, as if I were graduating in 6 months, so that if some unexpected thing came up in my life, I could push the date back twice and still graduate in 12 months. Over the course of a year, I would expect more than one "unexpected" thing to come up, but not necessarily big enough things that it forces me to push back the date.

I think it depends on someone's life and obligations more than anything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 27 2,251 04-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BA.CS , how to graduate fast ? eap35 13 1,378 01-19-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,449 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
  TESU BS Physics+Chemistry waiver jch 23 1,654 11-29-2023, 10:30 PM
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,220 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Residency Waiver cost BigJohn1975 2 671 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU residency waiver dbrown2258 22 1,876 09-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Graduate tpell1219 7 753 07-07-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: cerich67
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,168 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
  Pursuing multiple TESU degrees; residency/RA requirements? bruh 8 739 06-11-2023, 03:04 AM