Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residency requirement for 2nd TESU degree
I'm currently enrolled at TESU seeking my second degree from them. My first bachelor's degree from them was awarded in 2004.

At the bottom of my academic evaluation for the second degree, in the space where it talks about the residency requirement, it lists the courses I took 20 years ago from TESU:

2002WI2 COS-116-GS002 C Programming 3 SH
2002WI2 PSY-350-GS002 Abnormal Psychology 3 SH
2003FEB PHI-384-OL009 Ethics & Business Profes 3 SH
Total Completed Semester Hours: 9

I'm somewhat surprised that they're not requiring 16 semester hours of new courses for residency. I can't find anything in the university policies that conflicts with this, though.

So my plan is to take CIS-351 Software Engineering, the business capstone, and then the 1 credit Jane Austen class to get the other 7 semester hours. The wiki lists Software Engineering and Jane Austen as some of the easiest classes at TESU, plus I'll need one more UL class for the CIS AOS anyway.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation from anybody else that has done a second TESU degree and did not run into any thorny issues with the residency requirement. Thank you!
In progress: TESU: BS CIS | Coursera: Google IT Support
Completed: TESU: BSAST Nuclear Engineering Technology (2004)
That's right, you just need 16 credits total for residency purposes regardless of when the credits were taken. If you want something easier/shorter, have you looked at the PLA-100 course? Furthermore, if you're looking at just taking 7 credits, you want to put the main focus on the capstone and put just a portion of your time on the UL CIS AOS course.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • TopHatWombat
Can confirm -- I recently got a second BA from TESU, and my credits from my first BA helped me avoid the waiver fee this second time around.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • TopHatWombat
(04-28-2023, 11:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's right, you just need 16 credits total for residency purposes regardless of when the credits were taken.  If you want something easier/shorter, have you looked at the PLA-100 course?  Furthermore, if you're looking at just taking 7 credits, you want to put the main focus on the capstone and put just a portion of your time on the UL CIS AOS course.

Thank you for the confirmation, I appreciate that.

Since I'm not in any particular rush to complete the degree, I figure I'll take my time with these three courses. I'm just going to do one at a time. I may even intentionally delay one of them until 2024 in order to extend my active enrollment period for another full year. That will give me plenty of time to decide whether or not I want to do a second AOS, bolt on an undergraduate certificate, or just credit bank some more Sophia, SDC, Davar, etc. courses for kicks and grins.

I'll probably do CIS-351 in June, since May will be focused on SDC CIS courses. Then maybe the business capstone in July. And the Jane Austen class just sounds more interesting than PLA-100. I've never read Pride & Prejudice, so it will give me an excuse to add something cultured to my bookshelf.
(04-28-2023, 11:12 PM)TopHatWombat Wrote: I'm currently enrolled at TESU seeking my second degree from them. My first bachelor's degree from them was awarded in 2004.

At the bottom of my academic evaluation for the second degree, in the space where it talks about the residency requirement, it lists the courses I took 20 years ago from TESU:

2002WI2 COS-116-GS002 C Programming 3 SH
2002WI2 PSY-350-GS002 Abnormal Psychology 3 SH
2003FEB PHI-384-OL009 Ethics & Business Profes 3 SH
Total Completed Semester Hours: 9

I'm somewhat surprised that they're not requiring 16 semester hours of new courses for residency. I can't find anything in the university policies that conflicts with this, though.

So my plan is to take CIS-351 Software Engineering, the business capstone, and then the 1 credit Jane Austen class to get the other 7 semester hours. The wiki lists Software Engineering and Jane Austen as some of the easiest classes at TESU, plus I'll need one more UL class for the CIS AOS anyway.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation from anybody else that has done a second TESU degree and did not run into any thorny issues with the residency requirement. Thank you!

I don't know if Jane Austen is easier than PLA-100. I did PLA-100 in under 5 hours total. (that class lasts only one month)  The other problem with Jane Austen is that they only have that class at certain months of the year.

If you do BSBA CIS, then you should get the Associate in CS for free.

The way you're flying through courses, you should be done in no time.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-30-2023, 09:37 AM)LevelUP Wrote: If you do BSBA CIS, then you should get the Associate in CS for free.
When I requested that the Associate in CS be added to my degree plan, my advisor denied the request, based on the fact that I already have a bachelors and they don't like going backwards. I didn't feel like making a big deal about it at the time, so I'll make the request again in the near future, since there's nothing I could find in the academic policies that prohibits doing it.
At this point, I'm heavily considering finishing up the CIS AOS, but not graduating yet. Take a detour to work on a masters elsewhere, and then maybe tack on a second AOS or undergraduate certificates next year. I'm just doing all of this for fun, so there's no urgency to graduating.
haha i had two Bachelors and they still added the ASBA for me. TESU advisors are whack.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • origamishuttle
I have seen people get high-paying programming jobs with only an Associate in CS. 

Technical skills are highly respected, even if you don't plan on doing any technology-related job.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 776 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 293 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 238 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger