Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residency waiver fee payment means no cornerstone (TESU)
This was brought up in a thread about my plan to get a BSBA at tesu (now liberal studies, cause.... easier). With the advice of jsd, so that more people could be aware and maybe share if they have been told the same thing I will copy and paste this wall of text:

On the topic of the residency waiver and not taking the cornerstone. I was speaking with an advisor and figuring out what I needed to do and mentioned the cornerstone course. He said I would not need to take it if I paid the residency waiver prior to graduation. I had not seen anything on the TESU website about this, so I asked him where I could find it. He couldn't find it either. He told me to ask the registar to confirm in writing via email.

I emailed the registar this:

"I was told by an academic advisor that if I intend to pay the residency waiver that I would not need to take the cornerstone course TES-100? I am sending this message to verify this."

My response was:

"(My name), you are correct. If you pay the $2,000 Residency Waiver Fee, the 1 credit TES-100 is not required. Best wishes, Elaine Scheff "

I brought up the issue again when on the phone with an advisor due to the fact I am a little paranoid and if I can't find it on the website I feel a bit insecure on the matter. It was confirmed again. Some time goes on and I decided to switch to liberal studies as it would greatly accelerate my degree completion based on what I have taken. I talk to another advisor, bring up the cornerstone again, he says that I would not need to take it since I will be paying the residency waiver. I send this email to academicadvising@tesu.edu:

"I would like to change my major from BSBA in General Management to Liberal Studies. I would like to keep the BSBA in General Management as a potential degree. Also, I would like to confirm I do not need to take the cornerstone course if I plan to pay the residency waiver."

I get this in response:

"I have changed your degree program to BA Liberal Studies and left the BSBA Gen Man as a potential. Also, as long as you pay the residency waiver fee you will not have to take the cornerstone course unless you want to."

So, I have it in writing from both advising and the registars office that I would not have to take the cornerstone course if I pay the residency waiver fee. However, I am still a bit concerned about it due to the fact at the very latest I would have to schedule it in october if this proved to be false and it not being on the website anywhere I can find. I really would like to meet my goal of a March 2017 conferral and the sooner I wrap up all my work the earlier I can start to benefit from saying I have a completed degree (finally).

If anyone else could confirm that they have heard the same thing, feel free. Again, I find it odd that it is not on the website.
longtermstudent Wrote:However, I am still a bit concerned about it due to the fact at the very latest I would have to schedule it in october if this proved to be false and it not being on the website anywhere I can find.

Let's say you were given false information (which you weren't), you have it in writing that you won't have to take the 1-credit cornerstone as long as you pay the $2,000 Residency waiver--TESU would see that and waive that requirement for you.

So honestly, there's nothing to be concerned about.
This could be another loophole that they're going to close next year lol Smile
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
Ive never heard of the cornerstone course and dont see it listed in my Academic Eval for BA in Soc Sci, Sociology or Psychology....is this only for certain degrees and not others????
GOAL: TESU B.A. PSYCHOLOGY

Have approx. 14 classes left....

ADVICE/PLANS WELCOME!!!
It's part of the general ed requirements. But looks like you won't have to worry about it.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
That's awesome...a savings of $300! Now I need to fill in that missing 1 credit with an elective. Any cheap, easy, 1 credit general ed electives out there? Study.com's 1 credit Public Speaking will transfer in as a duplicate of the Straighterline course, correct? Com-209 for both? Study.com has a Com-300 Intro to Business Communication and Lit-208 English Lit and both could work for the 1 credit elective, I believe. That's not really cheap for most people but won't affect me with the year subscription. Any better ideas?
ndelcollo Wrote:That's awesome...a savings of $300! Now I need to fill in that missing 1 credit with an elective. Any cheap, easy, 1 credit general ed electives out there? Study.com's 1 credit Public Speaking will transfer in as a duplicate of the Straighterline course, correct? Com-209 for both? Study.com has a Com-300 Intro to Business Communication and Lit-208 English Lit and both could work for the 1 credit elective, I believe. That's not really cheap for most people but won't affect me with the year subscription. Any better ideas?

Yes, Public Speaking is a duplicate. The free TEEX 301 course will also come into Gen Ed. There are lots of options. Also, it can't hurt to take a 3cr course, as any overages will be applied to other areas, depending on which course you take. Worst case scenario is Free Electives.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
lovewins Wrote:Ive never heard of the cornerstone course and dont see it listed in my Academic Eval for BA in Soc Sci, Sociology or Psychology....is this only for certain degrees and not others????
It was added this last spring, so if you were enrolled before then it does not apply to you. There was another big change, if you have not already met the 16cr residency (was 24), you can no longer use TECEPs, PLA, or ePacks to do so. Instead they added the $2000 waiver for folks who don't want to take all those courses.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:It was added this last fall, so if you were enrolled before then it does not apply to you. There was another big change, if you have not already met the 16cr residency (was 24), you can no longer use TECEPs, PLA, or ePacks to do so. Instead they added the $2000 waiver for folks who don't want to take all those courses.

So if youre not a Jersey resident, then thats $2000 ON TOP OF the $1497 in tuition?? (Im only taking the 3 credit Capstone at TESU). So basically I have to pay $3500 for this Capstone?? banghead
GOAL: TESU B.A. PSYCHOLOGY

Have approx. 14 classes left....

ADVICE/PLANS WELCOME!!!
lovewins Wrote:So if youre not a Jersey resident, then thats $2000 ON TOP OF the $1497 in tuition?? (Im only taking the 3 credit Capstone at TESU). So basically I have to pay $3500 for this Capstone?? banghead
Were you taking TECEPs to meet the residency? How many have you gotten done? If you got enough of them in, you could avoid the waiver fee.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,103 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,639 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,730 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,342 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,590 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore