Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retest Policy Change for CLEP and DSST for Military
Not sure if this has been the case for others but just received an email from my Educational Service Officer today that starting 20May10 you get one shot for all CLEP and DSST exams. If you fail and wish to take a re-test after the 180 day wait you are required to pay for it out of pocket. ECEs were also mentioned as being affected by the policy change, possibly just how they are funded. I am not sure as I have never taken an ECE before.

Anyway, this may be old news to some of you but was just released to us today.
Well, its not anywhere near as bad as a budget cut could have been. I have read here and there that many millitary men and women have taken these tests in bulk with no study simply because they were free, and just seeing whatever ones they would pass. Maybe those days are over, since it is now advantageous to pass the first time.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

I heard a rumor yesterday while having Lunch with my Education Officers. They couldn't confirm as of yet.
As of the next Fiscal year, all CLEPs / DSSTs / ECEs, for military will only be free for the first exam. If you fail it, you will be charged for the retest 6 months later if you decide to retake it. However, I'm not sure if it is only going to be for the Army or for all services.
I suggest we definitely take the time to study IC and anything else we have in order to get a first time pass.

Does anyone else have info on this?
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:I heard a rumor last night while having Lunch with my Education Officers. They couldn't confirm as of yet.
As of the next Fiscal year, all CLEPs / DSSTs / ECEs, for military will only be free for the first exam. If you fail it, you will be charged for the retest 6 months later if you decide to retake it. However, I'm not sure if it is only going to be for the Army or for all services.
I suggest we definitely take the time to study IC and anything else we have in order to get a first time pass.

Does anyone else have info on this?

Did you miss the thread 02 threads below this one that I started yesterday? It is a new DOD DANTES policy. I got the official email from my ESO yesterday and have sent it to those that have requested it. It will begin on 20MAY.
JBjunior Wrote:Did you miss the thread 02 threads below this one that I started yesterday? It is a new DOD DANTES policy. I got the official email from my ESO yesterday and have sent it to those that have requested it. It will begin on 20MAY.

Yep, I didn't read your thread. I read yours after I posted mine LOL.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I am an Air Force First Sergeant and this is true. Here is the key point to remember...this goes into effect 21 May. If you test before then, you will be able to take a retest for free as long as you do it before mid-December 2010. Since i need 3 more CLEPs/DSSTs for my Bachelor's I went ahead and scheduled a test for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. This way if I do not pass them I can retake them in 6 months and it gives me a free look at the test.

Any test taken after 20 May that you do not pass requires you to pay for the retest. From what they told me it is $120 for CLEP, $80 for DSST and over $200 i think for ECE.

Good luck to all of you!
So any exams I failed before May 20, 2010 I have until 11 Dec 2010 to retest? If that's true, that sux! I just grouped all of exams because of the overlapping! I don't need this pressure right now! I need to bust my... on HR Mgmt right now!
Passed:

DSSTs
Here's to Your Health-LL 3, Lifespan Dev.-LL 3,Principles of Public Speaking-LL 3

CLEPs
College Comp Modular-LL 3 01-Jul-10, Freshman Comp-LL 6, College Math-LL 6, Humanities-LL 6, Information Systems & Computer Applications-LL 3

Human Resource Mgmt A.A. (CCAF):patriot:
General Studies B.S. AMU (Currently working on)banghead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,041 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,878 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,699 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,586 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Change Enrollment Type? ECH90 3 2,035 01-01-2020, 12:58 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,796 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,894 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,944 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,305 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,430 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore