Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review, Feedback & Help Please with a degree plan for UMPI BLS Proj Mgmt minor
Hi Everyone- Apologies if this is a duplicate thread; it did not show as posted...

I'm trying to put together a degree plan for a family friend. He has about 43 units from UC Santa Cruz and has started at UEI (UEI.edu) to become an electrician.

Based on feedback from a previous thread (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Electrical), a BLS with a Project Management minor from UMPI sounds like an excellent option and may also be fast and affordable.  

I've searched degreeforum and the wiki to come up with the attached tentative plan.  I don't know what, if anything, may transfer from his trade school (UEI).  I would be very grateful for any review and feedback you can provide- especially regarding the GEC and # of required UL courses that must be taken at UMPI.

For alternative credits, I only noted Sophia, Instacert, and SDC, but not ModernStates although he did create an account at ModernStates so that could be an option for ACE credits as well.

Thank you in Advance for any feedback!

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU BALS Tentative Plan.v1.pdf (Size: 156.95 KB / Downloads: 28)
You'll need to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. You'll also need to complete at least 24 UL credits outside of the minor with the majority of them completed at UMPI. Don't take Intro to Project Management outside of UMPI. You'll need the project to create your template for the UL PM courses. Is UC Santa Cruz quarter based? I wouldn't assume that they will transfer as 1.33 credits. Many schools don't get partial credit for whatever reason. UMPI's catalog says they accept RA credit and UEI is not RA according to their website.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
I'm only going to talk about what your friend has already taken, since that's the first step in the process. I was able to look at the catalog, to see course numbers, since that's very important to everything. Just an FYI, UCSC (all UC's actually) have a course numbering system of 1-99 is LL< and 100-199 is UL. You want to make sure you have course numbers since UL credit is very important to be aware of.

So, first, there's no way UCSC would let him take WRIT 2: Rhetoric & Inquiry without taking WRIT 1: Intro to Composition - which leads me to believe that he either took it and forgot to put it on your chart, or he took AP English and scored at least a 3. So check with your friend to see if he took that and any other AP courses (or IB I guess).

Next, make sure you count credits correctly - it looks like these are all 5qcr, which equates to 3.33cr for semesters, which will add up quickly to give you some extra credits.

So in looking at what he has already taken at UCSC, or what we have questions on, here's what I show. UMPI experts can chime in if I'm wrong:
1A - should be covered by Writing 1 course/AP Exam?
1B - WRIT 2: Rhetoric & Inquiry 3.33cr
2A - PSYC 1: Introduction to Psychology 3.33cr
2B - ECON 1: Intro to Microeconomics 3.33cr
2B - ECON 2: Intro to Macroeconomics 3.33cr
2E - HAVC 170: Art of the Body in Oceania 3.33cr UL (is an Art Appreciation course, and is UL)
3A - STAT 5: Statistics 3.33cr
3D - EART 7: The History of Life 3.33cr (this is a Physical Science w/o lab)

Electives
COWL 52: Personal Finance & Investing 3.33cr
COWL 65: Meaning, Paradox, and Love 3.33cr
ENVS 80C: Climate Change Science & Policy 3.33cr (this does not look to be a science course)
STAT 80A: Gambling & Gaming 3.33cr
THEA 80C: Monsters 3.33cr

Unknown
Leader Intelligence 3.33cr
Science Fiction 3.33cr
---------------------------------------------------------

Once you report back on the course numbers for the 2 unknown courses, and the AP exam possibilities, that will make it easy to help further.

For AP exams, make sure you put the course name, the date taken, and the score. UMPI uses ACE I think (I know the Big 3 do) so that will be important in figuring out if he'll get credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It looks like your plan has 49 credits for GEC. You only need 40.

Study.com Biology with lab is 4 credits

If you have Stats, you don't need college algebra.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-26-2021, 11:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm only going to talk about what your friend has already taken, since that's the first step in the process.  I was able to look at the catalog, to see course numbers, since that's very important to everything. Just an FYI, UCSC (all UC's actually) have a course numbering system of 1-99 is LL< and 100-199 is UL.  You want to make sure you have course numbers since UL credit is very important to be aware of.

So, first, there's no way UCSC would let him take WRIT 2: Rhetoric & Inquiry without taking WRIT 1: Intro to Composition - which leads me to believe that he either took it and forgot to put it on your chart, or he took AP English and scored at least a 3.  So check with your friend to see if he took that and any other AP courses (or IB I guess).

Next, make sure you count credits correctly - it looks like these are all 5qcr, which equates to 3.33cr for semesters, which will add up quickly to give you some extra credits.

So in looking at what he has already taken at UCSC, or what we have questions on, here's what I show.  UMPI experts can chime in if I'm wrong:
2E - HAVC 170: Art of the Body in Oceania 3.33cr UL (is an Art Appreciation course, and is UL)

Electives
ENVS 80C: Climate Change Science & Policy 3.33cr (this does not look to be a science course)

Unknown
Science Fiction 3.33cr

Once you report back on the course numbers for the 2 unknown courses, and the AP exam possibilities, that will make it easy to help further.

For AP exams, make sure you put the course name, the date taken, and the score.  UMPI uses ACE I think (I know the Big 3 do) so that will be important in figuring out if he'll get credit.

Thank you, dfrecore- here are the UCSC classes he’s taken and passed. I just realized his UCSC STAT80A, Gambling & Gaming, won’t transfer as he did not have a passing grade for that. And I had more than 40 units for the UMPI GEC because I got stuck on that- I don’t believe I have that figured out correctly and I also think there may be 2 sections where one class covers both.

Writing 2 Rhetoric & Inquiry                        5 QTR units = 3.33 Semester Credits        C-            
                CRWN 80F Science Fiction                           5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       A
                COWL 11C Leader Intelligence                     2 QTR Units = 1.33 Semester Credits       B+
                COWL 1 Imagining Justice                           5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       A-
                COWL 65 Meaning, Paradox, and Love          5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       A
                HAVC Art of the Body in Oceania                  5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B-
                THEA 80C Monsters                                    5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       C
                PSYCH 1 Intro to Psychology                       5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       C
                EART 7 History of Life                                 5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B+

ENVS 80C Climate Science & Policy               5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B
                COWL 52 Personal Finance                          5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B+
                Econ 1 Intro Microeconomics                       5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       A+
                ECON 2 Intro to Macroeconomics                 5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B-
                Total: 41.29 Semester Credits

No ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS and no certifications or Military experience
(11-27-2021, 11:16 AM)GotmyBig3Degree! Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 11:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm only going to talk about what your friend has already taken, since that's the first step in the process.  I was able to look at the catalog, to see course numbers, since that's very important to everything. Just an FYI, UCSC (all UC's actually) have a course numbering system of 1-99 is LL< and 100-199 is UL.  You want to make sure you have course numbers since UL credit is very important to be aware of.

So, first, there's no way UCSC would let him take WRIT 2: Rhetoric & Inquiry without taking WRIT 1: Intro to Composition - which leads me to believe that he either took it and forgot to put it on your chart, or he took AP English and scored at least a 3.  So check with your friend to see if he took that and any other AP courses (or IB I guess).

So in looking at what he has already taken at UCSC, or what we have questions on, here's what I show.  UMPI experts can chime in if I'm wrong:

Electives

Unknown
Science Fiction 3.33cr

For AP exams, make sure you put the course name, the date taken, and the score.  UMPI uses ACE I think (I know the Big 3 do) so that will be important in figuring out if he'll get credit.

Thank you, dfrecore- here are the UCSC classes he’s taken and passed. I just realized his UCSC STAT80A, Gambling & Gaming, won’t transfer as he did not have a passing grade for that. And I had more than 40 units for the UMPI GEC because I got stuck on that- I don’t believe I have that figured out correctly and I also think there may be 2 sections where one class covers both.

Writing 2 Rhetoric & Inquiry                        5 QTR units = 3.33 Semester Credits        C-            
                CRWN 80F Science Fiction                           5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       A
                COWL 11C Leader Intelligence                     2 QTR Units = 1.33 Semester Credits       B+
                COWL 1 Imagining Justice                           5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       A-
                COWL 65 Meaning, Paradox, and Love          5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       A
                HAVC Art of the Body in Oceania                  5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B-
                THEA 80C Monsters                                    5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       C
                PSYCH 1 Intro to Psychology                       5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       C
                EART 7 History of Life                                 5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B+

ENVS 80C Climate Science & Policy               5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B
                COWL 52 Personal Finance                          5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B+
                Econ 1 Intro Microeconomics                       5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       A+
                ECON 2 Intro to Macroeconomics                 5 QTR Units = 3.33 Semester Credits       B-
                Total: 41.29 Semester Credits

No ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS and no certifications or Military experience

He also does not have any AP credits.
So, I don't think WRIT 2: Rhetoric & Inquiry will transfer into UMPI because you got a C- (none of the Big 3 will take a C- in that course either). But a UMPI expert will know better than I do.

If you can't bring that in, I show you have 41.29cr completed, and need 79cr.

ICC
American Government
Spanish

Study.com
BIO 101L: Intro to Biology w/Lab
any other course that will transfer as an elective (prob should choose UL)

Sophia
Intro to Sociology
US History I
Intro to Ethics

These^^ should get you everything you need to fulfill the GEC (and of course you'll take Composition I & II and HUM 103: Creative Decision Making at UMPI).

Then another 27cr for Free Electives and you should be good. You'll have some extra credits due to having to take 30cr at UMPI, and a certain number of UL credits, but that's not a terrible problem to have. You might even think about skipping a few courses and saving the credit for UMPI if you want.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu
(11-27-2021, 04:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, I don't think WRIT 2: Rhetoric & Inquiry will transfer into UMPI because you got a C- (none of the Big 3 will take a C- in that course either). But a UMPI expert will know better than I do.

ICC
American Government
Spanish

Study.com

Sophia
Intro to Sociology
US History I
Intro to Ethics

These^^ should get you everything you need to fulfill the GEC (and of course you'll take Composition I & II and HUM 103: Creative Decision Making at UMPI).

Then another 27cr for Free Electives and you should be good.  You'll have some extra credits due to having to take 30cr at UMPI, and a certain number of UL credits, but that's not a terrible problem to have.  You might even think about skipping a few courses and saving the credit for UMPI if you want.

Oh- good to know about the C-. Will he will also need college algebra and statistics to fulfill the Quantitative and Scientific Reasoning, 3A and 3B, GEC requirements?
(11-27-2021, 05:04 PM)GotmyBig3Degree! Wrote:
(11-27-2021, 04:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, I don't think WRIT 2: Rhetoric & Inquiry will transfer into UMPI because you got a C- (none of the Big 3 will take a C- in that course either). But a UMPI expert will know better than I do.

ICC
American Government
Spanish

Study.com

Sophia
Intro to Sociology
US History I
Intro to Ethics

Then another 27cr for Free Electives and you should be good.  You'll have some extra credits due to having to take 30cr at UMPI, and a certain number of UL credits, but that's not a terrible problem to have.  You might even think about skipping a few courses and saving the credit for UMPI if you want.

Oh- good to know about the C-. Will he will also need college algebra and statistics to fulfill the Quantitative and Scientific Reasoning, 3A and 3B, GEC requirements?

For the BLS, you only need 1 math course - and STAT 5: Statistics would work there.  It will fulfill both GEC areas (3A and 3B).  You can only count the credits once, but you can check off both of the requirements.
(11-27-2021, 08:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

ICC
American Government
Spanish

Study.com

Sophia
Intro to Sociology
US History I
Intro to Ethics

For the BLS, you only need 1 math course - and STAT 5: Statistics would work there.  It will fulfill both GEC areas (3A and 3B).  You can only count the credits once, but you can check off both of the requirements.

Thank you so much- I really appreciate all the great advice and will share all this great info with him.

(11-27-2021, 08:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

ICC
American Government
Spanish

Study.com

Sophia
Intro to Sociology
US History I
Intro to Ethics

Thank you so much- I really appreciate all the great advice and will share all this great info with him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 0 11 29 minutes ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 151 3 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 657 4 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 63 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 343 9 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 152 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 10 209 03-27-2024, 07:24 PM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,484 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 181 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM