Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: Grad Cert Econ Educ: U.Colorado Colorado Springs
One of my major objectives during the past year has been to complete a graduate certificate in economic education from the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs and Economic Literacy Colorado.  The program was created for Colorado teachers and requires 12 graduate credit hours from UCCS.  There are two required courses.  I am pretty sure that both of the required classes can be completed online.  That said, there is an in-person Economics for Leaders program that I completed as an alternative last summer.  That program was essentially free for teachers because of a stipend.

Here is the page for the program:

https://econlitco.org/certificate-program/

The program also requires elective courses up to the 12 credit total.  I completed these through courses offered by Economic Literacy Colorado and the Foundation for Teaching Economics.  Both are fantastic organizations with great programs and classes.  Here are the links:

https://econlitco.org/all-programs/

https://www.fte.org/teachers/

Many of the Economic Literacy Colorado programs are one-day programs in Denver, Colorado.  These are cheap, but are in-person.  I attended one taught by an economics professor from the Air Force Academy.  The weeklong FTE program that I attended was taught by an economics professor from Clemson University.  The fantastic part of this is that the credits are transcripted with the ECON prefix by UCCS.  I am currently at 16 graduate credit hours in economics and aim to reach 18 or more by this summer.  It is a great way to gain qualification to teach economics at the community college level.

Just a caveat: The program was created for Colorado teachers and with the intention that credits would be earned through Economic Literacy Colorado.  My path worked because UCCS transcripts for both programs and ELC waived the Colorado certificate requirement for me.  Everybody was really great, but I was a bit of an odd duck.

Here is a picture of my transcript with the credits and certificate:

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/shar...0/SNAPFISH

The online courses were composed of weekly modules with readings, online discussions and an overall pre-test/post-test. There was normally a comprehensive project. These were legitimate classes, but I really enjoyed them and learned a lot.

UCCS charges a bit over $100 per graduate credit hour in this program, but, again, some of the programs are stipended.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Yenisei
Very interesting, eriehiker, especially to those of us with a bachelor's degree in economics! Thanks...
I signed up for this for the June semester. How difficult is the work?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
I wrote two or three pages per week. It was a couple of hours each week, maybe. There is some reading, but I tried not to read if I could help it. You don't need to read too closely. You are smart, you should probably not have too much trouble.

There is also a discussion component. You need to write a response and then respond to two other participants. Most of the time there is a pre and post test, but nothing to go crazy about. There is usually a project, but not too intense. Grading for all of it is lenient.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Yenisei
Nice find!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(05-13-2018, 09:23 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I wrote two or three pages per week. It was a couple of hours each week, maybe. There is some reading, but I tried not to read if I could help it. You don't need to read too closely. You are smart, you should probably not have too much trouble.

There is also a discussion component. You need to write a response and then respond to two other participants. Most of the time there is a pre and post test, but nothing to go crazy about. There is usually a project, but not too intense. Grading for all of it is lenient.

Great thanks. Looking forward to knocking out 2/10 this summer.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,268 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,406 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,061 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 955 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MSc Data Science - University Of Colorado Boulder tuckerarabi786 9 2,031 05-10-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: HVzR5
  Online MSCS from University of Colorado Boulder, No bachelor’s degree needed frankc 13 3,026 04-22-2023, 10:03 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,107 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 553 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  IUBH - Another low cost European Grad option posabsolute 18 5,974 03-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JPN
  UT Austin post graduate cert Data Science and Business Analytics Pats20 4 1,387 01-12-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20