Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revisiting Associate of Arts
Thanks all for the responses. It’s been a while since I started this, so some of the details are foggy. I did read the Pierpont wiki, which helped clear up some things. I’ll try to answer most of the above:

1. I have precious little free time. My work can be intense. I manage a large team and large projects, so I’m often mentally exhausted and spend free time outdoors, traveling, with hobbies, or simply doing nothing. So that’ll explain why I strayed from finishing this. Also, my career did progress very well and, again, I’m currently in an industry where no one cares about a degree. That said, I’d be lying if I said this doesn’t feel like a to do list item that needs striking. I hate leaving things incomplete, it’s the OCD in me!

2. The previous college credits were almost 20 years ago. I don’t remember what I have and would have to look back.

3. I believe my AP English credits fall under Literature. At least, that’s what I seem to recall being the reason for taking Composition. Does AP count for this degree, and what are they categorized as, ACE? Also, yes, I recall doing Comp with Essay.

4. Important addendum to time note, I am a very fast learner and test well. With all my CLEP/DSST tests, I’d usually go through flash cards once and would pass the test. I’d say max I would study is 3-4 hours. So for any additional RA credits needed, I would love to find an option that’s self paced, lacks time constraints, and allows me to test out quickly.

I honestly think the above is why I avoided higher education and taught myself to function in my career. School always bored me and moved too slow. And I was always anti-busywork. 

The UMPI bachelor sounds great too. I like the self paced aspect and a couple of the majors are in my field, so I think I could hopefully blast through it in a few sessions.
Goal: TESC A.A. General Studies, started 12/2011

6 Prior Credits (AP English)

Passed: DSST Intro to Computing, CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, CLEP English Composition, DSST Substance Abuse, CLEP US History 1, DSST Environment & Humanities, DSST Management Information Systems, CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics, ClEP Principles of Microeconomics. CLEP Humanities, ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, DSST Public Speaking, CLEP Introductory Sociology

54/60
The age of the college credits doesn't matter to Pierpont. If you do have college credits, you should be done with the degree.

UMPI's courses are usually ended with a single essay or small project. If you are as fast at writing as you are at exams, UMPI would work. Otherwise, perhaps a BSBA at TESU would be best. TESU accepts Davar credits (flashcards/powerpoint, then exam) for the AOS. If you don't want a BSBA, there can be other options. Which Bachelor's would you be wanting?

You'd need to list out all of your credits and the years they were taken to determine what else you'd need to do to get a degree from either UMPI or TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
You have nothing to lose by sending all transcripts to Pierpont after you apply for the BOG AAS, they'll do an evaluation and you'll know what courses if any are missing. Good luck, have fun! While waiting for an update from them - If you want to take some courses towards a Bachelors, decide on a school and a degree, such as the UMPI BAS or the BLS with a minor concentration...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-14-2022, 07:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The age of the college credits doesn't matter to Pierpont. If you do have college credits, you should be done with the degree.

UMPI's courses are usually ended with a single essay or small project. If you are as fast at writing as you are at exams, UMPI would work. Otherwise, perhaps a BSBA at TESU would be best. TESU accepts Davar credits (flashcards/powerpoint, then exam) for the AOS. If you don't want a BSBA, there can be other options. Which Bachelor's would you be wanting?

You'd need to list out all of your credits and the years they were taken to determine what else you'd need to do to get a degree from either UMPI or TESU.
I may only have 6 credits from local school. Going to find out soon. Wouldn’t that leave 6 RA credits to go?

Passed: DSST Intro to Computing, CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, CLEP English Composition, DSST Substance Abuse, CLEP US History 1, DSST Environment & Humanities, DSST Management Information Systems, CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics, ClEP Principles of Microeconomics. CLEP Humanities, ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, DSST Public Speaking, CLEP Introductory Sociology

54/60
Actually, nope, those 6 credits are currently good enough. As long as they are graded credits and not pass/fail courses, you either have all the requirements set or you might need 1-2 Sophia courses. Definitely apply to Pierpont ASAP and send in all your credits to see where you stand.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(01-15-2022, 07:04 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Actually, nope, those 6 credits are currently good enough. As long as they are graded credits and not pass/fail courses, you either have all the requirements set or you might need 1-2 Sophia courses. Definitely apply to Pierpont ASAP and send in all your credits to see where you stand.
Ok thanks. Will do. Sophia is graded/RA?

Also I was sending everything to TESC before, I assume I should go straight to the source for CLEP/DSST and send again?

54/60
Sophia is NOT graded, nor is it RA, but it will work for Pierpont's purposes as long as you have at least 1 graded credit from an actual college or university. If you have 6 CC credits, you're good to go.

Yes, you will need to send your CLEP/DSST results to Pierpont from the source.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,325 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci trying2grad 10 721 08-20-2023, 12:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 1,969 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Associate diploma size jsd 2 490 01-20-2023, 04:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Second Degree After Liberal Arts Question Johnny_Bravo 8 948 10-03-2022, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Flelm
  APS-295 Associate Capstone Mfluri1990 3 647 09-26-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Advice on these three TESU Liberal Arts Capstone advisors? Jenna.C 21 4,815 01-18-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: bartlebuck
  CS associate degree Alternative gams007 2 800 12-31-2021, 01:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts OR Psychology BA at TESU - capstone related JNKirsch 9 1,191 12-22-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: romoh
  Easy associate degrees at TESU, while obtaining Psych degree. OliviasDad 4 809 11-16-2021, 05:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az