Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ridiculously Easy Associates Degree - Purdue University Global
(11-05-2021, 10:58 AM)learning_spree Wrote: This is no longer possible as they reduced no. of credits for AWS Certified Solutions Architect—Professional to 12. So, the only attraction point of PUG is now gone.
Forum post by another member regarding this https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...last-month

So far the IT degree plan isn't affected, so that is a good option for people wanting to do Purdue.  
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/PU...egree_Plan

You can always get the Cloud certs later on if you need them for your career.

The AWS Certified SysOps cert + AWS Certified DevOps Engineer—Professional combo will get you close to all you need for the cloud degree.

The AWS Certified SysOps is what the WGU students do and is still somewhat entry-level.   The AWS Certified DevOps Engineer—Professional is a pretty advanced cert that may take a long time to do.

I always say get your degree as fast as possible because these schools love to play games and change the rules without notice.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu
(11-05-2021, 09:09 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 10:58 AM)learning_spree Wrote: This is no longer possible as they reduced no. of credits for AWS Certified Solutions Architect—Professional to 12. So, the only attraction point of PUG is now gone.
Forum post by another member regarding this https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...last-month

I always say get your degree as fast as possible because these schools love to play games and change the rules without notice.

Changing degree requirements is not playing games - they are continuously updating degrees at all schools.

But it always makes sense to apply and send in credits once you've made a decision, because it can easily change. So locking in your catalog as quickly as possible is a MUST.  Then, once you get all of your credits onto your eval, you should be good to go.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • MNomadic, ss20ts
(11-06-2021, 05:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Changing degree requirements is not playing games - they are continuously updating degrees at all schools.

But it always makes sense to apply and send in credits once you've made a decision, because it can easily change. So locking in your catalog as quickly as possible is a MUST.  Then, once you get all of your credits onto your eval, you should be good to go.

Some of the changes are due to accreditation. They have to follow those regs which can change.
(11-06-2021, 05:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Changing degree requirements is not playing games - they are continuously updating degrees at all schools.

Yes, I understand changes are made in schools, and accreditors can change requirements, but students pay a steep cost when rules are changed.

When I say "steep" cost, I mean is these rule changes, while they may seem innocent enough, end up costing students 100's hour's worth of work.

If you live in a country where you make $1 or less an hour, or a kid living in your mom's basement, maybe time means nothing to you.  But in the real world, time is worth thousands of dollars.

That's why I believe college is mostly a game and a little about actual education.  It's a game to get your education in the least amount of time, paying the least amount of money.  Colleges love to put in rock blocks to extend your time in college and make you spend more money by constantly adding additional requirements.

There is no set of standards and no set grace period.  One day the rule is to drive on the right side of the road and the next day these people can say now we all have to drive backward on the left side of the road  Big Grin
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-06-2021, 10:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Yes, I understand changes are made in schools, and accreditors can change requirements, but students pay a steep cost when rules are changed.

When I say "steep" cost, I mean is these rule changes, while they may seem innocent enough, end up costing students 100's hour's worth of work.

If you live in a country where you make $1 or less an hour, or a kid living in your mom's basement, maybe time means nothing to you.  But in the real world, time is worth thousands of dollars.

That's why I believe college is mostly a game and a little about actual education.  It's a game to get your education in the least amount of time, paying the least amount of money.  Colleges love to put in rock blocks to extend your time in college and make you spend more money by constantly adding additional requirements.

There is no set of standards and no set grace period.  One day the rule is to drive on the right side of the road and the next day these people can say now we all have to drive backward on the left side of the road  Big Grin

Colleges all have a way to lock in your catalog so that additional requirements are not added once you're enrolled.  The key is that you have to enroll.  At the Big 3 (or Purdue or whatever), people are trying to get credits prior to enrolling and then complain when things change.  The ONLY way to make sure that changes don't affect you are to enroll, and send in your credits.

If you don't do that, then you can't complain that they changed the rules. You set yourself up for it.  Lock in your catalog so they can't change the rules (although they can change how they bring credits in for the future, and they can change prices).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
I agree that enrolling will help keep changes from affecting you.
(11-07-2021, 12:11 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(11-07-2021, 11:25 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Colleges all have a way to lock in your catalog so that additional requirements are not added once you're enrolled.  The key is that you have to enroll.  At the Big 3 (or Purdue or whatever), people are trying to get credits prior to enrolling and then complain when things change.  The ONLY way to make sure that changes don't affect you are to enroll, and send in your credits.

If you don't do that, then you can't complain that they changed the rules. You set yourself up for it.  Lock in your catalog so they can't change the rules (although they can change how they bring credits in for the future, and they can change prices).

That's not true.

There is no way to completely prevent changes from affecting you.  You have been here long enough you should know better.

There is a 100% way to do so - enroll, lock in your catalog, and bring in all of your credits.  Once you lock in your catalog, they cannot make changes to the degree plan (can't add courses, can't change courses), and once you have courses brought in and put on your eval, they can't change those either.  So locking in the catalog is the #1 thing you can do to make sure you don't have surprises in the future.  This is why many colleges have a time limit on how long you can take to get your degree - because they want flexibility on what they can do to a degree in the future, so having people with old catalogs locked in limits them.  It's also why you'll see things like "if you enrolled prior to 8/1/2017, use this chart to determine which GE's you need; if you enrolled after 8/1/17, use this chart."  That enrollment date determines EVERYTHING.

With the Big 3 and Purdue, WGU, etc., bringing in those credits and getting them into an eval makes sure that whatever they decide in the future about your credits, those ones you have are locked in.  Obviously if you bring in an IT cert, and it expires before you finish your degree, then that's an issue (one that you probably could have prevented BTW).  But in general, most credits don't expire, so getting them into your degree plan locks them in, and the school won't go back and take them away if they change how something is brought in IN THE FUTURE.  And example of this: TESU changed the way they brought in credits from CC's at some point; they used to bring some in as UL, then changed it to say that NO CC credit would be brought in as UL.  I had some CC credits that they brought in as UL on my eval, and they did not change MY credits.  It would only have applied to things I brought in later.  It also meant that anyone who hadn't already applied and enrolled in the school wouldn't get those LL credits applied as UL, even if they'd done the exact same courses that I did.

And yes, I've been around longer than you (about 5+ years and 12,000+ posts more than you), so I do have a pretty good idea how this works.
Have any of you guys taken College Composition I & II at Purdue Global? I wonder if it's easier than Sophia...

Seems like an Associate's in IT would be very easy for me - I'd get ~15(?) credits for AWS Cloud Practitioner (already have that cert) and 39 credits for W3S PHP cert (don't have it but would be super easy).
I think they changed the AWS cert so it's no longer worth as much?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-22-2021, 06:58 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I think they changed the AWS cert so it's no longer worth as much?

Yeah, they reduced credits for Solutions Architect. I've got the Cloud Practitioner one:
[Image: qfebp6.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 61 10,159 04-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,441 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 320 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 391 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 1,297 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,221 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 235 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,951 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,616 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 739 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP