Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roadmap for New Excelsior College Students
Wow, thank you for the quick responses. This is a lot of information to sift through and put together, and it doesn't help that I've decided to jump in here right in the middle of EC making some changes to their requirements. However, I'm starting from scratch, which means that I have a good while to go before I enroll in EC and I have many CLEP, DSST's, and such to take before I even get to that bridge.

So on the positive note, if I understand this correctly there are certain exams which I will be taking regardless. These would be CLEP College Math, CLEP College Algebra, CLEP Intro to Educational Psychology, CLEP a Language, DSST Intro to Counseling, and though there are many, many more, this will at least get me started in a productive direction and I can figure the rest out as I go along. (Ready, Fire, Aim.) :-)

And, I agree with you that I should plan my own roadmap. However, though I'm only 23, I've spent my time traveling, serving in the Navy (joined when I was 17 and was a fool not to use their resources; now that I'm out I kick myself every day *sigh*), and gaining life experience by doing all kinds of things, in all kinds of places, thus, its been quite a while since I've had anything to do with our educational system. Consequently, I don't even have a frame of reference for understanding what tests and exams will satisfy their requirements. It's hard to plan when I don't know what will count for what or what the exams are worth.

This is what I think I know; I welcome corrections to any errors:

I have found out that the DSST's are worth 3 credits a piece and that the CLEP's are 3-6 depending on the exam, but the Language ones award credit based on your score, up to 12 credits I've read. ECE's seem to be 3-6 depending on the exam. Don't know much about TECEP, ALEKS, or Ohio U, but I will research them when I am done with this post.

Also, I'm not sure I understand 'depth' requirements. Can someone explain this? And as I've alluded to, I'm in serious need of an education in 'how to create' a degree plan. :-)

Thanks for all your help, btw this forum is great.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have revised my degree plan, and in the interest of seeing if I understand degree planning correctly I have designed a degree plan that ends with and Associate in Science in Liberal Arts from Excelsior. I have attacthed the word doc. to this post. Anyone care to tell me if this works?

I tried to design it with an eye to a BS in LS. I figure if this is good for an AS then all that I'd have to do is add more courses and I'll have a good degree plan for the BS. Thoughts?

Attached Files
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">Associate of Science in Liberal Arts from Excelsior.docx (Size: 15.47 KB / Downloads: 19)
Sorry, I still haven't gotten to look at your plans, but I do have some comments from your posts.

Don't worry about not having a recent educational background. The Big 3 and this forum have their own language to learn:

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...board.html

In transferring from a traditional degree program, I have had to unlearn some of the policies/procedures. One of the things I had a hard time getting used to was the flexibility of this EC degree. When it says Arts & Sciences, you can choose anything from these categories - Humanities, Social Science, History, Natural Science, and Math. When it says Applied Professional that section is like free electives.

Definitely follow the Student Guide to Credit by Exam and here is another good list with examples:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post78211

Since you will not be enrolling soon, be sure to keep checking for new Liberal Arts Catalogs and Student Guides to Credit by Exam, so you are always working with the most recent policies. For instance, with the change in Gen Ed policy next month, we do not know how/if that will affect the overall credit needs.

Depths are 9LL and 3UL credits in a single topic. We tried to add some ideas to this thread:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...lsior.html

Also, here is a link to Ohio U exams and correspondence courses: Correspondence Course List
Note that these are quarter hours, not semester hours. They will transfer as 2/3 credit to EC. 4 quarter hours = 2.66 semester hours

Keep asking questions.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I am currently enrolled in the AAS Tech Studies Comp Tech at Excelsior(should be done by the end of the calendar year), with plans to continue with a BS Business with concentration either in Global Business or MIS.

I believe I should switch my degree program before the changes go into effect so that I have more flexibility. What do you experts think? I would prefer to test out of as much as possible so I think it would make sense.

Thanks,

Colin Sr
Hi Colin!

What changes are happening in the business program?

If it is Gen Ed (see Irnbru's post), it looks like it would add 3 English and 3 Natural Science/Math credits to the basic Business degree. Make sure to ask your advisor if these changes do affect the Business school also.

Does changing programs now mean that you are giving up the chance to get your AAS Tech Studies Comp Tech? (When I graduated with an AS, I had to wait for the official conferral, then re-enroll with a new academic policy date for a BS.) Are you okay with that? I am glad I got my AS. To meet a policy deadline, Irnbru had to hurry up and enroll for the BS instead of getting an AS like he had planned.

Please talk over all of the pros and cons of a possible switch with your advisor.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

NAP,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was originally in the BSLS program a few years ago and flaked out. I was trying to stay motivated and thought it might make more sense to start with a 5K(AAS) before running a marathon(BS). I would prefer not to take additional English classes as I find them pretty boring.

Now that I'm actively pursuing my degree - it really doesn't affect me whether it's an AAS or BS, since I am making a lot of progress so far and will be going for an MBA once I complete my undergrad.

I'll give my advisor a call this week and find out the pros and cons of switching now.

Thanks again!

Colin Sr
Hi Colin,

You're welcome! I can understand your concern about the change to the English credits. I think the ECE exam and StraighterLine course should count. Be sure to ask your advisor about what options will be available for this. (We'd like to know, too.)

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Speaking of Applied Professional Credits (APCs), I'm not sure how I forgot this little nugget, but I am an NAC (Nurse Aide.)

Does that count towards some APCs? If it's necessary, I've worked in the field for 1.5 years. And, I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm told I got my certification in a most unusual way. I guess the most common way (In Washington State) is to take Fundamentals of Nursing in college. I took a 3 week course from a private instructional company, and wham, bam, thank you ma'am, I'm an NAC.

Also just to throw this out there, I have begun to study for two CLEP exams: College Math and A&I Lit. Many thanks to this forum for helping me to get the ball rolling and to know that something like this was even possible. cheersmate I'd never even heard of this until this site. To think that my natural interest in philosophy, or my natural inclination towards reading chemistry and history could have been used all this time towards credit earning. O.O :hurray:
EC accepts a lot of types of training. Be sure to check the ACE Guide (ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training) for the company and course and the list at the end of the Student Guide. If you don't find it, remember to ask an advisor when you enroll about it.

For some reason, I can read your AS degree plan, but not the plan for the BS.

EC only allows 9 credits below the level of Calculus, plus Statistics. If you decide to take ALEKS Stats, consider ALEKS instead of CLEP for the rest of your math credits as cost-savings. If you decide to get credit through ALEKS, consider adding the 3 free NFA credits on your ACE transcript.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

I'm sure this question has been answered, but I haven't found the answer.

I'm ready to start taking some CLEP exams. I've studied, I feel confident, and think I'll have no issues on that front. But my question is this...

Do I need to be enrolled somewhere before I start taking my CLEP exams? Or will potential schools (like EC) typically have no issues taking my CLEP results at a later time. I'd like to build up my CLEP resume (if you will) before I actually enroll somewhere. Thoughts, ideas? Or perhaps point me to the correct thread if there is one.

Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 541 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 1,026 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,763 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,800 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,418 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,379 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,158 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,857 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,320 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,381 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az