Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roadmap for New Excelsior College Students
sonofmud Wrote:I'm sure this question has been answered, but I haven't found the answer.

I'm ready to start taking some CLEP exams. I've studied, I feel confident, and think I'll have no issues on that front. But my question is this...

Do I need to be enrolled somewhere before I start taking my CLEP exams? Or will potential schools (like EC) typically have no issues taking my CLEP results at a later time. I'd like to build up my CLEP resume (if you will) before I actually enroll somewhere. Thoughts, ideas? Or perhaps point me to the correct thread if there is one.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

It is helpful to know from which school you want to graduate, so that you can be sure to follow their CLEP policies and not waste any effort.

Yes, all of the Big 3 will allow students to take all of their CLEP exams first and then transfer the credits after they enroll.

Also, EC says they keep the CLEP scores for 6 months (during the application process, before enrollment), but one of the forum members found out that they keep them much longer. This means it wouldn't hurt to send the school (of your choice) your score for free when you take the exam. If they also keep the score for you long-term, it may save you $20-30 for a new CLEP transcript later. (Or you can choose "Do not send" during the test and plan to pay to get a CLEP transcript when you apply to your college.)

I hope this helps!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Excelsior College is a great school I know cause I have done my research on all 3 of the Big 3 Schools.
But I have a question My friend attends,
Penn Foster College and I wanted to know once he get's his AS degree in Criminal Justice,can he transfer all of the credits into a Excelsior College Bachelor of Criminal Justice Program along with
his 30 CLEP exams and get his Bachelor's Degree or What?
Please let me know.
It would depend on a couple of things, are his credits in all of the areas they need to be, does he have the right total credits without any duplicating, and Excelsior has a Capstone and an Information Literacy (or something like that) requirement. So I would say it is probably not going to be that easy.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Hello, I've been reading around this forum and some other sites, but some of the stuff I have read is dated and conflicts with what I think I am readying in the EC credit by examination student guide. Are they no longer offering letter grades for CLEP exams?
mrbighead Wrote:Hello, I've been reading around this forum and some other sites, but some of the stuff I have read is dated and conflicts with what I think I am readying in the EC credit by examination student guide. Are they no longer offering letter grades for CLEP exams?

not for CLEP- just the two digit DSST exams. A list of exams and corresponding letter grades is posted on their website.
Deleted.. post was in wrong thread. Sorry Wink
Can someone take a look at my plan and let me know if you see any issues -
I'm not sure about - Computers if I should/could take both (CLEP & DSST) 1 as an elective, will the DSST Info Systems cover the requirement for Production/Operations Management, SL or ALEKS or DSST for Statistics (math is not my strong suit), WER will what are my options for the remaining 3 english (business communications), is the business capstone an UL .... thanks for your help!!

p.s. I am currently enroll at Excelsior

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE – BUSINESS
MAJOR/CONCENTRATION IN MANAGEMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ARTS AND SCIENCES – 60 Needed
Written English Requirement (6)
• SL English Comp I - 3
• SL Business Communications - 3
Humanities Requirement (9)
• CLEP Humanities - 6
• CLEP Introductory to Sociology - 3
• *Ethics below
Social Science/History Requirement (15)
• CLEP Microeconomics - 3
CLEP Macroeconomics - 3
CLEP Introductory Psychology - 3
CLEP Biology - 6
Natural Sciences/Mathematics Requirement (9)
• SL Algebra - 3
• ALEKS Introduction to Statistics - 3
• CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 3 (Partial)
Remaining Arts and Sciences Credits (21)
• CLEP Human Growth and Development - 3
• DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 3
• DSST Here’s to your Health - 3
• DSST Substance Abuse - 3
• DSST Personal Finance - 3
• DSST Intro to Law Enforcement -3
• CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature -3 (Partial)
ADDITIONAL CREDIT COMPONENT – (1)
• Information Literacy - 1
CAREER COMPONENT – 45 (21 Upper)
• DSST Principles of Financial Accounting -3 (Financial Accounting)
• SL - Managerial Accounting 3 (Managerial Accounting)
• CLEP Intro to Business Law - 3 (Business Law)
• DSST Intro to Computers OR CLEP Info Systems & Computers - 3 (Computers)
• CLEP Principals of Management - 3 (Principles of Management)
• CLEP Principals of Marketing - 3 (Principles of Marketing)
• DSST Management Information Systems - 3 (Production/Operations Management) 3
• Business Strategy Capstone - 3
• DSST Business Ethics - 3 U (Ethics Requirement)
• DSST Business Law II - 3 U
• DSST Management Information Systems -3 U
DSST Money and Banking - 3 U
ECE Human Resource Management - 3 U
• ECE Labor Relations - 3 U
• ECE Organizational Behavior - 3 U (Organizational Behavior)
ELECTIVES (15)
• DSST Criminal Justice - 3
• DSST Principles of Supervision - 3
• ECE Cultural Diversity -3
• ECE Juvenile Delinquency - 3
• DSST Environment & Humanity - 3
Goal: 0-120 credits in less than 1 year.....began July 2012
Credits to date: 121
Bachelor of Science - Business
ECE

Human Growth & Development :: 54, Psychology :: 66, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit :: 50
Sociology :: 58, Biology :: 64, Principles of Mgmt :: 60, Principles of Marketing :: 65
Intro to Business Law :: 61, Macro 49::, Micro 55
Principles of Supervision: 422, Personal Finance: 455, Intro to Business:: 439, World Religion:: 464,
Here's to your Health:: 449, Substance Abuse:: 446, Intro to Computers:: 454, Technical Writing:: 59,
Mgmt Info Systems:: 454, Intro to Law Enforcement:: 60, Criminal Justice:: 443
Business Ethics and Society:: 422, Fundamentals of Counseling:: 60, Environment & Humanity:: 64
Anthropology:: 55, Astronomy:: 53,
SL: Algebra, Eng I & II, Acct I, Acct II, Stats
ECE: Labor Relations:: A, HR Mgmt:: B, Org Behavior:: B, Capstone 495BUS:: A
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt:: B, Employee Benefits:: B
TESC: TECEP Ops Mgmt
Info Lit.
julia12389 Wrote:Can someone take a look at my plan and let me know if you see any issues -
I'm not sure about - Computers if I should/could take both (CLEP & DSST) 1 as an elective, will the DSST Info Systems cover the requirement for Production/Operations Management, SL or ALEKS or DSST for Statistics (math is not my strong suit), WER will what are my options for the remaining 3 english (business communications), is the business capstone an UL .... thanks for your help!!

p.s. I am currently enroll at Excelsior

This looks like a good start. You do have several items in the wrong categories. Go back through the Student Guide to Credit by Exam and make sure each test is in the correct category. Arts & Sciences is just Humanities, Social Science, History, Math, and Natural Science. It can not include Applied Professional, but the 15 credit Electives section can.

No, a class at CSU Pueblo is usually suggested for Production/Operations Management.

No, do not take both computing exams without permission from your advisor. They were recently changed to duplicate credit for the school of liberal arts; I don't know if the business school counts them differently.

Any of those Stats options could work well for you. You can try ALEKS for free for a couple of days to decide if you like it.

If you need English I and II for this degree, consider the ECE or SL or courses from other sources. If you have a specific communications requirement, SL Business Communications may work for communications, but it is not English II.

This is not updated with all of the ACE approved courses, but it helps:

Transfer College Credit for Online College Courses to Excelsior College - StraighterLine

Yes, the capstone is UL. You'll need to find out if it counts toward the 21 required or is separate.

According to this thread some things have changed since JackBanta posted a degree plan (for a different major), but it may still be helpful for some of your questions:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post111034

Be sure to go through all of this carefully with your advisor. When you get the parts for your major approved, please let us know the details. I'm sure others would like to follow your path.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I made several changes based on your feedback... and reviewing some other plans.
I'm still not clear about the Eng. WER (I've taken SL Eng I, and the amount of writing was brutal so I would like to avoid it if possible). I think the requirement has changed since Banta's plan was posted.
I'm banking on the capstone as one of my U level credits- OR can I count the U level applied professional credits (in electives) towards that requirement?
I found on the 123collegedegree website-although old -used TECEP's Into to Operations Mgmt (exam) for the Production/Operations Management requirement - I will pass that by the advising team for approval and let everyone know.

UPDATED....
ARTS AND SCIENCES – 60 Needed
Written English Requirement (6)
•Straighterline - English Comp I - 3
•Straighterline - Business Communications - 3
Humanities Requirement (9)
•CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 6
•DSST Ethics in America - 3
Social Science/History Requirement (15)
•Straighterline - Microeconomics – 3
Straighterline - Macroeconomics – 3
CLEP Introductory Psychology – 3
•CLEP Human Growth and Development – 3
•CLEP Introductory to Sociology - 3
Natural Sciences/Mathematics Requirement (9)
•Straighterline - Algebra - 3
•Straighterline – Business Statistics – 3
•CLEP Biology – 3 (Partial)
Remaining Arts and Sciences Credits (21)
•CLEP Biology – 3 (Partial)
•DSST Lifespan Development – 3
•TECEP – Marriage and Family - 3
•DSST Criminal Justice - 3
•DSST Fundamentals of Counseling – 3
•DSST Environment and Humanity – 3
•DSST General Anthropology - 3
ADDITIONAL CREDIT COMPONENT – (1)
•Information Literacy - 1
CAREER COMPONENT – 45 (21 Upper)
•Straighterline Accounting I - 3 (Financial Accounting)
•Straighterline - Accounting II - 3
•Straighterline – Managerial Accounting - 3 (Managerial Accounting)
•CLEP Intro to Business - 3 (Business Law)
•DSST Intro to Computers - 3 (Computers)
•CLEP Principals of Management - 3 (Principles of Management)
•CLEP Principals of Marketing - 3 (Principles of Marketing)
•DSST Principles of Supervision - 3
•Business Strategy Capstone – 3 U
•TECEP Intro to Operations Management – 3 U (Production/Operations Management)
•DSST Management Information Systems -3 U
DSST Business Law II - 3 U
ECE Human Resource Management - 3 U
•ECE Labor Relations - 3 U
•ECE Organizational Behavior - 3 U (Organizational Behavior)
ELECTIVES (15)
•DSST Here’s to your Health – 3 U
•DSST Substance Abuse – 3 U
•DSST Personal Finance – 3
•DSST Intro to Law Enforcement -3
•ECE Juvenile Delinquency - 3
Goal: 0-120 credits in less than 1 year.....began July 2012
Credits to date: 121
Bachelor of Science - Business
ECE

Human Growth & Development :: 54, Psychology :: 66, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit :: 50
Sociology :: 58, Biology :: 64, Principles of Mgmt :: 60, Principles of Marketing :: 65
Intro to Business Law :: 61, Macro 49::, Micro 55
Principles of Supervision: 422, Personal Finance: 455, Intro to Business:: 439, World Religion:: 464,
Here's to your Health:: 449, Substance Abuse:: 446, Intro to Computers:: 454, Technical Writing:: 59,
Mgmt Info Systems:: 454, Intro to Law Enforcement:: 60, Criminal Justice:: 443
Business Ethics and Society:: 422, Fundamentals of Counseling:: 60, Environment & Humanity:: 64
Anthropology:: 55, Astronomy:: 53,
SL: Algebra, Eng I & II, Acct I, Acct II, Stats
ECE: Labor Relations:: A, HR Mgmt:: B, Org Behavior:: B, Capstone 495BUS:: A
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt:: B, Employee Benefits:: B
TESC: TECEP Ops Mgmt
Info Lit.
You're welcome!

Check the business catalog. It should give you a list of ways to fulfill WER and info about how the UL for capstone counts. I assume all 21 UL credits have to be within the major, but it should clarify that for you, too.

Overall, it looks better. You might want to consider taking more of the 6 credit general CLEP exams. Since you understand how to create a plan, you can adjust it to your needs as you go along.

Be sure to keep working with your advisor as you progress with your plans.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 544 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 1,029 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,771 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,805 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,422 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,381 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,170 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,872 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,325 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,386 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az