Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roadmap for New Excelsior College Students
yutzyj Wrote:Hi All-
When I began this journey with my husband, we were both lost as to which direction to go and what tests to take first. With that in mind, I wanted to list the tests that I took for my Psychology degree and the order in which I took them, in the hope that this will help to guide new students. ...............

Hello,

I was hoping to find a forum like this for quiet some time. I'm glad that I have found this one. I am 50+ with previous college/university experience. I've used my knowledge to help others (including my son) earn degrees. I should be pretty fresh knowledge wise. My subjects are all pure science (Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry). Lately, I had been seriously thinking about pursuing my Masters (if possible, Ph D) in Physics. I have seen course outlines of CLEP, AP, and GRE. I can handle them. Here are my questions:

1. What would be the best roadmap for me to earn my Bachelor's degree from Excelsior or some other accredited institute?

2. Will the Bachelor's degree be acceptable to Queens College or some other CUNY college?

Also, how did you know what CLEP and other subject tests you should be taking? Did you ask Excelsior?

Appreciate your help very much.

Thank you all
meghnarmajhi Wrote:Hello,

I was hoping to find a forum like this for quiet some time. I'm glad that I have found this one. I am 50+ with previous college/university experience. My subjects are all pure science (Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry). Lately, I had been seriously thinking about pursuing my Masters (if possible, Ph D) in Physics. I have seen course outlines of CLEP, AP, and GRE. I can handle them. Here are my questions:

1. What would be the best roadmap for me to earn my Bachelor's degree from Excelsior or some other accredited institute?

2. Will the Bachelor's degree be acceptable to Queens College or some other CUNY college?

Also, how did you know what CLEP and other subject tests you should be taking? Did you ask Excelsior?

Welcome to the boards! If you don't mind sharing more info (what specific credits do you have so far), you'll receive a lot of great advice from the members here.

Your roadmap will depend on several things:
1) What you've already done,
2) What EC requires for your degree. This one's easy by checking the Liberal Arts catalog online at EC's site. You'll probably need a degree in engineering (not offered), physics, math, or chemistry. For the non-physics options you'll need to cover the physics requirements for entry into your grad program which brings us to
3) What your selected grad school(s) require for admission. Many grad schools also offer conditional admission and allow you to complete prerequisites as you work toward your degree.

If you can give us more info to my questions, then we can better answer your first question.

As far as your second question, your RA degree should be acceptable anywhere as long as you meet the requirements of the place reviewing your record. The big 3 all have an impressive list of grad schools their graduates have attended.

As far as which exams you need, you'll get those answers with the roadmap. A lot of good advice is available online at the school sites, but most of it you'll get from the folks here as well.
craftkc10 Wrote:....................................

1) What you've already done?

Almost nothing. I'm still in the process of figuring out what I need to do. When I found about AP, I'm already a bit too late for registering for this year. I'm planning on taking some CLEP exams as soon as possible. Once again, my strong areas are: Physics, Math, Statistics, and Chemistry. I'm also looking into DSST exams. I'm not thinking about GRE yet..... should I?

- Is there a table showing the number of credits I can earn from each one of the exams?

- What about overlaps? What if I take exams on the same subject from CLEP, AP, DSST, etc?

craftkc10 Wrote:2) What EC requires for your degree. This one's easy by checking the Liberal Arts catalog online at EC's site. You'll probably need a degree in engineering (not offered), physics, math, or chemistry. For the non-physics options you'll need to cover the physics requirements for entry into your grad program which brings us to

Sounds reasonable..... I'll probabably need to take same extra subjects to fullfil the grad school requirements.

Thank you very much for your help. I am truly moved by your achievements how you guys are trying to help each other. I want to be like you too.
Here we go....

I think this is close to what I need to target for at this time:

Thomas Edison State College | BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics Credit Distribution

Now, if someone could tell me how I can earn as many credit as I can - cheapest, fastest.

Sorry asking too many dumb questions.
Welcome to the forum!

Excelsior does offer majors in Physics, Math, and Chemistry.

To see their requirements, you’ll need to set up a free account and get their Liberal Arts Catalog:

https://www.excelsior.edu/pls/portal/doc...ATALOG.PDF

and their Student Guide to Credit by Exam:

https://www.excelsior.edu/pls/portal/doc...atalog.pdf

I think the Chemistry major can be accomplished through the Chemistry GRE + 4 labs. That may also be true of the Physics major which requires 2 labs. I know that the Math GRE satisfies all of the 33 credits required for their math major (depending on the score of course). That is what I am planning to pursue. Here is my degree plan:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...lsior.html

You’ve found a wonderful place for help and support!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Excelsior does offer majors in Physics, Math, and Chemistry.

To see their requirements, you’ll need to set up a free account and get their Liberal Arts Catalog:

Thank you

NAP Wrote:You’ve found a wonderful place for help and support!

Sure I have. I have seen your thread:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...lsior.html

Very encouraging.
=======================================

I think I'll be out of planning stage too. Here is another decision I need help with:

Seems like - if don't mess up, I can earn lots of credits by taking GRE. Question is..... If I take GRE then my credits (if any) from CLEP or other means for the corresponding subject won't apply? Is there a list somewhere on what overlaps with what?
I’m so glad you are interested in GREs, too.

This is strictly a guess, since I haven’t seen anything about these 3 GREs specifically and I have not officially asked at Excelsior, yet.

Physics GRE – I haven’t seen any physics related exams (CLEP/DANTES), so I don’t know of any possible overlap exams for that one.

Chemistry GRE – Other than the Chemistry CLEP, I can’t think of any possible overlap exams.

Math GRE – I am planning for myself that the Calculus CLEP is likely to overlap and I’m less sure about the Statistics DANTES. It may be too low of a level to duplicate the major requirement. I also think I can get 12 more credits in Math lower than Calculus (College Math CLEP, College Algebra CLEP, and PreCalculus CLEP) that will count toward a degree but not a major.

I am also interested in taking the Biochemistry GRE. I am planning to take the Biology CLEP and the Chemistry CLEP even though there is a possibility of overlap. It will give me a chance to build a good foundation of knowledge before I go on to take the GRE.

The requirements for the major would be a starting point (or list) to use as a guide for which courses/exams could overlap with the credits awarded for a GRE.

Sorry, I can’t be more helpful on this one. We really do need to check with Excelsior for more information.

I have not seen a lot about AP exams here. Others on the board know more about which CLEPs and DANTES exams overlap with each other. Surprisingly on some of the topics, you can take both for credit.

I’m very excited for you and this journey you are starting on! Please keep us posted on your progress!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
This is indeed a wonderfully informative primer for those interested Excelsior College. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. It's just what I needed.
Can you fully test out with CLEP/DSST at Excelsior? I am not very good looking around here!
It is fairly easy. Just use the 'search' button at the top.
or

Take a look at the EC catalogue. Everything will be explained to you. It took me a little while to navigate around here but I eventually found everything

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 406 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,585 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,647 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,317 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,076 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,737 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,312 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az