Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rowan University - CLEP, ACE credits?
Hi,
I'm looking at Rowan University - their Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) program for my son.  (It's the only NJ school I've found that seems welcome CLEP etc.).  I know it's a long shot - but does anyone have any current experience on which CLEP, ACE credits etc. credits were accepted (within the ECE program)?  

Also, if my son is in high school still and we are looking down the road 1-2 years....Will a college testing department answer specific questions about what will/won't transfer (ex. asking:  Will DSST test Intro to Religions count toward your global literacy requirement?) - or do I need to be closer to the time of enrolling before they will dedicate that kind of time answering my questions.  

Thanks! Smile
Here is the clep chart: https://sites.rowan.edu/registrar/_docs/...exfUMGhfy9

It appears they accept ACE but you have to get it approved so they might not accept all ACE.
That posted link doesn't work for me, don't know if it's my browser or the link isn't working.
Haha, they have a reference to the Modern States Free Freshman Year CLEP on their page.

Here's a link for their CLEP page https://sites.rowan.edu/student-success/.../clep.html
Anyways, here is their CLEP PDF - https://sites.rowan.edu/registrar/_docs/...-chart.pdf
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you!  I have seen the links for the CLEP page, however none of the Rowan equivalencies listed match specifically to classes in the Engineering program.  So, I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience with what transferred. Engineering programs seem to be more rigid and specific as to what can be taken.  

If my son is in high school still and we are looking down the road 1-2 years....Will a college testing department answer specific questions about what will/won't transfer (ex. asking:  Will DSST test Intro to Religions count toward your global literacy requirement?) - or do I need to be closer to the time of enrolling before they will dedicate that kind of time answering my questions.
I find it pretty funny that Rowan still says they're "Nationally Accredited," despite being fully regionally accredited. Way to undersell yourselves!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(12-22-2019, 03:22 PM)ACI Wrote: Thank you!  I have seen the links for the CLEP page, however none of the Rowan equivalencies listed match specifically to classes in the Engineering program.  So, I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience with what transferred. Engineering programs seem to be more rigid and specific as to what can be taken.  

If my son is in high school still and we are looking down the road 1-2 years....Will a college testing department answer specific questions about what will/won't transfer (ex. asking:  Will DSST test Intro to Religions count toward your global literacy requirement?) - or do I need to be closer to the time of enrolling before they will dedicate that kind of time answering my questions.

Engineering is a difficult degree to test out of. However, wouldn't doing cleps for englishs, social sciences, etc. speed up the degree? If one could clep out of the non math science and engineering courses if might speed up the degree by a year. Depends on the school though.
The only way to know if they'll answer questions is to call and ask - no one here knows what a school will or won't answer unless someone has experience with your particular school. Just call.

Also, you said they don't line up with the ECE program, but I can't find what the degree requires, nor can I find their Gen Ed requirements, so you need to post those to see if CLEP will line up with those (they might with GE, they surely won't for ECE). CLEP is not going to line up with any sort of major because the exams weren't made to do that - they're mostly for Gen Ed courses (a few business classes are the exception).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would think that, outside of computer science, there aren't many - if any - ACE credits that would apply towards an engineering major's area of study.

You may have some luck bringing in ACE credits to apply as Gen Eds and open electives, though.

Best of luck to you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes terryd5150's post:
  • ACI
(12-23-2019, 02:50 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The only way to know if they'll answer questions is to call and ask - no one here knows what a school will or won't answer unless someone has experience with your particular school.  Just call.

Also, you said they don't line up with the ECE program, but I can't find what the degree requires, nor can I find their Gen Ed requirements, so you need to post those to see if CLEP will line up with those (they might with GE, they surely won't for ECE).  CLEP is not going to line up with any sort of major because the exams weren't made to do that - they're mostly for Gen Ed courses (a few business classes are the exception).

Here are the degree requirements.  https://engineering.rowan.edu/programs/e...table.html
The Gen Ed requirements are listed in the degree.  

I know my son can CLEP out of some of the classes....but I just realized that this will be tricky.  Every semester has a required engineering clinic.  My goal is obviously to eliminate semesters... Of course I will be contacting them, but nobody is around for a week...

(12-23-2019, 01:29 AM)natshar Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 03:22 PM)ACI Wrote: Thank you!  I have seen the links for the CLEP page, however none of the Rowan equivalencies listed match specifically to classes in the Engineering program.  So, I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience with what transferred. Engineering programs seem to be more rigid and specific as to what can be taken.  

Engineering is a difficult degree to test out of. However, wouldn't doing cleps for englishs, social sciences, etc. speed up the degree? If one could clep out of the non math science and engineering courses if might speed up the degree by a year. Depends on the school though.
Yeah, it's definitely not possible to test out of it.  Taking a year off would be great.  That's my goal to have him CLEP out of gen eds - there are just very few of them.  I am also going to have him do dual enrollment through our county college for math and sciences also.  This is what they have on their website about transfer credit: 

"While there is no limit to traditional course credits transferred (from an accredited college or university), University policy requires a minimum of 30 credits be completed through Rowan University coursework. Most of the time, this means that up to 90 transfer credits are applied towards the degree/program. Depending upon the individual situation, credits will fulfill general education, major requirements, and/or electives."

So, that's good I think!  I just don't know how this works with engineering.  The Rowan ECE program has a required engineering clinic every semester....my goal is to eliminate semesters... https://engineering.rowan.edu/programs/e...table.html
Yeah, they have such a strict set of courses required, there is no way to CLEP or even CC out of this one.  I would say that you should do DE and use a school with an transfer/articulation agreement with them, so that you get full credit for everything you take.

As for CLEP, you can definitely do Macro or Microecon (for the Business Elective), so I'd do one of those (prob Macro, which I thought was easier).  Looks like a LIT CLEP would also work for the "Rowan Core" but you'll have to do some research on that to make sure you take one that counts.  Humanities CLEP may work.

I would say that there is no way you can get fewer semesters, as you have to take certain classes in order.  BUT, you might be able to make it so that he only needs to be enrolled Part-time to finish his degree (making it easier for him to get better grades as he focuses on fewer courses, it may be cheaper to be on a 9cr/term plan for instance, and he might be able to get a job or internship in his field due to fewer courses being required).

Some schools/degrees are just not CLEP-friendly, or even DE friendly, and there is little you can do.  But I would still say you should try as hard as you can to get even a little bit of credit applied to a degree.

Here is their transfer info, it shows that if you get an AA/AS, it satisfies the GE, etc.  They have a database of transfer equivalencies.  Lots of tools, make sure you make the most of DE if you're in-state. https://sites.rowan.edu/registrar/transf...ncies.html
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,445 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,498 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 315 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,717 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,765 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 742 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,311 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,742 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 400 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar