Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDC Chem 111L/112L
Does anyone know if the Study.com Chem 111L/112L will meet the Chem 1/2 requirements for BS Tech-Studies?

The transfer guide page on SDC shows they both transfer as Che-101 3 credits. That doesn't make sense. Lots of conflicting info on how to meet these CHEM requirements (online) without having to take a full 8 to 16 week CC course.

I have everything else taken care of for Tech Studies except:
Capstone
Project Man
Public Speaking
SOS-110

Just can't figure out how to get the two CHEM courses. Transferring to BA to avoid CHEM appears it would cost me a ton of core credits already accounted for.
(07-13-2020, 07:47 PM)rpmranger Wrote: Does anyone know if the Study.com Chem 111L/112L will meet the Chem 1/2 requirements for BS Tech-Studies?

The transfer guide page on SDC shows they both transfer as Che-101 3 credits. That doesn't make sense. Lots of conflicting info on how to meet these CHEM requirements (online) without having to take a full 8 to 16 week CC course.

I gave up trying to get an alternative credit Chem option that’ll work. So here’s what I think might work for that:

1. Take ASU’s $99 chemistry course that starts 8/18 and chem 2 locally or via NMJC. Verify transfer though! ea.asu.edu I’m told (by a math tutor) not to underestimate the math required for this.

2. If you look at the physics course requirement at TESU, it’s using Conceptual Physics, which is easier than full blown Physics. NMJC offers the courses at $79/cr using the same curriculum, so does our local CC. It’s very common. I *think* those would transfer in, but haven’t verified it yet. I compared syllabi and they look the same.

Both options will require some math skills, but that conceptual physics course often has no pre-requisites listed, it just depends on the school. Some say college algebra.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 2 users Like alab21's post:
  • rachel83az, rpmranger
Thanks. I just looked at the ASU course.. Doesn't really make much sense to put a Calculus based CHEM course as the only option in the (earn your way in program). Obviously the type of students needing to use this program probably don't have a heavy Calculus background. Course looks interesting but I have zero intention of taking Calculus at this stage in life and my other Math credits are over a decade ago so I remember basically nothing from it. Not sure if I would be wasting my time with this one..
(07-13-2020, 07:47 PM)rpmranger Wrote: Does anyone know if the Study.com Chem 111L/112L will meet the Chem 1/2 requirements for BS Tech-Studies?

I have everything else taken care of for Tech Studies except:
Capstone
Project Man
Public Speaking
SOS-110

Just can't figure out how to get the two CHEM courses. Transferring to BA to avoid CHEM appears it would cost me a ton of core credits already accounted for.

Between SL, Saylor, and SDC, all Chem courses transfer's in as CHE-101... IF you did want to chance it, I would definitely to the SDC Chem-111 w/lab- you have a better argument for course substitution credit having the lab.

Your program has the option for Chemistry or Physics.. 

might be worth looking into Physics as you could consider doing :

Saylor Physics 101(=TESU PHY-111) and take TESU/PHY-128 (1 credit lab, phy111)
Saylor Physics 102 (=TESU PHY-112) and take TESU/PHY-129 (1 credit lab, phy112)...

Just some food for thought..

I'm at TESU as well doing the BS-ESET, so I feel your pain- especially when it comes to the math's & sciences but its a necessary evil to git'r done...

SDC's Business-311 will fulfill MAN-435, I think that SOS must be taken with TESU only, but perhaps someone else can confirm...

Either way, good luck man- let us know how it works out!
[-] The following 1 user Likes CableGuy98's post:
  • rpmranger
You need to take SOS-110 from TESU unless you are on a very old catalog. Sophia will take care of Public Speaking (hurry up while it's still free). As mentioned SDC will handle project management.

TESU's physics is fairly low stress. Obviously it's expensive and time consuming compared to the self paced online options. It would be 8 credits toward the residency requirements though.

Many TESU courses are total suck with copious busy work, etc. Physics isn't bad. But if the Saylor trick works and you just have to do the labs that would be cheaper but wouldn't be any faster.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia chem came in as CHE-199 Special Topics in Chemistry Blckbuster 4 678 05-06-2022, 04:24 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Any CHEM 1/LAB options still viable? rpmranger 13 1,737 07-28-2020, 10:13 AM
Last Post: rpmranger
  Need quick UL course & Chem help- BS Tech Studies scout2family 4 967 09-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Last Post: udi
  TESU Bio and Chem Lab Classes JerseyDan 6 1,257 09-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Last Post: JerseyDan