Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDC: does an APA formatted paper need an abstract?
Daughter is taking SDC’s Cognitive Psych. She has to write an 800-1200 word essay on a book that explores theories in cog psych. It is assigned as APA. But since it’s a book report and not a research paper, does it need an abstract? The assignment calls for works cited but doesn’t mention the abstract. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
Mostly the APA style they mention is about the referencing of the sources.
Also, please carefully read the rubrics and follow that.
I think that way she'll be fine either way, with or without abstract.
(10-11-2019, 02:27 PM)originalamyj Wrote: Daughter is taking SDC’s Cognitive Psych. She has to write an 800-1200 word essay on a book that explores theories in cog psych. It is assigned as APA. But since it’s a book report and not a research paper, does it need an abstract? The assignment calls for works cited but doesn’t mention the abstract. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I took several psychology courses from SDC, though not cognitive psych specifically, and I didn't include an abstract because it wasn't listed as a requirement. None of the papers were returned. In fact, as far as I know, none of the papers at SDC require an abstract. If they do, it should be specified in the rubric or instructions somewhere.

When the courses talk about APA format, they are predominately referring to the citation format and references/works cited. They also want the papers to be formatted in academic style (12-point serif font, 1-inch margins, double spacing, etc). I'm not sure that they actually care about the running head, but I always included it to be safe.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Checking with my son- he told me he has never done an abstract either. Word count + references = all good grades so far.
No. APA is my preferred format and unless it asks you for one in the rubric you don't need it
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Paper Policy for SDC?? Dorothy44 12 1,790 12-01-2020, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Upper level LS courses..that don't require a project/paper Sb2013 4 1,226 06-03-2019, 09:57 PM
Last Post: BreeRedRose
  I/O Psychology Research Paper Supermind 3 1,258 11-30-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Study.Com Paper Grading - How harsh? rowan555 2 1,110 12-01-2016, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Synicaal