Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL/Brookhaven AA Partnership
Hi all,

There's an update to the SL/Brookhaven AA Partnership they announced a while ago (where you can use your student loans to pay for the SL course through Brookhaven).

I cannot for the life of me find out how many credits you have to take at Brookhaven to get residency there (in other words no idea on max number of credits you can transfer in).

But it looks like they have specific courses you can take through SL, totaling 33cr.

This looks like a crappy deal to me, but hey, if you're a TX resident it might make sense.

https://brookhaven.straighterline.com/?s...k1AlumStud
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-13-2018, 05:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Hi all,

There's an update to the SL/Brookhaven AA Partnership they announced a while ago (where you can use your student loans to pay for the SL course through Brookhaven).

I cannot for the life of me find out how many credits you have to take at Brookhaven to get residency there (in other words no idea on max number of credits you can transfer in).

But it looks like they have specific courses you can take through SL, totaling 33cr.

This looks like a crappy deal to me, but hey, if you're a TX resident it might make sense.

Funny you mention this....
I'm working through some of this with one of my HS4CC parents. We are trying to figure out how the SL courses will be presented on the transcript, whether they'll be graded, and whether they'll influence her daughter's ability to get into a 4 year college - so far Brookhaven doesn't know the answers to those. BUT I do have residency info for you:
For the business degree:
"To earn your associate degree in business, you will need to earn a total of 60 credits over four semesters. Thirty-three of your credits, up to 12 courses, will be completed through StraighterLine and the balance of courses will be delivered online by Brookhaven College."
https://brookhaven.straighterline.com/ac...-business/

For the CJ degree:
To earn your associate degree in criminal justice, you will need to earn a total of 60 credits over four semesters. You will complete 30 of your credits, up to 12 courses, through StraighterLine, and Brookhaven College will deliver the balance of courses online. Your degree, an Associate of Arts with a Field of Study in Criminal Justice, will be awarded by Brookhaven College, which is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
https://brookhaven.straighterline.com/ac...l-justice/

Now, keep in mind that those links and the info page are on SL's website- so I'd caution students to also confirm all of this with Brookhaven if they're going forward.

The big draw is supposed to be that you can use your financial aid to pay for your SL courses. However, you have to earn half the credits with the college, and unless you're local, that's about $687 per course ($6870 for 30 cr) plus your SL courses. Even if you're exceptional, it's going to take someone about 3 months ($300) and about $600 in SL tuition, bringing this associate degree done THIS WAY at just about $8000 give or take.

If you live in the county, you can do it for about $1700 + another thousand for SL, and come in under $3000, but the majority of people here won't qualify for that tuition rate.
(09-15-2018, 05:46 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

I'm working through some of this with one of my HS4CC parents.  We are trying to figure out how the SL courses will be presented on the transcript, whether they'll be graded, and whether they'll influence her daughter's ability to get into a 4 year college - so far Brookhaven doesn't know the answers to those.  BUT I do have residency info for you:
For the business degree:
"To earn your associate degree in business, you will need to earn a total of 60 credits over four semesters. Thirty-three of your credits, up to 12 courses, will be completed through StraighterLine and the balance of courses will be delivered online by Brookhaven College."

For the CJ degree:
To earn your associate degree in criminal justice, you will need to earn a total of 60 credits over four semesters. You will complete 30 of your credits, up to 12 courses, through StraighterLine, and Brookhaven College will deliver the balance of courses online. Your degree, an Associate of Arts with a Field of Study in Criminal Justice, will be awarded by Brookhaven College, which is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.

Now, keep in mind that those links and the info page are on SL's website- so I'd caution students to also confirm all of this with Brookhaven if they're going forward.  

The big draw is supposed to be that you can use your financial aid to pay for your SL courses.  However, you have to earn half the credits with the college, and unless you're local, that's about $687 per course ($6870 for 30 cr) plus your SL courses.  Even if you're exceptional, it's going to take someone about 3 months ($300) and about $600 in SL tuition, bringing this associate degree done THIS WAY at just about $8000 give or take.  

If you live in the county, you can do it for about $1700 + another thousand for SL, and come in under $3000, but the majority of people here won't qualify for that tuition rate.

I was actually trying to figure out the # of credits you need in residency on Brookhaven's website - I like to get verification from more than just SL.

It was impossible to tell from the SL website if you had to take all of the credits first, or after signing up through Brookhaven and paying that high rate of $687 per course to get them accepted.

Plus, I was trying to see if it might be cheaper to do an end-run around this, and take SL courses first, and more than the 12 courses they show, and then apply at Brookhaven and finish up there.  But it's impossible to figure out how many credits they'll take, or how many you need to take there (especially if you want a different degree).  Brookhaven also says they may take ACE credit, but not how many credits they will take.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-15-2018, 09:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 05:46 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

I'm working through some of this with one of my HS4CC parents.  We are trying to figure out how the SL courses will be presented on the transcript, whether they'll be graded, and whether they'll influence her daughter's ability to get into a 4 year college - so far Brookhaven doesn't know the answers to those.  BUT I do have residency info for you:
For the business degree:

For the CJ degree:

The big draw is supposed to be that you can use your financial aid to pay for your SL courses.  However, you have to earn half the credits with the college, and unless you're local, that's about $687 per course ($6870 for 30 cr) plus your SL courses.  Even if you're exceptional, it's going to take someone about 3 months ($300) and about $600 in SL tuition, bringing this associate degree done THIS WAY at just about $8000 give or take.  

I was actually trying to figure out the # of credits you need in residency on Brookhaven's website - I like to get verification from more than just SL.

It was impossible to tell from the SL website if you had to take all of the credits first, or after signing up through Brookhaven and paying that high rate of $687 per course to get them accepted.

Plus, I was trying to see if it might be cheaper to do an end-run around this, and take SL courses first, and more than the 12 courses they show, and then apply at Brookhaven and finish up there.  But it's impossible to figure out how many credits they'll take, or how many you need to take there (especially if you want a different degree).  Brookhaven also says they may take ACE credit, but not how many credits they will take.

Anything you find out would be helpful- I know SL is advertising this very heavily on FB, so my guess is that the staff at Brookhaven will have to start figuring out how this works.