Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL/SDC Combination
Hey all!!  So, I’m going through TEEX’s CS 201 course and approaching the end of my free courses, so I thought I would ask a little more about SL/SDC on here.  Now, I should let my advisor know where I am taking these courses & which ones before I purchase to ensure they are what I need, correct?  Since there is a 90-credit limit per alternate institution, would it be best to knock out my LL/General Courses at SL for ease, and then SDC for other LL courses + UL?  Which courses would you all suggest are easier at SL/SDC for someone knocking out a Liberal Arts degree at TESU?  Also, I’m limited to two courses per month at SDC, correct?
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
You can potentially earn up to 10 free credits with TEEX if you are interested, so you still have some to go.

There are also paid TEEX courses which could earn you 13 more credits and the cost for those is only $45-$75 each which is a real bargain. I have not taken them, but I've heard from multiple people on this forum, that paid TEEX are easier and less tedious and less boring than the free ones. Many people on this forum people have knocked out the paid courses in just a few hours. Just wanted to tell you that. Here is information on TEEX. https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...sion-teex/ If you did all of the TEEX available plus free credits that would put you at 29 credits which is basically 1/4 of your degree, not bad if you ask me.

I suggested CSM course in an earlier thread of yours. If you do that it will meet the math requirement for a TESU BALS so you wouldn't have to do any more math at all unless you want to.

Study.com is best for Upper Level because StraighterLine does not have any.

I've never done straighterline but I heard that the finals and quizzes are the only things that count. So I'm thinking if there is a subject you already know a lot about then do straighterline. Study.com makes you do a million little quizzes and is just a lot sometimes especially if you already know the subject.

You can two courses from study.com a month included in the price, but you can do a total of 5 per month however, exams 3-5 cost extra. You can do unlimited progress in all the quizzes you want. You just get up to 5 final exams. But the final exams are needed for credit.

Speaking of knowing the subject. If there is a subject you already know a lot about and you have access to a test center consider a CLEP or DSST. You could get credit in 90 minutes or less. Or consider any LL TECEP is only $75 and you could do that from home online.

It is always a good idea to let your advisor know and pre plan. But maybe wait until you have a plan of what you are doing instead of bombarding them with a million emails for each individual course. Honestly, it is a pretty safe bet that a course will transfer if you plan carefully.

For gen eds: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after
And for area of study in liberal studies: anything anywhere on the list should work. Just look for courses that have a similar or same title and you should be good.
Free electives: literally anything that grants college credit

As far as easiest? Everyone has their own ideas, just pick a subject you enjoy and are good and go from there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • CSMlearn
Yes, for exactly that reason, I recommend the StraighterLine/Study.com combo... If you're looking for other providers, here is my top 5 (some are tied). Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid292947
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-21-2019, 07:20 PM) pid=\293178' Wrote:You can potentially earn up to 10 free credits with TEEX if you are interested, so you still have some to go.

There are also paid TEEX courses which could earn you 13 more credits and the cost for those is only $45-$75 each which is a real bargain. I have not taken them, but I've heard from multiple people on this forum, that paid TEEX are easier and less tedious and less boring than the free ones. Many people on this forum people have knocked out the paid courses in just a few hours. Just wanted to tell you that.  Here is information on TEEX. https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...sion-teex/  If you did all of the TEEX available plus free credits that would put you at 29 credits which is basically 1/4 of your degree, not bad if you ask me.

I suggested CSM course in an earlier thread of yours. If you do that it will meet the math requirement for a TESU BALS so you wouldn't have to do any more math at all unless you want to.

Study.com is best for Upper Level because StraighterLine does not have any.

I've never done straighterline but I heard that the finals and quizzes are the only things that count. So I'm thinking if there is a subject you already know a lot about then do straighterline. Study.com makes you do a million little quizzes and is just a lot sometimes especially if you already know the subject.

You can two courses from study.com a month included in the price, but you can do a total of 5 per month however, exams 3-5 cost extra. You can do unlimited progress in all the quizzes you want. You just get up to 5 final exams. But the final exams are needed for credit.

Speaking of knowing the subject. If there is a subject you already know a lot about and you have access to a test center consider a CLEP or DSST. You could get credit in 90 minutes or less. Or consider any LL TECEP is only $75 and you could do that from home online.

It is always a good idea to let your advisor know and pre plan. But maybe wait until you have a plan of what you are doing instead of bombarding them with a million emails for each individual course. Honestly, it is a pretty safe bet that a course will transfer if you plan carefully.

And for area of study in liberal studies: anything anywhere on the list should work. Just look for courses that have a similar or same title and you should be good.

As far as easiest? Everyone has their own ideas, just pick a subject you enjoy and are good and go from there.
I’ll definitely knock out the free TEEX courses, as I’ll take whatever I can get for credits, haha.  

First, what would the paid TEEX courses count as when they transfer over?  Electives?

Secondly, I can take two courses with paid-for exams on SDC, but three more courses if I want, but have to pay once I get to the final exam? 

Third,

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
I'm not sure what the paid TEEX transfer as you'd have to ask someone else. They for sure would count as free electives, probably as ge electives and maybe liberal arts aos. Actually, I think they count as liberal arts aos. I know for sure death investigation counts as aos and is UL, so I'm assuming the others count as LL Liberal Arts but I don't know for sure. (anyone who can confirm?) I've heard really good things about them and multiple people have finished the courses in just a few hours, which isn't usually possible with study or sl. And $45 is cheaper than study.com and sl and probably quicker too. And if you are in to crime scene, forensics, etc. all the better. But with the few credits you have and flexibility of a liberal arts degree they would 100% fit somewhere in your degree plan.

You take as many study.com courses as you want at a time, even a hundred if you wanted. But you need to take the final exam to earn credit. You can't take the final exam until you finished all the quizzes and you can only take 5 exams per month. The first two exams are included in your monthly rate, but the next 3 cost extra, if you try to take a 6th it won't let you and make you wait until the next month. Please note by month I don't mean 1st of each month, but the 30 days of your billing cycle.

Third....
  • BrighterFuture88
(07-21-2019, 11:34 PM)natshar Wrote: I'm not sure what the paid TEEX transfer as you'd have to ask someone else. They for sure would count as free electives, probably as ge electives and maybe liberal arts aos. Actually, I think they count as liberal arts aos. I know for sure death investigation counts as aos and is UL, so I'm assuming the others count as LL Liberal Arts but I don't know for sure. (anyone who can confirm?) I've heard really good things about them and multiple people have finished the courses in just a few hours, which isn't usually possible with study or sl. And $45 is cheaper than study.com and sl and probably quicker too. And if you are in to crime scene, forensics, etc. all the better. But with the few credits you have and flexibility of a liberal arts degree they would 100% fit somewhere in your degree plan.

You take as many study.com courses as you want at a time, even a hundred if you wanted. But you need to take the final exam to earn credit. You can't take the final exam until you finished all the quizzes and you can only take 5 exams per month. The first two exams are included in your monthly rate, but the next 3 cost extra, if you try to take a 6th it won't let you and make you wait until the next month. Please note by month I don't mean 1st of each month, but the 30 days of your billing cycle.

Third....

Perfect.  That helps me out so much!  I can’t thank you enough for all of the information.  I’ll knock out those paid TEEX courses after I finish 201 & 301, then move on to SDC & SL.  My third question was already answered in my head before I had to type it, but the text editor gives me problems on iOS, so I wasn’t able to erase that, haha.

For planning just follow this:

Heres a rundown:

written comm: sdc or sl
oral com: sdc or sl
quantitative lit: csm
info lit: sos 110 at tesu
diversity: sdc or sl
ethics: institutes
civic engage: sdc or sl
hum: sdc or sl
social sci: paid teex(very likely but unconfirmed), sdc or sl
nat world: teex (both free and paid should work here)
ge electives: 1 cr. sophia, teex (if they are not used for other GE or LA aos)
LA LL AOS: sdc or sl, teex
UL LA AOS: teex 3 cr the rest sdc (or try coopersmith tecep or other sources if you hate writing papers)
free electives: 2 cr sophia, teex (if somehow they don't work LA aos or ge) literally anything you want sl, sdc and more
capstone: tesu

Also sub almost any gen ed or ll Lib arts aos for clep/dsst if you wish. Some cleps are worth 6 credits so it can be quicker than sdc/sl if you know the subject and have a test center. If you know a foreign language you can get up to 9 credits.

Until you know how the paid TEEX transfer, which I'd for sure ask when you can. You can start with the english comp, oral comm, humanities, with sdc/sl and csm. That will give you enough to get started.

Also with TESUs recent changes, it is actually cheaper to take 16 credits in a single term then it is to transfer in most of them and take 2 courses. The key to saving money here is you would have to take all 16 credits all at the same time, which is a lot of most people especially if they are working. TECEPs don't count towards this either. Most people haven't done this but I know some newer students on this fourm are at least considering it. Just wanted to let you know that is an option. If you get federal pell grant you have to take at least 6 credits at the same time a TESU to use aid. If you have at least 16 cr you can avoid the wavier fee. So if you get tuition reimbursement through work or pell grant it might be worth considering this option, plus you'd have at least 16 cr in TESU GPA for grad school.
  • BrighterFuture88
(07-22-2019, 08:38 AM)natshar Wrote: For planning just follow this:

Heres a rundown:

UL LA AOS: teex 3 cr the rest sdc (or try coopersmith tecep or other sources if you hate writing papers)
free electives: 2 cr sophia, teex (if somehow they don't work LA aos or ge) literally anything you want sl, sdc and more

Also sub almost any gen ed or ll Lib arts aos for clep/dsst if you wish. Some cleps are worth 6 credits so it can be quicker than sdc/sl if you know the subject and have a test center. If you know a foreign language you can get up to 9 credits.

Until you know how the paid TEEX transfer, which I'd for sure ask when you can. You can start with the english comp, oral comm, humanities, with sdc/sl and csm. That will give you enough to get started.

Also with TESUs recent changes, it is actually cheaper to take 16 credits in a single term then it is to transfer in most of them and take 2 courses. The key to saving money here is you would have to take all 16 credits all at the same time, which is a lot of most people especially if they are working. TECEPs don't count towards this either. Most people haven't done this but I know some newer students on this fourm are at least considering it. Just wanted to let you know that is an option. If you get federal pell grant you have to take at least 6 credits at the same time a TESU to use aid. If you have at least 16 cr you can avoid the wavier fee. So if you get tuition reimbursement through work or pell grant it might be worth considering this option, plus you'd have at least 16 cr in TESU GPA for grad school.

This helps out so much!  Should I ask my Advisor specifically what these paid TEEX courses count towards?

(07-22-2019, 08:52 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote:

Heres a rundown:

This helps out so much!  Should I ask my Advisor specifically what these paid TEEX courses count towards?
I would give the them the specific TEEX course numbers and ask. We already know how death investigation comes in. But I'm assuming of the rest of the forensic come with Aoj prefix you should be good for LA AOS or social sci
(07-22-2019, 09:05 AM)natshar Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 08:52 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote:

Heres a rundown:

I would give the them the specific TEEX course numbers and ask. We already know how death investigation comes in. But I'm assuming of the rest of the forensic come with Aoj prefix you should be good for LA AOS or social sci

I just sent them an email with the specific paid courses to hopefully get an answer as to what they count towards.  When I do receive a reply, I’ll let you know.

[-] The following 1 user Likes BrighterFuture88's post:
  • natshar