Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL Statistics vs Business Statistics
My son needs to take both of these courses - after looking over the texts for them both, the business stats course at SL actually seems like it might be the better one to start with - has anyone taken both courses via SL and can you suggest which one to take first for someone who hates statistics?
rowan555 Wrote:My son needs to take both of these courses - after looking over the texts for them both, the business stats course at SL actually seems like it might be the better one to start with - has anyone taken both courses via SL and can you suggest which one to take first for someone who hates statistics?

Not sure why he needs both, I took the "Business" version of Stats at my Local CC and it wasn't much different then regular statistics. Just makes sure they don't duplicate one another.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:Not sure why he needs both, I took the "Business" version of Stats at my Local CC and it wasn't much different then regular statistics. Just makes sure they don't duplicate one another.

I'm not sure either, but WGU requires it, and the two courses on SL meet the requirements. Seems silly, but if they are almost the same course, he should hopefully have no trouble completing the second one, at least.
Good Luck to Him!! By any chance can you add a signature so we all can see what he has taken. In the event someone has a question about one of them.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:Good Luck to Him!! By any chance can you add a signature so we all can see what he has taken. In the event someone has a question about one of them.

Done! Thanks for the suggestion.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
I never tried SL's business stats, but I did ALEKS Stats and Saylor's Business Stats. The ALEKS course I found pretty easy once I learned the terminology and symbols. The calculator ALEKS provides is great. Saylor on the other hand has been a real trial. I took the practice test cold and got a 60 or so, the next time I took it I got a 68. The third time I got a 75, and so I scheduled the proctored final. 60%. The questions are just very very different and the online calculator they have you use is really crummy. I've been in contact with them about that, and have had some answers that were marked incorrectly fixed, but the question pools are very different between the proctored and unproctored exams.

I'll be taking the proctored exam again this week, I'm up to 90% on the unproctored one so I think I should at least pass the proctored one this time, if nothing else.

I know it may be a bit off topic since it has no relation to the SL exam, but hopefully it helps someone.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 300 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,814 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  Sophia - New Business Ethics Course lumina 14 2,970 10-25-2023, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,386 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Can anyone share their experience with Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU? lorabel 7 1,453 03-17-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  SL Business Statistics - is the final open-book? AW84 5 603 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM
  Sophia’s Arizona Global Campus Course Equivalency: BUS 311 Business Law I basicunitoflife 4 820 12-29-2022, 12:09 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study.com Business 212 business statistics thepoetvd776 1 701 11-24-2022, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information New Sophia courses coming: Python and Business Communication! MNomadic 27 4,565 08-19-2022, 07:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Statistics - options now (quick and easy) allvia 5 1,114 04-29-2022, 05:39 PM