Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL or Sophia of mico/macro economics
Hi everyone! I attempted to take Mico economics at study.com and it was taking to long. I am pretty sure there were over 100 quizzes. I need to finish micro and macro by the end of Aug. I have taken classes at Sl and Sophia and they were both fine. Looking for anyone that has a recommendation on one over the other? Thanks!
I've not taken the SL version of this course, but I found SL's course format to be confusing and not very well put together, IMO. Sophia is more expensive, but it was good for the way I learn. Plus the finals are proctored, but you can use any of the material from the website during the test. Try doing the trial for Sophia and complete the first lessons of the course to decide if you like them. 

It's really a matter of personal preference, but you can't go wrong with Sophia. (In my experience.)

Good luck! 
Kel
(07-16-2018, 12:47 PM)landa1995 Wrote: Hi everyone! I attempted to take Mico economics at study.com and it was taking to long. I am pretty sure there were over 100 quizzes. I need to finish micro and macro by the end of Aug. I have taken classes at Sl and Sophia and they were both fine. Looking for anyone that has a recommendation on one over the other? Thanks!

Keep in mind that any course you take where you don't have prior knowledge in that area is going to take longer since you have more to learn. Most courses will take 40-80 hours to complete.. though some will be more or less. People who get through these courses faster than that are typically people with prior experience.

I took both Macro- and Microeconomics at Study.com and didn't feel like they took exceptionally long, or at least not longer than any other course. I finished each of them in around 2 weeks, but I typically study for 4-8 hours a day on average. The Straighterline versions do have fewer quizzes but are also a different format. They don't feed you only the material you need to know like Study.com does. I find the SL courses take at least as long, and usually longer since there is always so much more to read and you don't know what will be tested and what won't. Also, the SL economics courses are not open book, but the final is only 30% of the course grade so that isn't too terrible if you do well on the quizzes and midterm. I find Sophia too expensive, so I generally don't recommend them unless you can get a course at a deep discount.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Sapientes
I took Microecon at Study.com, and I didn't think it was too bad. Yes, it was long, but I got through it quickly each time I sat down and spent the time. You can definitely get through it before the end of August (actually, before the end of the week would be doable, but definitely before the end of June).

I thought SL was WAY harder, but maybe that's because I like Study.com's format better, I'm not sure. I thought it was taking forever there too.

I took courses from Sophia, Ed4Credit, 3 courses from Study.com, ALEKS, PF - and honestly, I think they all took about the same amount of time. It's just a matter of how much time you put into it. The only things that were fast were the CLEP, DSST and TECEP exams I took.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
2 of my high school sons took/passed macro and micro through Straighterline. I can't remember much except there were a lot of quizzes (not 100, but a lot by SL standards).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,190 11 hours ago
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,861 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 601 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares