Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry
Hello all! I recently found out about the ALEKS program and decided to take the trigonometry course. To qualify for ACE credit, I'm required to take and ACE Knowledge Check. Is that like a normal ALEKS Knowledge Check except proctored? Is it live proctored? How many questions are on it? How much time is given? Will I be able to retake it if I do poorly? Does it review only what you've learned or is it based off of the whole course? I appreciate any information given. Thank you all for your help. Smile
ALEKS doesn't do proctoring, you just do the course/Knowledge Check and then once you get over 70%, you've passed the course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It isn't proctored in the classic sense, but does require using their lockdown browser which keeps you from looking up external resources and such. As far as I know it doesn't record you or anything.

The exam is also timed, but its pretty long, like 2-3 hours. If you don't pass, it's like a regular knowledge check, you just keep studying until you hit 70% or more on the pie chart and it will offer you another ACE knowledge check.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • abs_co
I was actually wondering about this too, as I'm also working my way through that trig via Aleks, and need the Ace credit option.
-----
Testing through BA In Mathematics via TESU - Graduation planned in 2020
Attending ECPI Online for Mechanical Engineering Technology - Bachelors - Graduation planned in 2020
So I took this last night with the Trig class (and passed), and it's pretty much exactly how Merlin described. You have 3 hours, and I was able to finish in about an hour and a half. I hit "I don't know" on I think 3, there were somewhere between 35 and 40 questions (I stopped paying attention to the number) and the lockdown browser works pretty ok. There's no camera, recording, or true proctoring. The only issue I had is that my Nvidia container wouldn't stay closed and the lockdown browser insisted on it being closed. It eventually did close completely, the browser took over and all was good. I did have to reboot my computer afterward, though, because for some reason after the test I wound up with the start menu having a "no power options here" message across it. Had to use the power/restart option from the ctl-alt-del menu.

I wish I could do Aleks for all of the classes I need, I like the way they do things!
-----
Attending ECPI Online for Mechanical Engineering Technology - Bachelors - Graduation planned in 2020
[-] The following 4 users Like dharmastudios's post:
  • abs_co, akr680, hsfamfun, PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
so you can do Aleks courses as open book as long as you are using 2 computers?
(11-24-2019, 10:16 PM)mikepro Wrote: so you can do Aleks courses as open book as long as you are using 2 computers?

That would be a violation of their academic integrity rules. But that is one way to get around the lockdown browser if you were so inclined.

Of course, people doing such things could reduce the chance that ALEKS renews their ACE courses and/or opens the door for forced proctoring in the future.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • jsd, mikepro
(11-25-2019, 05:00 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 10:16 PM)mikepro Wrote: so you can do Aleks courses as open book as long as you are using 2 computers?

That would be a violation of their academic integrity rules. But that is one way to get around the lockdown browser if you were so inclined.

Of course, people doing such things could reduce the chance that ALEKS renews their ACE courses and/or opens the door for forced proctoring in the future.

This exactly. The point of it is to KNOW the material, not get credit for something you don't know. The way Aleks does their teaching, if you can get through the course, you should be able to get through the test. They're quite thorough. 

They do say to have pencil and paper handy, and they provide a calculator when needed.
-----

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider LevelUP 13 6,461 01-21-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Anyone with experience/knowledge on army medic to civilian LVN pathway? studyingfortests 4 381 12-16-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching Theoretical Knowledge Verses Practical Skills In College LevelUP 2 1,364 02-19-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Application Requirements Inquiry bjcheung77 5 1,051 09-01-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  PSA: Send transcripts early and check their receipt status promptly Ideas 2 1,021 08-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,363 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ALEKS and CSMlearn Kjblue 3 1,369 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Anyone frustrated with ALEKS? MeOldChina 8 2,459 05-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  How to register for ALEKS akr680 2 1,139 04-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Aleks courses Supermind 14 3,555 04-01-2019, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Supermind