Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SOPHIA Learning
I don't see how they could do it, but a Nutrition class with a lab would be great. More upper level courses would be wonderful.
okikuma, do you work for Sophia or are you just asking?  Sophia Learning has a member account on this board, I guess you're creating a thread to see what courses interest forum members and this way Sophia might read it - hopefully they create more wonderful courses!  Anyways, I think if they are creating new courses, they should focus on classes that aren't readily available through the other alternative ACE/NCCRS providers, including CLEP and DSST.  This will create a user base as the courses aren't offered elsewhere for cheap.

That's not all they need to work on, another recommendation is to keep their pricing low.  They shouldn't need to always offer the "HALFOFF" or 3 for $297 coupon code combo, if they offer both as regular pricing options to select from, they'll get more business.  Depending on the students needs, they will benefit from either coupon for multiple orders.  There's always a balance between everything - affordability, content quality, learning/testing platform, etc.

Last but not least, Sophia.org is owned by Capella/Strayer, they should get in contact with their Strayer division as Strayer offers challenge exams for $20/3 credits, but these exams are only available to Strayer students.  If they allow Capella (Sophia.org Students) access to these exams as well, it would be an added bonus.  You will get an enormous number of students taking BOTH Strayer exams and Sophia.org courses towards a degree at Capella/Strayer or whichever institution they're interested in that accepts these credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • alab21, ctcarl, monchevy, rachel83az
I would love to see Sophia switch formats to be similar to Straighterline, SDC, etc. and be membership + lower cost of individual course or X amount of courses in 30 days based on the membership fee. $ is the only thing that prevented me from looking in to Sophia prior to the COVID promo.
As far as courses I'd like to see, I would love to see more science courses, I'd take meteorology and astronomy without a doubt. Also math. With Sophia, I was able to complete College Algebra, when I have failed it many times before. It's the perfect format for me to learn and master the concepts, untimed, just me being able to practice as much as I need. I love how they show the "work" done on incorrect answers so that I could get an even more thorough understanding of the concept. I feel like I could even take a more advanced math course with Sophia and learn much more than I ever learned at brick and mortar colleges.
Pretty much any humanities, social science course would be great, too, even though History was very tough on Sophia. Criminal Justice courses would be great as well for those pursuing that type of degree.
I really just love learning, and I want more Sophia courses haha. I have learned a lot on Sophia.
TESU BSBA Gen Mgmt - In progress
Straighterline - 72 credits
Sophia - 35 credits
Study.com - 21 credits
TEEX - 6 credits
East MS CC, Jackson State CC, Univ of TN at Martin, Olivet Nazarene, TESU - 27 credits
Goal: teaching cert, state of GA
[-] The following 3 users Like jcooke's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts, VanillaBean
A science course with virtual lab will be also amazing too.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
[-] The following 1 user Likes cecilgambe7's post:
  • harrypotter
I think one of the biggest benefits of Sophia is that you have time to work through courses. You're not rushed to finish in a month like with those monthly membership course providers. Costs can be better controlled and it gives you leeway if life gets in the way of your studying.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
[-] The following 7 users Like SDO's post:
  • alab21, cecilgambe7, DanielT1988, ldmoose, rachel83az, ss20ts, TwinMom
(06-24-2020, 06:36 PM)SDO Wrote: I think one of the biggest benefits of Sophia is that you have time to work through courses. You're not rushed to finish in a month like with those monthly membership course providers. Costs can be better controlled and it gives you leeway if life gets in the way of your studying.

Agree, the chance for paying just for the course and then you have 60 days to finish is amazing, not as amazing to justify 329 usd per course but totally amazing. Even when you can finish most of the courses in 10 days (surely less) this is the best approach, you can take your time, learn and enjoy the course.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
[-] The following 1 user Likes cecilgambe7's post:
  • alab21
Hi,

I really liked sophia learning but as an international student costs are kinda challenging for me. Maybe 200 dollars for per course could be a great deal. Because, i have to take lots of courses and don't have much time and can't take everything as free now, not enough time to complete all my courses free but don't know. Anyways, i would like to see there some computer science major courses such as data structures and algorithms or software engineering courses. Thank you! Smile
Adding American Government, Nutrition, and Intro to Criminal Justice as Sophia course offerings would be amazing.
I LOVE the Sophia format. I wish they offered more courses. I really want a course in Nutrition and Cultural Anthropology. American Government would be great too. Definitely UL courses.

While our host may offer courses, many colleges and universities are not accepting them but do accept courses from Sophia. Many of us are also trying to limit how many transcripts we have. My number is already out of hand and I need to stop adding more!
Pricing, pricing, pricing! The normal price for course is just too high, otherwise I'd have my teens do all of them (besides any they can finish by July 31). If their normal cost was closer to $100-$200/course range, they'd be my number 1 pick.

I do love their dashboard, it's second to none. And, not having to rush through a course with that 30-day limit is fantastic. I have a kid who is just not a 30-day person, so it's nice to have an option that's longer than Study.com or SL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • alab21, Library2HospitalChaplain, TwinMom, VanillaBean

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,465 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,874 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,402 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,974 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares