Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOPHIA.ORG inaccuracy?incompetence? dishonesty?
I was told multiple times here by Sophia and in private emails that their courses were not proctored and that you did not need a webcam. I was also told that you don't need to schedule a time with a proctor.

Well, I just purchased a course from them and guess what I see at the bottom of the screen? "Schedule your I.D. Verification Milestone to complete this course". It is some final exam that must be passed to get through the course that involves taking a final exam with a Proctor.

So what gives? Why tell everyone that you don't need a proctor and have "keyboard biometrics" if I still need to have a Proctor?
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
The free Sophia courses (and maybe a handful of others?) don't have proctored exams, but most Sophia courses definitely do.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-04-2018, 05:17 PM)jsd Wrote: The free Sophia courses (and maybe a handful of others?) don't have proctored exams, but most Sophia courses definitely do.

Then why is Sophia advertising "keyboard biometric verification"? Why did they tell me "there is no proctor, we have keyboard biometrics"?

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Only the free courses and ancient greek are not proctored. The rest are.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(09-04-2018, 05:19 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Only the free courses and ancient greek are not proctored. The rest are.

This is not what Sophia.org said on this website and in private emails. Check out this thread https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...c+keyboard

And I quote:

"If you create an account on sophia.org, NONE of the courses are proctored (using biometric keyboard verification instead).  Also, if you register for 3 courses, you can use HALFOFF promo code for 50% all courses (AGP is $149 full retail, so this course ends up being $74.50 and transfers to TESU as PHI-226)."

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
I had proctoring when I took Project Management last year

but I found the post you're referring to: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid266870

It reads that you have to sign up and register at Sophia.org itself (https://www.sophia.org) vs one of the school sites (ie https://phoenix.sophia.org or https://tesu.sophia.org)

I suggest you call them.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-04-2018, 05:26 PM)AwardTour Wrote: "[i]If you create an account on sophia.org, NONE of the courses are proctored

Note is says "courses", not finals....a little slimy if that's the way they meant it
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Nevermind.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
(09-04-2018, 05:26 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 05:19 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Only the free courses and ancient greek are not proctored. The rest are.

This is not what Sophia.org said on this website and in private emails. Check out this thread https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...c+keyboard

And I quote:

"If you create an account on sophia.org, NONE of the courses are proctored (using biometric keyboard verification instead).  Also, if you register for 3 courses, you can use HALFOFF promo code for 50% all courses (AGP is $149 full retail, so this course ends up being $74.50 and transfers to TESU as PHI-226)."

If you created your account after that announcement using the sophia.org website (and not one of the subsites like phoenix.sophia.org or tesu.sophia.org) and they didn't offer you the option to use biometric proctoring, then you should be able to send a copy of the notice to their support address and request a refund or to be moved to the biometric proctoring service. The note indicated that it is being tested in beta, so it could be that you weren't added to the test group, or the person who posted it could have been wishful thinking. Either way, if you depended on their information to make a purchase decision and the information isn't accurate you are in within your rights to request a refund. Doesn't mean they will grant it, that depends on their policies, etc., but it seems like they would given the circumstances.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • AwardTour
(09-04-2018, 05:32 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 05:26 PM)AwardTour Wrote:

And I quote:

If you created your account after that announcement using the sophia.org website (and not one of the subsites like phoenix.sophia.org or tesu.sophia.org) and they didn't offer you the option to use biometric proctoring, then you should be able to send a copy of the notice to their support address and request a refund or to be moved to the biometric proctoring service. The note indicated that it is being tested in beta, so it could be that you weren't added to the test group, or the person who posted it could have been wishful thinking. Either way, if you depended on their information to make a purchase decision and the information isn't accurate you are in within your rights to request a refund. Doesn't mean they will grant it, that depends on their policies, etc., but it seems like they would given the circumstances.
Thank you Merlin.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 359 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 782 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,447 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,323 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 336 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 656 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 938 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 216 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 891 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 361 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle