Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOS-110 & Capstone | request for motivation
I have completed all the courses except SOS-110 & Capstone.

I fear enrolling as I am from Asia(India), and all my school/college works are memory-based (write the same answer from the book). We get good marks only if we match the exact words from the book.

How can I strategize to pass these courses? Please guide.
------------------

Look at previous completed capstones. Read about how to pick topics, do research, and write research papers. Have your topic chosen before you begin the course.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • akr680
This is the BSBA Capstone - there is no research, it's a project, it's basically a set of assignments and discussions - don't spend too much time on the case studies/reading - it's the assignment that counts, as I mentioned in many of my posts spend roughly 20/80 of your time on Cornerstone and Capstone.  Cornerstone is a little work compared to the Capstone, so take the bulk of your 3 months on the capstone itself.  Review the course details for BUS-421 here: https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=BUS-421&sem=

Your grade in the course will be determined as follows:

Online discussions (11)—15 percent
Case study assignments (7)—35 percent
Midterm exam (proctored, online, Modules 1–4)—25 percent
Proficiency assessment—5 percent
Final project—20 percent
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680
(02-23-2021, 05:23 PM)akr680 Wrote: I have completed all the courses except SOS-110 & Capstone.

I fear enrolling as I am from Asia(India), and all my school/college works are memory-based (write the same answer from the book). We get good marks only if we match the exact words from the book.

This is a big question! One issue is that you're asking a forum of people who have grown up with this Western-style of education - natives tend to be the worst to ask about these things because they can't recognise what they experience, because to them, it's just normal.
It's like a fish asking a human how to breathe air instead of water. I have no idea how, I just do it, because it's all I've ever known.

It may be more worthwhile to ask some other migrants who have experienced a similar situation, as they will not only understand what you're asking, but will have lived experience in how to adapt to the changed teaching styles.

I did teach for a few years in a similar environment (where the teacher was basically God, the fount of all knowledge, and students were just there to quietly write down whatever I wrote on the board, and then memorise it, regardless of whether they actually understood the content). So I know what you're talking about, having experienced the other side - even if I can't imagine it for myself.

I think the fact that you're self-aware is the first step, because it signifies that you have an ability to recognise that your own experience is not the only possibility. Being able to consider ideas as meritous, even if one doesn't hold them, is a major component of critical thinking.

One tactic I used to use with my students, to try to get them to think independently, is to continually ask them why they thought the way they did. Why do you believe that? What's your justification? Why do you disagree with the opposing view? What if you held the opposing view? How would you argue in favour of that view?
If you can do that stuff, really, you'll be fine. It's just about understanding there is no one true truth, but instead lots of different ideas and beliefs - very few of which are inherently superior.

The good news is, the American education system is rapidly moving away from this critical thinking model, and regurgitation of authorised ideas is becoming more and more prevalent. It may not be nearly the problem you're thinking it will be.
[-] The following 2 users Like innen_oda's post:
  • akr680, jch
(02-23-2021, 05:23 PM)akr680 Wrote: I have completed all the courses except SOS-110 & Capstone.

I wrote a guide on the S0S-100, that course you can't fail, you either will get an A or B.

The main thing is to be careful falling into the MyLab Black Hole.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • akr680
I would practice writing research papers in advance if you have not done one in a while or ever. Perhaps on the same topic you plan to write about for your actual capstone. Do you have any experience making presentation slides and an oral presentation?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • akr680
You can think of SOS-110 as a course that can help prepare you for the Capstone. It will consist of small writing assignments that should be fairly managable as it's intended to prepare freshmen to succeed in their courses. If you are truly nervous, you may want to take them separately instead of concurrently.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • akr680
Thanks all for your valuable suggestion and guidance
------------------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 362 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,326 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,042 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,145 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 878 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 663 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 875 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 1,976 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,657 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne