Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy My Experience
(07-08-2022, 01:27 PM)Oulton1 Wrote: Hi. Thank you for taking the time to review this class. It’s been very helpful since starting SOS-110 this week. I have a couple questions, I hope you can answer or someone else who has completed this course. 

You mention that I can retake quizzes if my score is low the first time around. I was wondering if this includes ALL quizzes or just the ones related to section 1… can the quizzes in Nimble (section 2) also be retaken as well.

I can see how easy it would be to miss a class requirement so I was wondering if there is a place within the class portal where everything is listed and as it’s completed it’s marked off by the software. I haven’t seen anything like this but I could be missing some section

You also mentioned research tools… I am only in the first week so I haven’t located these tools yet…is there a particular section I will see them available in?

Thank you for your help.

The 10-question quizzes can be retaken an unlimited number of times.

The Nimble ones you can guess on, they don't seem to care as long as you score 100% perfect for that to be completed. Be careful as some questions have multiple answers. Every question needs to be 100% completed and correct.

In the grading section, you can see your current grade and completion rate for each section. 

The research tools are located in the top navigation bar. I used mainly ProQuest as this was easier to use to pull what I needed quickly.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Oulton1
I found the number of assignments (especially discussion posts and responses) to be a lot to keep track of. What I started then (and have continued into my graduate program) is developing a spreadsheet of every assignment due (including individual listings for posts and replies for each discussion post) and the date due, and a column to mark it completed.

I took 110 and 495 at the same time, and put all assignments for both classes, with each class a different color, then sorted by date.

That spreadsheet became my bible while working on my coursework. Every time I'd sit down to do work, I'd open the spreadsheet, see what I had left to do. (I was always waaaaay ahead in 110, but in some cases, like the discussion posts, I had to wait until somebody else posted to be able to post a response. The spreadsheet made keeping track of that easy.

If you want the spreadsheet, I'd be happy to send you a copy if you PM me. But you should check it against the current syllabus (I took the course in July 2021) in case any of the assignments have changed.
[-] The following 4 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • Arto, Oulton1, schlocker, TwinMom
(07-09-2022, 12:24 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: I found the number of assignments (especially discussion posts and responses) to be a lot to keep track of.  What I started then (and have continued into my graduate program) is developing a spreadsheet of every assignment due (including individual listings for posts and replies for each discussion post) and the date due, and a column to mark it completed.

I took 110 and 495 at the same time, and put all assignments for both classes, with each class a different color, then sorted by date.

That spreadsheet became my bible while working on my coursework. Every time I'd sit down to do work, I'd open the spreadsheet, see what I had left to do. (I was always waaaaay ahead in 110, but in some cases, like the discussion posts, I had to wait until somebody else posted to be able to post a response.  The spreadsheet made keeping track of that easy.

If you want the spreadsheet, I'd be happy to send you a copy if you PM me. But you should check it against the current syllabus (I took the course in July 2021) in case any of the assignments have changed.

Thank you for the offer- I’ve sent you a pm.
Goal: BA in English (TESU)
91/120

In progress-Coopersmith: Medieval Hispano- Jewish Poetry
(07-08-2022, 02:23 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 01:27 PM)Oulton1 Wrote: Hi. Thank you for taking the time to review this class. It’s been very helpful since starting SOS-110 this week. I have a couple questions, I hope you can answer or someone else who has completed this course. 

You mention that I can retake quizzes if my score is low the first time around. I was wondering if this includes ALL quizzes or just the ones related to section 1… can the quizzes in Nimble (section 2) also be retaken as well.

I can see how easy it would be to miss a class requirement so I was wondering if there is a place within the class portal where everything is listed and as it’s completed it’s marked off by the software. I haven’t seen anything like this but I could be missing some section

You also mentioned research tools… I am only in the first week so I haven’t located these tools yet…is there a particular section I will see them available in?

Thank you for your help.

The 10-question quizzes can be retaken an unlimited number of times.

The Nimble ones you can guess on, they don't seem to care as long as you score 100% perfect for that to be completed. Be careful as some questions have multiple answers. Every question needs to be 100% completed and correct.

In the grading section, you can see your current grade and completion rate for each section. 

The research tools are located in the top navigation bar. I used mainly ProQuest as this was easier to use to pull what I needed quickly.

Thank you. Extra information you posted has been helpful. I have also sent you a pm concerning final project location.
Goal: BA in English (TESU)
91/120

In progress-Coopersmith: Medieval Hispano- Jewish Poetry
(11-16-2020, 12:47 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I started the SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy and wanted to share my experience with you all.  With the recent $1000 TESU scholarship, we might have a wave of people taking this course in December 2020.

The way I see it is this course is broken down into different sections.

In order easiest to hardest with writing sections last.

Section 1: Quizzes (5 parts) 10% of your grade
These are super easy, just intro questions for each section of the course.  You can retake quizzes as many times as you like and they ask the exact same question each time.  Took me like 1 hour to do them all.

Section 2: Nimble (2 parts) 14% of your grade
This section deals a lot with how to do research papers. You can test out if you score 90% or higher on the pretest.  They aren't that bad to go through.  Quizzes are easy.  Around 3-5hrs to go through each part.

Section 4: MyLab (10 parts) 12% of your grade
This section tests your reading skills, writing, and math skills. You can test out if you score 73% or higher on the pretest for each module.  Math is simple and is heavy in fractions, no algebra. Mylab modules can take 3 hours to go through each one so try not to fail too many on the pretest or you will end up with A LOT of work to do.  Working through some of these modules can be challenging.

Section 5: Discussion posts (6 parts) 12% of your grade
Usually, they give you a page to read, then you respond with a post answering the questions. Pretty easy points, takes like 15-30 min to do each one.  

Section 6: Writing (7 parts) 32% of your grade
Most writing assignments are short like 500 words, a few of the writing assignments go towards the final paper.  It is taking me a couple of hours or less to do each one.

Section 7: Final Paper (1 part) 20% of your grade
1000 words minimum.  You should have some of this writing done drawing from other writing projects you did earlier.

Final Thoughts
It is pretty overwelling when you start this course to see everything you have to do and a calendar packed with all sorts of deadlines.  The good news is that you can work ahead and finish up everything ahead of time if you want.

The quizzes, Nimble, MyLab, you can do ahead of time easily.

The Discussion posts you can write them in ahead of time, though wait to post till you get near the deadline.  You will have to wait anyway as part of the requirement is 2 responses to other posters.

The writing assignments you can do in advance and wait to submit.  This may not get graded anyway till the due date so it wouldn't serve any purpose to turn them in early.

All in all, 1/2 of the points are easy 100% A, so even if you fail the writing, you can still average a C in this class.

Time management is important, getting ahead makes things easier and less dealing with annoying deadlines.

There is free Online Tutoring so you can submit your papers there for a second set of eyes to see before turning them in.

Practice using the research tools and get a feel for how to use the Moodle software. 

Total time, I estimate less than 40hour or around 3hr a week on average to do this course.

Anyone planning on taking this course in 1-3 months? 

Hey @levelUP, is there anywhere to readup or practice for the pre-test so we can score 90%? ... That one seem to be one try only
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

(08-28-2022, 07:58 PM)StudentOLife Wrote: Hey @levelUP, is there anywhere to readup or practice for the pre-test so we can score 90%? ... That one seem to be one try only

There is no way to study. Either you know the info, or you don't. I did manage to test out one part but not the other. 

The Nimble stuff is fast to go through. They don't punish you for guessing. It's free 100% points.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • StudentOLife
(08-28-2022, 10:45 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 07:58 PM)StudentOLife Wrote: Hey @levelUP, is there anywhere to readup or practice for the pre-test so we can score 90%? ... That one seem to be one try only

There is no way to study. Either you know the info, or you don't. I did manage to test out one part but not the other. 

The Nimble stuff is fast to go through. They don't punish you for guessing. It's free 100% points.
Ah bummer, I guess I'd be careful and research critcal info lit to find out what's right/wrong, thank you!
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

(08-29-2022, 08:22 AM)StudentOLife Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 10:45 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Ah bummer, I guess I'd be careful and research critcal info lit to find out what's right/wrong, thank you!
The way my mentor explained it to us. It’s all or nothing. You either have to keep redoing it till you get 100% on each section.  or you get a zero.
(08-29-2022, 09:19 AM)Pats20 Wrote: The way my mentor explained it to us. It’s all or nothing. You either have to keep redoing it till you get 100% on each section.  or you get a zero.

Yep

Some questions require multiple answers. You need exactly 100%. Not 99.7%.

Be careful when you see green correct, but the points don't add up.
As a heads up, SOS-110 has changed a bit as P226mem has pointed out https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...d-Dec-2022 and for anyone searching what to expect with SOS-110, I'll post my experience and thoughts there shortly.
In Progress:
TESU:
BA Computer Science (117/120)
SoonCapstone

Completed: AS in Mathematics, Certificate in Computer Information Systems

TESU: 6 Credits (SOS-110, CMP-3540) - 2023
Coursera: 24 Credits (IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Foundations, SAS Advanced Programmer, Google Data Analytics) 2022-2023
Study.com: 27 Credits (Management Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Data Structures, Intro to Operating Systems, Calculus) 2020-2022
InstantCert.com: 3 Credits (American Government) - 2022
CSMLearn.com: 3 Credits - 2021
Sophia.org: 46 Credits - 2020
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service 11 Credits - 2020
B&M College: 105.34 Credits - 2010
[-] The following 2 users Like AllThose299s's post:
  • Arto, LevelUP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CIS-351 Software Engineering - Course Experience? Sallym 38 4,325 03-05-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Vin
  SOS 110 Information Literacy discounted through edx Microbachelor MNomadic 45 5,822 01-24-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recent ProctorU & Network Technology TECEP (CMP-3540) Experience AllThose299s 5 759 11-01-2023, 10:27 PM
  Intro to Critical Reasoning - TESU course Kones 10 720 10-19-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Saylor SE course and transfer as UL experience? evenFair23 9 748 09-26-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: evenFair23
  EDx Information Literacy not accepted for Computer Science SOS-110 mt_1994 23 2,187 06-25-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Contradictory Information Given by Admissions mariobros1985 6 699 05-10-2023, 03:53 PM
  Davar CS315 management information systems for tesu? CanICode 1 451 04-18-2023, 06:26 PM
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,648 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne
  TESU Advisor Telling me Wrong Information? Captainrekt000 14 1,382 11-06-2022, 10:14 AM