Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy My Experience
There should be a link in the MyLab section that says course home. It takes you to the registration site. Its is $30.
[-] The following 2 users Like acmh1211's post:
  • Dorothy44, themailbox61
(01-30-2021, 10:41 PM)themailbox61 Wrote: This is AWESOME info. I am starting this course on Monday. I already got the link. My only question is... where the hell is MyLab??? it tells me it's on the course page, but I don't see it anywhere? Is it a separate sight I sign up on???

When I took this course, I had to wait until the course officially started on the Monday to purchase and start MyLab. The link showed up on then and it was separate purchase and went quickly. See if it shows up Monday morning (Eastern time)
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • themailbox61
Any recommendations on good professors for this course?

Aiming for TESU BSBA-GM, ASNSM in Biology, ASNSM in Computer Science
[-] The following 1 user Likes elenlushk's post:
  • akr680
Thanks for the great info.

How much is the cost of the course?
------------------

(02-11-2021, 05:18 PM)akr680 Wrote: Thanks for the great info.

SOS110 at TESU is a required course. It is 3 credits. Tuition and Fees can be found here https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/tuition-fees
For out of state tuition on per credit it is $519 per credit. (519 x 3)
You'll want to look at the tuition and fees for in state.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • akr680
(02-11-2021, 07:21 PM)P226mem Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 05:18 PM)akr680 Wrote: Thanks for the great info.

SOS110 at TESU is a required course. It is 3 credits. Tuition and Fees can be found here https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/tuition-fees
For out of state tuition on per credit it is $519 per credit. (519 x 3)
You'll want to look at the tuition and fees for in state.
Thank you
------------------

Thank you for the break down. This information was a lifesaver.
(06-29-2021, 06:05 PM)wgriffin81 Wrote: Thank you for the break down. This information was a lifesaver.

yw.

I figured people would be searching the forum for info on the sos110 course so included key search terms in the title.

The grading on TESU for the papers usually is pretty easy as long as you mostly follow the rubric.  The lowest grade I got in the 6 classes I took with them was a C.

I pretty much guarantee you will make an A or B in this course.

Don't be afraid to reach out to the professor if you have any questions, everyone there has been super nice from my experience.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-29-2021, 08:26 PM)LevelUP Wrote: yw.

I figured people would be searching the forum for info on the sos110 course so included key search terms in the title.

The grading on TESU for the papers usually is pretty easy as long as you mostly follow the rubric.  The lowest grade I got in the 6 classes I took with them was a C.

I pretty much guarantee you will make an A or B in this course.

Don't be afraid to reach out to the professor if you have any questions, everyone there has been super nice from my experience.

Would you mind sharing which classes you took (aside from the obvious capstone/cornerstone)? I'm looking for classes that are easy and, if possible, don't have any proctored exams. I want to add them to the list on this page: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...University
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-16-2020, 12:47 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I started the SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy and wanted to share my experience with you all.  With the recent $1000 TESU scholarship, we might have a wave of people taking this course in December 2020.

The way I see it is this course is broken down into different sections.

In order easiest to hardest with writing sections last.

Section 1: Quizzes (5 parts) 10% of your grade
These are super easy, just intro questions for each section of the course.  You can retake quizzes as many times as you like and they ask the exact same question each time.  Took me like 1 hour to do them all.

Section 2: Nimble (2 parts) 14% of your grade
This section deals a lot with how to do research papers. You can test out if you score 90% or higher on the pretest.  They aren't that bad to go through.  Quizzes are easy.  Around 3-5hrs to go through each part.

Section 4: MyLab (10 parts) 12% of your grade
This section tests your reading skills, writing, and math skills. You can test out if you score 73% or higher on the pretest for each module.  Math is simple and is heavy in fractions, no algebra. Mylab modules can take 3 hours to go through each one so try not to fail too many on the pretest or you will end up with A LOT of work to do.  Working through some of these modules can be challenging.

Section 5: Discussion posts (6 parts) 12% of your grade
Usually, they give you a page to read, then you respond with a post answering the questions. Pretty easy points, takes like 15-30 min to do each one.  

Section 6: Writing (7 parts) 32% of your grade
Most writing assignments are short like 500 words, a few of the writing assignments go towards the final paper.  It is taking me a couple of hours or less to do each one.

Section 7: Final Paper (1 part) 20% of your grade
1000 words minimum.  You should have some of this writing done drawing from other writing projects you did earlier.

Final Thoughts
It is pretty overwelling when you start this course to see everything you have to do and a calendar packed with all sorts of deadlines.  The good news is that you can work ahead and finish up everything ahead of time if you want.

The quizzes, Nimble, MyLab, you can do ahead of time easily.

The Discussion posts you can write them in ahead of time, though wait to post till you get near the deadline.  You will have to wait anyway as part of the requirement is 2 responses to other posters.

The writing assignments you can do in advance and wait to submit.  This may not get graded anyway till the due date so it wouldn't serve any purpose to turn them in early.

All in all, 1/2 of the points are easy 100% A, so even if you fail the writing, you can still average a C in this class.

Time management is important, getting ahead makes things easier and less dealing with annoying deadlines.

There is free Online Tutoring so you can submit your papers there for a second set of eyes to see before turning them in.

Practice using the research tools and get a feel for how to use the Moodle software. 

Total time, I estimate less than 40hour or around 3hr a week on average to do this course.

Anyone planning on taking this course in 1-3 months? 
Hi. Thank you for taking the time to review this class. It’s been very helpful since starting SOS-110 this week. I have a couple questions, I hope you can answer or someone else who has completed this course. 

You mention that I can retake quizzes if my score is low the first time around. I was wondering if this includes ALL quizzes or just the ones related to section 1… can the quizzes in Nimble (section 2) also be retaken as well.

I can see how easy it would be to miss a class requirement so I was wondering if there is a place within the class portal where everything is listed and as it’s completed it’s marked off by the software. I haven’t seen anything like this but I could be missing some section

You also mentioned research tools… I am only in the first week so I haven’t located these tools yet…is there a particular section i will see them available in?

Thank you for your help.
Goal: BA in English (TESU)
91/120

In progress-Coopersmith: Medieval Hispano- Jewish Poetry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CIS-351 Software Engineering - Course Experience? Sallym 38 4,388 03-05-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Vin
  SOS 110 Information Literacy discounted through edx Microbachelor MNomadic 45 5,977 01-24-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recent ProctorU & Network Technology TECEP (CMP-3540) Experience AllThose299s 5 791 11-01-2023, 10:27 PM
  Intro to Critical Reasoning - TESU course Kones 10 755 10-19-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Saylor SE course and transfer as UL experience? evenFair23 9 761 09-26-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: evenFair23
  EDx Information Literacy not accepted for Computer Science SOS-110 mt_1994 23 2,201 06-25-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Contradictory Information Given by Admissions mariobros1985 6 711 05-10-2023, 03:53 PM
  Davar CS315 management information systems for tesu? CanICode 1 459 04-18-2023, 06:26 PM
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,657 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne
  TESU Advisor Telling me Wrong Information? Captainrekt000 14 1,391 11-06-2022, 10:14 AM