Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOS110 and BSBA/BALS capstones
Are the assignments generally the same for everyone for these classes? The reason I ask is because hubby and I have a more liberal schedule for the next 2-3 weeks but we can't enroll yet (capstones). He only has 98 credits and they're requiring 100 before enrollment and I have around 90-100ish (waiting on updated eval) so we're really close but just not there yet. We'll have to wait until the September term to start the capstones. We'll have enough credits by then but we'll have a lot less free time. Unfortunately it looks like we'll also be taking our capstones and the Info Lit class at the same time, which I've heard is just a huge time-suck. To make this even more fun, we're both taking Eng Comp 2 through Sophia right now and we're both very weak writers. 

We're hoping for March graduation so I think everything needs to be wrapped up by November but I could be wrong. 

Basically what I'm asking is, is there anything we can do now to prepare for the huge amount of work coming our way? I don't want to waste our upcoming free days if instead we can knock out a huge chunk of work. I don't know if everyone gets the same basic assignment or if each class/teacher does something different. To be clear, we're not looking to cheat or get answers or anything. Just saying if we need to do a lot of writing, we'd like to start now while we have time. 

Of course we will continue with the last few classes that we need, but they're not stressing us out like these others with all this writing. 

Any advice appreciated, thanks!
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

(08-02-2020, 01:33 AM)lillingworth Wrote: Basically what I'm asking is, is there anything we can do now to prepare for the huge amount of work coming our way? I don't want to waste our upcoming free days if instead we can knock out a huge chunk of work. I don't know if everyone gets the same basic assignment or if each class/teacher does something different. To be clear, we're not looking to cheat or get answers or anything. Just saying if we need to do a lot of writing, we'd like to start now while we have time. 

I know that the Business capstones do vary from term to term (and they may vary by the instructor as well) so people cannot reference earlier courses to figure out what case study questions they will need to prepare for ahead of time. To do otherwise would be to invite people copying papers from students who took the course previously.

There will be shared content between all the business capstones, but most of that is just like what chapters to read. The options for the final project may be the same as well since that is a research project where you create your own case study analysis, but I wouldn't make that assumption.

I assume the Liberal Arts capstone works in the same way as the Business Capstone in the approach, if not the content.

As for what you can do to prepare... order the textbook as soon as you can. Read it cover to cover and take copious notes. There is a ton of reading and writing in the capstone, so the more of this you can do ahead of time the more of a head start you will have. You can skip the case study chapters (if you're doing BUS421) since you will be assigned specific companies to read and analyze once the class starts and won't need to read them all.

Beyond that, you'll also be writing up an intro post for the forum, so you could write that in advance... not that it will save you too much time.

The only other thing I can recommend is to do as much writing practice as you can. The more comfortable you are the faster and easier it will be.

As far as difficulty, SOS-110 is not hard. It has a bunch of small papers, but you should be able to burn through those pretty fast. The capstone is what takes the bulk of your time. It will feel overwhelming for the first few weeks but will become easier as time goes along. Getting the reading out of the way beforehand will reduce the time and stress quite a bit,

Also, keep in mind that you only need a D to pass SOS-110 while you need at least a C to pass the capstone. So if you are time-strapped and don't care about GPA, you can always steal time from the cornerstone to focus more on the capstone.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(08-02-2020, 06:06 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 01:33 AM)lillingworth Wrote: Basically what I'm asking is, is there anything we can do now to prepare for the huge amount of work coming our way? I don't want to waste our upcoming free days if instead we can knock out a huge chunk of work. I don't know if everyone gets the same basic assignment or if each class/teacher does something different. To be clear, we're not looking to cheat or get answers or anything. Just saying if we need to do a lot of writing, we'd like to start now while we have time. 

I know that the Business capstones do vary from term to term (and they may vary by the instructor as well) so people cannot reference earlier courses to figure out what case study questions they will need to prepare for ahead of time. To do otherwise would be to invite people copying papers from students who took the course previously.

There will be shared content between all the business capstones, but most of that is just like what chapters to read. The options for the final project may be the same as well since that is a research project where you create your own case study analysis, but I wouldn't make that assumption.

I assume the Liberal Arts capstone works in the same way as the Business Capstone in the approach, if not the content.

As for what you can do to prepare... order the textbook as soon as you can. Read it cover to cover and take copious notes. There is a ton of reading and writing in the capstone, so the more of this you can do ahead of time the more of a head start you will have. You can skip the case study chapters (if you're doing BUS421) since you will be assigned specific companies to read and analyze once the class starts and won't need to read them all.

Beyond that, you'll also be writing up an intro post for the forum, so you could write that in advance... not that it will save you too much time.

The only other thing I can recommend is to do as much writing practice as you can. The more comfortable you are the faster and easier it will be.

As far as difficulty, SOS-110 is not hard. It has a bunch of small papers, but you should be able to burn through those pretty fast. The capstone is what takes the bulk of your time. It will feel overwhelming for the first few weeks but will become easier as time goes along. Getting the reading out of the way beforehand will reduce the time and stress quite a bit,

Also, keep in mind that you only need a D to pass SOS-110 while you need at least a C to pass the capstone. So if you are time-strapped and don't care about GPA, you can always steal time from the cornerstone to focus more on the capstone.

Thank you, this is really helpful! Do you happen to know the titles of the books we'll need or how we can find them without being enrolled?

I know SOS110 probably won't be too difficult for my husband but I'm very stressed about it. I haven't written a paper since 2000-2001 and I've never written a college level argumentative paper like what Sophia is asking for. If I could at least get started I'd probably be fine but that's the hardest part I guess haha.
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

(08-02-2020, 08:01 AM)lillingworth Wrote: Thank you, this is really helpful! Do you happen to know the titles of the books we'll need or how we can find them without being enrolled?

I'd check the online syllabus and bookstore links for getting some of that. I'm not seeing on the bookstore site an actual book to order for SOS 110 (for sept term which I am enrolled).
syllabus 110 can be found on this https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=SOS-110&sem=
and book store https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/bookstore

some of it may not be available until class starts (or sometimes the day or two before you can access via myedison) but at least it's a start to look over things which could change.

edit to add: and for capstone, the syllabus can be seen https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=LIB-495&sem=
or other undergrad courses.... https://www2.tesu.edu/listall.php
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(08-02-2020, 08:01 AM)lillingworth Wrote: Thank you, this is really helpful! Do you happen to know the titles of the books we'll need or how we can find them without being enrolled?

You should be able to find them on the TESU website. I am pretty sure I got that information when I looked up the course information on the TESU website or bookstore... that or when I registered for the class. Either way, they don't hide the info since you need it to order the books, which you need to do well in advance since they can take a while to get to you.

It looks like P226mem posted the info for the Liberal Arts capstone. If you need the Business capstone, you can find it as BUS-421 from the course search or bookstore.

If you order the book, be aware that textbooks get regular updates so the edition number can vary. Make sure you get a book with the same edition as the one listed in the syllabus or TESU website. Getting an older edition may be cheaper but they may have different chapter content or case studies.

(08-02-2020, 08:01 AM)lillingworth Wrote: I know SOS110 probably won't be too difficult for my husband but I'm very stressed about it. I haven't written a paper since 2000-2001 and I've never written a college level argumentative paper like what Sophia is asking for. If I could at least get started I'd probably be fine but that's the hardest part I guess haha.

The intention of courses like English 101, 102, and SOS-110 is to prepare you for writing college-level papers. They are introductory courses and should be easy to complete. When I started back at college I had the same concerns as you about writing, but I found that as I took more courses with paper assignments I got better at it. Tasking the English courses and information literacy helped prepare me for upper-division writing assignments such as those in the Capstone. Completing the Capstone prepared me for the even greater writing requirements in grad school.

Nearly all upper-level courses require papers, so you should have had to at least do a few of those courses to get to the point where you can sign up for the capstone. But if not, you may be better served by going back to retake English 101 or 102 to refresh your knowledge and reinforce your college writing skills. I recommend the teacher-led English courses at Straighterline as you work 1:1 with a teacher in those courses and the teacher is awesome. If you take them through Study.com or elsewhere you only get a remote paper grader with no direct instruction.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon
Many people seem to end up in this situation. I was not a member of this board when I decided on TESU so it didn't influence my decision. As soon as I realized I was going to matriculate I signed up for SOS-110. I knew there was no way to get out of it, so like ripping off a band-aid I figured I'd just get it over with. I'm curious why so few people do that and end up with SOS-110 and the capstone as the only remaining classes. I understand the strategy of taking ONLY those two courses at TESU but I don't understand the strategy of not getting one done early while knocking out alternative credits. If anything it saves money since tuition increases seem to occur every year, especially for people only taking one class at a time. Is it because people don't realize the workload of the capstone and the wisdom of isolating it? Perhaps that should be strongly recommended in the recommendations here?
(08-02-2020, 07:15 PM)tallpilot Wrote: Many people seem to end up in this situation.  I was not a member of this board when I decided on TESU so it didn't influence my decision.  As soon as I realized I was going to matriculate I signed up for SOS-110.  I knew there was no way to get out of it, so like ripping off a band-aid I figured I'd just get it over with.  I'm curious why so few people do that and end up with SOS-110 and the capstone as the only remaining classes.  I understand the strategy of taking ONLY those two courses at TESU but I don't understand the strategy of not getting one done early while knocking out alternative credits.  If anything it saves money since tuition increases seem to occur every year, especially for people only taking one class at a time.  Is it because people don't realize the workload of the capstone and the wisdom of isolating it?  Perhaps that should be strongly recommended in the recommendations here?

Because most of us are in a hurry to get a degree due to promotions or other life factors. We generally don't have time to stretch everything across multiple terms. 

That's my guess anyway. I'm in a rush because I can't immigrate until I have a degree and I'm so so so ready to leave Asia. I don't really have time to do the classes in separate terms. My husband has the chance to get a really good job but only if he has a degree. He's got the necessary experience but he has to be able to check that box. We're both in a rush and can't wait 6 months or longer plus the time it takes to confer the degree.

(08-02-2020, 08:58 AM)P226mem Wrote:

I'd check the online syllabus and bookstore links for getting some of that.  I'm not seeing on the bookstore site an actual book to order for SOS 110 (for sept term which I am enrolled).
syllabus 110 can be found on this https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=SOS-110&sem=
and book store https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/bookstore

some of it may not be available until class starts (or sometimes the day or two before you can access via myedison)  but at least it's a start to look over things which could change.

edit to add: and for capstone, the syllabus can be seen https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=LIB-495&sem=
or other undergrad courses.... https://www2.tesu.edu/listall.php

Thank you for this! I found one of the books already and will order it today. It looks like it takes about a month to ship over here haha.

Merlin - most of the classes that required heavy writing were dealt with a long time ago so I haven't run into any recently that required a paper. That being said, I have about 4 UL classes I still need and I expect most or all will need a paper or two.

If I hadn't already enrolled in Sophia's free Comp 2 course I might have tried one of the ones you recommended, but it doesn't make financial sense to pay for something I can get for free (also, covid has severely affected my work so I have to be cheap for now).

I do think I will study and read up a bit on improving writing on my own. I used to be a great writer in Uni and I think with a bit of work I can get there again and push through these last few classes.

As always, I appreciate yours and everyone's advice and insight. Thanks!

**For anyone ordering the BSBA capstone book: The kindle edition on Amazon does NOT include the cases. The book is useless. Get the physical copy.

(08-02-2020, 07:15 PM)tallpilot Wrote: Many people seem to end up in this situation.  I was not a member of this board when I decided on TESU so it didn't influence my decision.  As soon as I realized I was going to matriculate I signed up for SOS-110.  I knew there was no way to get out of it, so like ripping off a band-aid I figured I'd just get it over with.  I'm curious why so few people do that and end up with SOS-110 and the capstone as the only remaining classes.  I understand the strategy of taking ONLY those two courses at TESU but I don't understand the strategy of not getting one done early while knocking out alternative credits.  If anything it saves money since tuition increases seem to occur every year, especially for people only taking one class at a time.  Is it because people don't realize the workload of the capstone and the wisdom of isolating it?  Perhaps that should be strongly recommended in the recommendations here?

TESU recommends that people's first course be SOS-110 (Information Literacy Cornerstone) and I usually mirror that recommendation as well. Maybe not as the first course, but it should certainly be taken instead of taking a TECEP to officially enroll (or to extend enrollment for another year). I think would be advisable for someone to have taken English 101-102 before Information Literacy since it is designed to build on knowledge gained in the English courses, but they do overlap so the other way could work as well.

Personally, I don't see any other reason to delay taking the cornerstone since it costs the same either way and it will be far easier and less stressful to take SOS-110 along with ACE/NCCRS courses than it will to take it alongside the capstone.

Obviously, if someone is very close to the end already, or there are timing issues as lillingworth mentioned, then there may be no other choice but to take them simultaneously, but it does add risk and stress to do so. Even then, I'd try to stagger the start month, so the capstone starts at least a month after the cornerstone so you have at least a month of time where you only have to worry about completing one course. You'll want that time at the end of the capstone since that is when you'll be working on the final project which requires a huge investment of time in research and writing.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

I've seen several people post here that they needed to enroll in both classes at the same time in order to be eligible for financial aid, since you need to be enrolled in 6+ units for some aid. The challenge for many people using alternative credits is that the Capstone is often the most expensive course they will take, and they need to be able to pay for it. I do agree that if you have any way to manage it, taking the Capstone by itself is a good idea, since that's a tough class!
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
Is there a softbook copy available for SOS 110 & Capstone
------------------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,755 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Two capstones in one term Yenisei 4 351 01-19-2024, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  TESU BSBA - General Management Cire 5 771 12-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: etirflita
  BSBA/BS-CIS? Jwheels27 14 1,299 10-23-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Is CIS still a BSBA or it´s now a different degree? MrPanda 28 2,362 10-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA Accounting 2nd Degree at TESU. mog538 10 1,144 10-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Managerial Accounting for TESU BSBA Entrepreneurship schlocker 3 500 09-21-2023, 03:35 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BACS/BSBA CIS - Transferring Credits MortySanchez 12 1,312 09-08-2023, 10:26 AM
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 413 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
  TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci trying2grad 10 721 08-20-2023, 12:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore