Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway)
I saw a Facebook ad and checked it out; I found it to be pretty exciting and figured I would share it here!

https://www.suu.edu/speedway/

Southern Utah University (SUU) is an RA University that has launched an online program they are calling "Speedway."
  • Bachelor of General Studies
  • $75 / Credit
  • Transfer up to 90 credits.
  • 7 Week online terms.
  • No application fee.
As I know several students at the University of the People (UoPeople), I emailed the credit transfer department at SUU, and they confirmed they accept credit from UoPeople if the credit is July 1, 2020, or newer. I then spoke to someone at Harvard Extension, and they confirmed that this degree could be used to go to their school.

I could be in error, but this seems like a fantastic deal for someone looking to get a Bachelor but isn't concerned about a specific concentration of study.

Thoughts?
[-] The following 2 users Like EDUxplorer's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, MrPanda
This has been posted about before. The 90 credits do not, IIRC, include anything like Study.com or Sophia. Only CLEPS and (maybe) DSSTs. So, it's not really all that cheap or fast. Cheaper than the average American degree, sure. But not cheaper than TESU or UMPI. Maybe not even as cheap as SNHU, even though SNHU has a higher per-credit cost.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, Kab, ss20ts
(11-25-2022, 06:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote: This has been posted about before. The 90 credits do not, IIRC, include anything like Study.com or Sophia. Only CLEPS and (maybe) DSSTs. So, it's not really all that cheap or fast. Cheaper than the average American degree, sure. But not cheaper than TESU or UMPI. Maybe not even as cheap as SNHU, even though SNHU has a higher per-credit cost.

Oh! I used the search function and couldn't find it already posted here on the forums. Apologies for that.

As for speed, I'm not sure. They do advertise "3 years." As for price, they promote a $9,000 total cost (120*75=9,000).

However, if transferring 90 credits from UoPeople:

• 30 classes from UoPeople * $120 = $3,600
• 30 credits from SUU * $75 = $2,250
• UoPeople application Fee = $60

The total cost of $5,910 for an RA, granted it is in General Studies.

The example is given because I know about a dozen students at UoPeople, and we all spoke about this a couple of days ago and had been looking into it. Most of us have 75-100+ credits already done, so maybe it is just that the shoe fits well...
[-] The following 1 user Likes EDUxplorer's post:
  • MrPanda
Yeah, if you already have UoPeople credit, it's not a bad deal. But UMPI is significantly cheaper for almost everyone.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(11-25-2022, 01:03 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Yeah, if you already have UoPeople credit, it's not a bad deal. But UMPI is significantly cheaper for almost everyone.

I could see that now that I'm looking at their site, a flat rate per semester.

I love these forums; they are a great place to become informed!
Hello Everyone,

https://www.suu.edu/speedway/

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...on-Program

I came across this program in the thread above that SUU is offering. It appears to be a Bachelor Degree in General Studies that can be completed in as little as 3 years and at $75 per credit which puts the total at $9,000 (less if credits are transferred in).

I have a few questions regarding this program:

1. Can you take just one or three courses in the 7 week period or do you must take two courses every 7 weeks?

2. Are the books and course materials included in the $75 per credit cost?

3. Can you study at your own pace and time?

4. Are there any other hidden costs?

Best Regards,

NewStudent101
This degree has come up a couple of times here. IMO, it's not a very attractive offering at all.

1. I don't think this point has ever been covered. But the SUU page says that you can focus on "just one" class at a time. So, I believe you can take only one class. But maybe not more than two.

2. I don't believe that there are any cost for books. I could be mistaken, but I believe some earlier promotional material mentioned this.

3. Time, yes. You can complete the weekly requirements at whatever time of day you wish. Midnight or 3 in the afternoon. Whatever, they don't care. Pace, no. Each class is 7 weeks and is formatted like a regular class, with weekly assignments due. If you want a general studies degree at your own pace, go with UMPI. It'll be both faster and cheaper. If you're in Texas, TAMUC would be cheaper still for a generic degree.

4. I don't believe so, but they also don't seem to accept much in the way of transfer credit, IIRC. A handful of CLEPs may be it for alt credit. This potentially makes them even more expensive than TESU.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Not sure why anyone would do this program, it's slow, and not as cheap as other options. Degrees at TESU, EU, and UMPI are all cheaper by quite a bit (1/2 to 1/3 of the price).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For anybody that knows about this university. Some questions about the program:
1) can you make some credits and then let it? a way to get regional accredited credits. Slow but a way to start.
2) can you transfer 90 credits? if you only need the remaining 10 classes or 30 credits can be slow but not too expensive. For some people can be interesting.
3)Do you need to buy books? or they give you the material.
Thanks in advance for your answer.
(04-03-2023, 01:07 PM)Kab Wrote: For anybody that knows about this university. Some questions about the program:
1) can you make some credits and then let it? a way to get regional accredited credits. Slow but a way to start.
2) can you transfer 90 credits? if you only need the remaining 10 classes or 30 credits can be slow but not too expensive. For some people can be interesting.
3)Do you need to buy books? or they give you the material.
Thanks in advance for your answer.

You're right, it is an inexpensive way to get RA credit.  There are also some UL courses available.

Unfortunately, you do have to take SUU1020: Strategies for Success in your first term - although it's only a 1cr course so not a ton of money wasted there.

They do accept up to 30cr of CLEP/DSST, I don't think they accept ACE/NCCRS credit though.

So, even if they did only require 30cr in residency, you'd have to bring in 60cr of RA from a CC or somewhere like that - which defeats the purpose of going there to get RA credit - you already have RA credit if you want to graduate from there in a reasonable amount of time/money.

So, unless you REALLY want to take some of these courses, I think you're better off going elsewhere.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 787 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 283 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,548 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 605 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  General Thanks And Where I'm Headed Now TINASAM 3 421 10-22-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  I'm getting another Bachelor's degree nomaduser 21 1,930 10-20-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,209 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 611 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77