Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Juan - Do They Accept ACE Credits?
Someone is posting for advice on earning credits towards the vet tech program at San Juan College - do they accept ACE Credits? I wanted to tell her about Straighterline, Study.com, etc, but when I checked Straighterline's partner colleges, I noticed San Juan wasn't a partner college.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
rowan555 Wrote:Someone is posting for advice on earning credits towards the vet tech program at San Juan College - do they accept ACE Credits? I wanted to tell her about Straighterline, Study.com, etc, but when I checked Straighterline's partner colleges, I noticed San Juan wasn't a partner college.

ACE is a very funny credit form, I contacted my local and state colleges and asked if they accept ACE credit. They informed me that they do in fact except them. However you have to talk to the department chair about prior approval. I submitted about 6 or 7 courses to HVCC and everyone of the denied. Most likely her college wont take much if any ACE, just my experience with it at least.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:ACE is a very funny credit form, I contacted my local and state colleges and asked if they accept ACE credit. They informed me that they do in fact except them. However you have to talk to the department chair about prior approval. I submitted about 6 or 7 courses to HVCC and everyone of the denied. Most likely her college wont take much if any ACE, just my experience with it at least.

At MANY colleges I've seen, they will accept them from military folks, but not from anyone else. It will specifically say something about them under the "Military" section of the school. So if you come from the military, they will have a whole department helping you to use your military experience to get college credit, and can be pretty open to granting credit for all kinds of things. Those people will be up on all kinds of credit - ACE, CLEP, DSST, JST, DLPF, BOOST, etc. But when you come as a regular student, the advisors will give you a blank look when you ask about ACE credit, and many times with CLEP and DSST. They probably have never even heard of it.

Here's just one example, from San Diego State University: San Diego State University, Veterans Center: Academic Credit

"Unit recommendations for service branches are made by the American Council on Education’s Commission on Education Credit and Credentials (ACE Guide).SDSU awards credit for military education, MOS Rankings (Military Occupational Specialties) and Military Experience with ACE recommended baccalaureate/associate or graduate degree category units. SDSU awards lower and/or upper division units as specified in the ACE credit recommendations. SDSU does not award credit for any vocational, technical or certificate degree category units."

My BFF's daughter goes to Cal State Monterey Bay, and has been actively discouraged from taking CLEP and DSST exams, even though the school specifically states on their website that they accept them. Really, REALLY looked down upon from her advisor. But a friend of hers who is also at the school and is on the GI Bill and is working through the veterans services liaison has had a COMPLETELY different experience there, with them recommending CLEP and DSST exams, and telling him how to make sure any training he has had is on the JST, and helping him check the ACE database for ANYTHING that might get credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
"The List" of 1,400 colleges that "participate" in ACE is grossly bloated with colleges that NEVER accepted and have no intention of accepting ACE credit.

To get on the list, you can
award military job training credit to enrolled students
or
ISSUE courses for ACE credit (like my community college, that is on the list- they offer a 2 credit course through our continuing ed dept for ACE credit- ACE credit is never accepted in transfer).

That makes up the bulk of schools.

Even if schools acknowledge ACE credit (like by awarding credit for AP or CLEP) they still will evaluate EACH and EVERY course on your ACE transcript unless there is a partnership. Let me give you an example I discovered last week that is local for me. A state college (Fayetteville State University, NC) here will accept Alternative Credit Project credit on an ACE transcript (not all - but a lot). They will NOT, however, accept credit directly from ANY of the providers on that list (Straighterline, edX, Study, Sophia, Pearson). So, do they "accept ACE credit?" Yep. As long as you are exceptionally above average knowledge about the nuances of alternative credit earning.

I've had disagreements with another poster over this issue in the past, but in my OPINION, if you want a "real" list of who takes ACE credit, compile a list of all the schools on Straighterline's partnership, ACP partnership, Saylor's partnership, and stick with that list. There are others, sure, but there is NO LIST that you can see and use and rely on. My estimation is closer to 250 schools, not 1,400.
ACE military credits are NOT CLEP/DSST etc. They are different and there are two different ACE National Guides. A military experience/training ACE Guide and a civilian ACE Guide (EMI NFA etc. credits). I have tons of credits in both. The military credits are almost useless.

Most useful:
CLEP
DSST
ACE (Civilian)
ACE (Military)

I have used the above for both CPL and CBA credits from community colleges for a small fee.

dfrecore Wrote:At MANY colleges I've seen, they will accept them from military folks, but not from anyone else. It will specifically say something about them under the "Military" section of the school. So if you come from the military, they will have a whole department helping you to use your military experience to get college credit, and can be pretty open to granting credit for all kinds of things. Those people will be up on all kinds of credit - ACE, CLEP, DSST, JST, DLPF, BOOST, etc. But when you come as a regular student, the advisors will give you a blank look when you ask about ACE credit, and many times with CLEP and DSST. They probably have never even heard of it.

Here's just one example, from San Diego State University: San Diego State University, Veterans Center: Academic Credit

"Unit recommendations for service branches are made by the American Council on Education’s Commission on Education Credit and Credentials (ACE Guide).SDSU awards credit for military education, MOS Rankings (Military Occupational Specialties) and Military Experience with ACE recommended baccalaureate/associate or graduate degree category units. SDSU awards lower and/or upper division units as specified in the ACE credit recommendations. SDSU does not award credit for any vocational, technical or certificate degree category units."

My BFF's daughter goes to Cal State Monterey Bay, and has been actively discouraged from taking CLEP and DSST exams, even though the school specifically states on their website that they accept them. Really, REALLY looked down upon from her advisor. But a friend of hers who is also at the school and is on the GI Bill and is working through the veterans services liaison has had a COMPLETELY different experience there, with them recommending CLEP and DSST exams, and telling him how to make sure any training he has had is on the JST, and helping him check the ACE database for ANYTHING that might get credit.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 168 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 176 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,154 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 623 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 593 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,071 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 850 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 642 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,401 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az