Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU AS and BA question
(03-26-2019, 11:25 AM)davewill Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 10:34 PM)Ken101 Wrote: Thanks davewill. Maybe I'm overthinking this and should just get them. Would you get the 3 degrees and use them on your CV or leave the Associates off. Could they actually be of benefit? Or is it merely no harm.  I have heard that many large employers are now using Clearinghouse to verify degrees so that they would see them regardless of whether you list them on your CV or not.

If they truly take no extra effort, I say go ahead and get them and list them. I don't believe that they would count against you in any way. However, I also don't think they are worth any extra effort, money or time. When I got my BACS, I was one course away from being able to get the ASNSM in CS at the same time, but it wasn't worth taking the extra course, for me, so I didn't bother.

As davewill mentioned, I see no downside to getting them. Me neither... I would just follow exactly as shadowgem recommended, in your cv or resume, just list the highest education level you have unless it's truly relevant to jobs you're attracting... Ex: Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ. Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science

Heck, I was just a capstone course away from a BALS degree but didn't need another degree at the time, otherwise, I would have been on the same list as some people on here that have two associates and two bachelors from TESU. My BSBA is my "check the box degree", the associates were thrown in for free... makes me feel kind of like a trophy hoarder, haha...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If there is no extra work I don't see why not. You can always leave off a resume. I would 100% leave off the associates in computer science. No point in having both bachelors and associates in computer science from the same school, it is redundant on a resume/CV but if you already did the work why not get an extra degree for free.
(03-27-2019, 03:32 PM)alab21 Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 10:34 PM)Ken101 Wrote: Thanks davewill. Maybe I'm overthinking this and should just get them. Would you get the 3 degrees and use them on your CV or leave the Associates off. Could they actually be of benefit? Or is it merely no harm.  I have heard that many large employers are now using Clearinghouse to verify degrees so that they would see them regardless of whether you list them on your CV or not.

...I could see an employer looking for a programmer with strong/advanced math skills, and the AS in math might give you an edge.

I would guess that an employer looking for strong/advanced math skills would not assume that an AS in math would have that - most AS degrees don't require ANY UL courses, and frequently will allow much lower level courses into the degree than a BA/BS would, so it's of no benefit most of the time.  Instead, they might look at your transcript to see the actual math courses you took to confirm your math skills if that's what they were interested in.

Like everyone is saying on here, if it's no extra time and money, then go ahead and get the degree.  There is certainly no downside to having the degree, or in putting it on your resume.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Nobody at my company is going to be fooled by the ASNSM in math. We all know it's just a bunch of freshman and sophomore math courses that the rest of the interview committee have already taken as part of their CS degrees. Don't hype it up at the interview because that will set off our cow dung detectors. Having taken calculus is not going get you any brownie points. Nearly all open jobs at my company which require college want a BA. Now if you get a double major BA in CS and math or CS and BSBA, that's a lot more beneficial.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrailRunr's post:
  • quigongene
Thank you for your input. Those who replied thought I should get the Associates not just the BA as long as there is no extra work, time or money involved. Nobody felt these Associates degrees given the BA had any value, except a couple of posters felt the Math; Associates might have some value.

My original concern was that by getting these degrees together it could have a negative impact. Nobody could see any harm in getting them all. By this same logic, however, should I also get a Certificate in Computer Science as it’s just a throw-in requiring no extra time, work or money?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ken101's post:
  • alab21
Yes, I would get anything from them for free. If there is any additional effort, money, time, or something, then I don't think it's worth it. But because the Cert is already covered by the courses in your ASN or BA, then go for it. You don't need to list it in your resume or CV, it's a good sheet of paper you don't need to pay for. I use it as an ego booster too, haha!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Ken101

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 726 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Quick question about MAN-3760 & MAN-3730 jg_nuy 7 477 03-20-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,049 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP