Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor—which courses worth taking?
I see some mixed review of the courses with Saylor.  Which ones do you feel like are worth taking?  It appears some of the computer ones are not great.  What about liberal arts or business?  Thanks!
I'm not sure what courses you need. If it's for credit, see: https://www.saylor.org/credit/ If you want to learn, choose whatever you feel like. if it's part of a degree, consider Sophia s current offer.
My daughter is currently using Sophia. She likely won’t finish all the courses Sophia has to offer while it is free. But being 13 years old, we have time on our side. So, just wondering from those who had used Saylor which ones were considered pretty good. :-)
Considering the price of Saylor (free until you take the exam), I'd say they're all worth at least giving a try. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another person. For instance, I just finished Sophia's Approaches to Studying Religions in a day and a half and I didn't think the format/questions were all that great. But it was an easy pass for me because I was already familiar with the concepts. Your daughter, due to her age, might think that it's much more frustrating.

I haven't gotten to Saylor, yet, but I'll probably work my way through at least most of the courses; if only to have another study reference for some of the things on offer.

Reminder: she doesn't have to finish everything at Sophia before July 31st, she just has to register. And you can set the start date (IIRC) 90 days in the future. If she can go through one a week or one every two weeks, she should be able to eat through a good majority of them. Good luck to her! I wish I'd had this opportunity myself when I was that age.
(04-26-2020, 06:05 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Considering the price of Saylor (free until you take the exam), I'd say they're all worth at least giving a try. What works for one person won't ncessarily work for another person. For instance, I just finished Sophia's Approaches to Studying Religions in a day and a half and I didn't think the format/questions were all that great. But it was an easy pass for me because I was already familiar with the concepts. Your daughter, due to her age, might think that it's much more frustrating.

I haven't gotten to Saylor, yet, but I'll probably work my way through at least most of the courses; if only to have another study reference for some of the things on offer.

Reminder: she doesn't have to finish everything at Sophia before July 31st, she just has to register. And you can set the start date (IIRC) 90 days in the future. If she can go through one a week or one every two weeks, she should be able to eat through a good majority of them. Good luck to her! I wish I'd had this opportunity myself when I was that age.
Does TESU still accept Saylor or not any longer?
(04-26-2020, 07:02 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Does TESU still accept Saylor or not any longer?

As far as I can tell, it does. It has to be a Saylor Direct Credit course and some of them can only be assessed via the TECEP option. But they do still list ACE, NCCRS, or portfolio options for others.

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/s...en-courses

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/o...rse-option
Just letting you know that Sophia chimed in and let us know that we do not need to complete the course by July 31st, as long as we register by then. 

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...lem?page=3
[-] The following 1 user Likes walkingbyfaith's post:
  • rachel83az
It is also possible to continue pushing the Sophia start date forward into the future. I bought three courses last year when they had the awesome coupon and I have just been pushing the start dates forward every month or so. So, I would sign up for all of them and then just do that after July until you can get to them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • rachel83az
Back to the original question - the only course I've heard that's good is Marketing. And that Management is bad. I know that the CS402: Computer Communications and Networks is terrible (or at least it was). But it expired.

They've also updated some courses, and come out with some new ones. So it's going to be really hard to answer your question for most people. I will say that I think the courses I've looked at were very cumbersome, with lots of broken links. I've not gotten through anything yet. But I think you'd just have to try them and see. They're free, so worth at least trying.

But, I think in this case, you get what you pay for. Generally speaking, the course providers who have you pay for courses have better courses than the free ones. Generally.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az
I saw on the forums a few posts saying Business Law and Finance aren't bad. I have not taken them but I did browse the finance course (and by that, I mean looking at for like ten minutes) and didn't seem terrible. I've heard most of the business courses aren't bad IF you have prior knowledge and experience of business, but anything is easier if you have knowledge and experience of the subject. However, I've heard the computer courses are difficult even if you do have extensive knowledge of the subject.

Note I've not taken these courses myself. It is all based on what I've read on the forums and the internet, your mileage may vary.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 844 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 677 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 8 7,148 03-29-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,014 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 404 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,629 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,011 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,966 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 567 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 322 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77