Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor Statistics vs DSST
For those considering Saylor statistics, I want to share portions of an email exchange I've had with a parent this past semester - these snips represent our conversations from May until today. Saylor's course content is free, and the exam can be free with a local proctor - but you can use proctorU for $25. This parent used the content and Khan but her daughter failed the exam 5 times, even after hiring a private tutor. After her failed attempt, I suggested her daughter take the DSST, which she did (and passed) but I wanted to share her comments since it is very relevant to the info here.

------

"My daughter has been working on Saylor Academy's Intro to Statistics course...She's taking her proctored final exam today, 5/9/18"

"she didn’t pass. She can take again in 2 weeks"

"Honest feedback - - this course stinks. There are two source texts which don’t follow each other as far as scope and sequence are concerned. The calculators don’t work. They rely heavily on Khan Academy videos, which isn’t a problem in and of itself, however, the formulas Khan Academy presents are different from the formulas Saylor presents. It’s been very difficult.

I even started taking the class along with her so we could be study buddies and I am hopelessly lost. "

"She took the ProctorU exam 5 times and could not pass it. The last time was after the Saylor Statistics course received ACE credit recommendation status. (Jennifer's comment- previously this course was only offered for credit via ACPE, so it's possible that these changes are reflected in a revised exam)

Prior to taking her last exam, we paid a private tutor for several sessions. The tutor was able to look at the previously failed exams and confirmed that several of the questions did not offer a correct answer, according to her calculations.

Further, after the ACE credit granting date, she was unable to see her previous results. The new exam had at least one question which did not populate the potential 4 answers. They simply populated as:
A) A
B) B
C) C
D) D

Again, I am extremely dissatisfied with this course from Saylor and the ProctorU process associated with it.

Thankfully, she subsequently took and passed the DSST on her first attempt and has her high school diploma in hand. "

---
Yes I've heard some horror stories like this about a few of the Saylor courses. Has anyone been keeping track of which Saylor courses are broken/undoable? I was thinking of doing some of their courses later but I don't want to waste my time.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Looking at this, I can't figure out what the process is to obtain ACE approval. Doesn't seem like this course should have gotten it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-18-2018, 11:17 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Looking at this, I can't figure out what the process is to obtain ACE approval. Doesn't seem like this course should have gotten it.

That's a good question. My *best guess* which is totally a guess, is that anyone with ACPE approval was grandfathered in (assuming they paid $)
Unfortunately, the content problems (both inconsistent content and missing content) aren't that unusual with Saylor courses. However, I have found Saylor themselves to be responsive. Did they ever respond about the actual test errors?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-20-2018, 08:49 AM)davewill Wrote: Unfortunately, the content problems (both inconsistent content and missing content) aren't that unusual with Saylor courses. However, I have found Saylor themselves to be responsive. Did they ever respond about the actual test errors?

My husband contacted them after taking the CS402: Computer Communications and Networks final exam, which was riddled with errors.  They blew him off.  So we are a "never Saylor" family here.  Tongue
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 413 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,902 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,561 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 571 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,380 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 881 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,182 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SL Business Statistics - is the final open-book? AW84 5 622 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study resources for Saylor courses Personherebb9 0 752 12-05-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Personherebb9
  Study.com Business 212 business statistics thepoetvd776 1 747 11-24-2022, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az