Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor - encouraging news
I wanted to share this because Saylor Academy courses (specifically their exams) are often legend to be unpassable.

I haven't taken their exams, and my kids haven't, however - I love the format and the price (free to $25) so I wanted to share this really encouraging news from an email I received this week.

" My son(10th grade)has taken and passed College Algebra, Psychology (not on plan), Microeconomics , Macroeconomics, and Introduction to Business.
He will be testing on Sunday Principles of Management andOperations Management.
Daughter testing Sunday(8th grade) College Algebra
It is a great plan and layed out well. I hope it continues to work out."
That is good news. Hopefully they are improving things over there. I did see on the blog a few weeks ago that they are releasing new study guides for the courses, so maybe that will make studying for the final more straightforward.

https://www.saylor.org/2018/10/saylor-ac...u-succeed/
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Davar and CSU Global have the easiest to follow study materials. Saylor should take a look at their models. Davar keeps it simple with slides, and those slides directly correspond with their exams. CSU Global's study materials are laid out in modules similar to what one would find in an online course. Their study materials are very detailed, but not overbearing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Muldoon
I completed the Cellular Biology and Comparative Politics exams with Saylor. They seemed fairly easy. The questions are a bit tricky and ambivalent at times, but I have observed that in SDC too. The problem with Saylor though, is their study material. Feels very disorganized and all over the place. Guess I feel so bcos I am getting used to SDC's targeted and 'to-the-point' approach. I actually used some of SDC's AP-Biology videos to understand the concepts in Saylor Biology course. Saylor suggests multiple text books, videos etc. and the language styles vastly differ sometimes. Those were my challenges.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
I think people mainly have issues with their CS exams because they cover very old tecnologies, and some of the "correct" answers are wrong.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-18-2018, 10:08 PM)sanantone Wrote: I think people mainly have issues with their CS exams because they cover very old tecnologies, and some of the "correct" answers are wrong.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing. I took the networking one and failed by a large margin on the first attempt. The exam was full of incorrect answers and ambiguous questions with no correct answer. I have a fair amount of experience with networking so this was frustrating, but i managed to squeak by with a 70% on the second attempt. I feel the same way about that second exam, but I just guessed right and it worked out.

After studying for a few weeks, I took the Strategic Information Technology exam and missed the passing grade by 3 questions. I actually took screenshots of the answers I chose appearing in the study material and asked them to adjust my grade. I doubt they will, but it's incredibly frustrating to sludge through all that material, give the answer from the assigned readings, and then have it marked as wrong.

I'm studying for the Software Engineering one right now and I'm not very optimistic that I'll be able to pass. The other 2 courses I already was familiar with the topics and concepts, but this is just 900 pages of textbook of things I don't already know, plus 10 hours of youtube videos, and a dozen other long articles and webpages. Plus, the tests seem to contain questions about specific sentences in the study material instead of testing for understanding of the material/concepts. If they pull the obscure questions from a single sentence in one of the readings, I doubt I'll remember that exact sentence. Maybe I should shift gears and spend the extra money on CSU, I just thought if I could pass these it'd be the best option.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
Did you try writing to Saylor with the screenshots attached? If you missed by a very narrow margin owing to wrong answers, they should probably consider your case and award you a passing grade for that attempt. Did you have to pay for the proctoring services again on your second attempt? Saylor might also want to reimburse you for that. Not sure what their policies are, but if you are sure about the wrong answers, then you deserve to be heard.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • camjenks
You probably won't be reimbursed but I can confirm that they will correct a grade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoshDosMil's post:
  • camjenks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 415 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,561 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 572 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,383 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 883 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,182 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study resources for Saylor courses Personherebb9 0 753 12-05-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Personherebb9
  Easiest ACE accredited courses on Saylor cfoster 5 1,404 11-15-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Initial Saylor exam test experiment vetvso 15 2,481 11-15-2022, 10:55 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Saylor Study & common degrees it's used for vetvso 4 867 09-24-2022, 11:20 PM